Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

World Models Sky Raider Mach II

Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

World Models Sky Raider Mach II

Old 05-30-2007, 08:54 AM
broke_n_bummin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default World Models Sky Raider Mach II

Has anyone ever had one of these? I have the opportunity to pick one up fairly cheap, and I was wondering if anyone has ever had one. I've only had one other sport plane, an ultrasport 40. All the rest have been warbirds, profile, 3D and gliders ... oh ... and an SSE. I still dunno which category it falls in.
Old 05-30-2007, 09:37 AM
antique opa

Default RE: World Models Sky Raider Mach II

The w/m srm2 is only 69.99 new. We use them for club 40 racing with .40 size engines. They fly really well. If your going to sport fly it, put a .46 in it. They are fast ,fun, cheap.
Old 05-30-2007, 06:22 PM
TideFlyer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the WM T-34. Very good quality and flyability. You have to hunt pretty hard to find a negative review of a WM plane ( including the Mach II ).
Old 05-30-2007, 06:50 PM
broke_n_bummin

Well, my avitar is my WM Tecate bipe. It was my first, and it was like adopting an ADHD teenager. But, in time it smoothed out and got used to me. It's had a couple ... ummmm ... less than desirable landings, and it's been recovered. But it's still a solid flyer. The Skyraider is one I saw on E Bay. It's pretty close to me and the guy said I could come pick it up to save shipping. He says it's got a GP42 in it and all the servos. It looks like it's in pretty good shape. I was just wondering if it's going to be like adopting another hyper adolescent or if it's fairly predictable.
Old 05-31-2007, 03:03 PM
AERORICH73

Hi Broke: I have a new II still in the box. Club members are flying these planes here a lot due to the low price. With so many planes to fly, I have not flown my II. Ok, the reason for answering your thread is that I was given a Skyraider I after a crash. In repairing it, I found the construction very unique,BUT had very thin wood used making the plane very light in weight. This gives rise to lack of impact strength if hitting the runway to hard which was done with this donated model. I was not impressed with the strength of the engine firewall installation. The .42 engine you mentioned is a good size for this model, and will run forever with a good castor oil fuel. Both models are good flyers from watching the other club members do their thing in the air, and stable when landing. Make sure all of the control rods are not binding anywhere. I found the donated plane had a lot of control rod binding when exiting out of the fuse.

Rich S.
Old 06-01-2007, 03:39 PM
Sean C
My Feedback: (25)

Hi,
I'm learning to fly on this plane and I'm very pleased with how it flies. Construction issues I encountered were the following:

• Covering needed to be tacked down along all seams and is still having trouble staying on
• Aileron torque rods are uneven and one side is rather tight
• No way to add foam around the fuel tank short of hacking and recovering the fuse
• Landing gear is very weak
• Tee-nut placement for wing bolts is slightly off and incorrectly angled. It's a chore to get the wing bolted on.

Not too bad for an inexpensive ARF, I suppose. If only it looked as good as it flies... [&o]
Old 06-02-2007, 03:22 AM
AERORICH73

Hi fellows: The thought just occurred to me that I failed to mention something about ARF models. Having worked on full size planes most of my life, I just take in stride the problems encountered when assembling an ARF plane. With many years of building experience, I just go through the normal correction to complete planes when the mfg has either added an error, or some constuction mistake. The point about ARF's is that a perfectly mfg plane is not what you normally get when opening up the shipping container. Depending on construction experience, or a lot of reading in the Harry Higley books, ARF, Airborne I, and II. will the thought come as to what has to be corrected to make the finish plane fly well, and be confident that it can be flown safely. For example. Have the flight control hinges been pinned, the battery moved as far forward as possible, as well as the servos, and are the control rods free of binding. What about the flight control connections? Are there plastic to plastic and metal to metal connections at the servo arms, and flight control horns? Are metal clevises used at the plastic servo arm, and flight control horns. Keep in mind that just because the hardware that comes with the plane does not mean it is the best to use in a plane that can fly in the 60mph range. Each pilot is responsible for flying a safe model, not the mfger. Am I splitting hairs here, YES I am because it only takes one crash injury to put a pilot in deep legal do-do. It is my suggestion to get the Higley books even if having years of experience in the modeling hobby. It is far better to be to smart than the other way around. I have seen a lot of models that caused a chill down my back, and the pilots had a lot better flying skills than I possess, but had questionable, safe, flying models.

Take the time to assemble it for safe flying, and the only thing left to do is practice the flying skill part of the hobby.

[email protected]
Old 06-04-2007, 12:52 PM
glydrjocky

Watch out for the tail feathers!!!! I reached down to look at the tail covering on a club memebers Sky Raider and found the veritcal stab wobbling all over the place. Two screws hold the whole empenage to the fuselage section going up through the stab and up into the vertical. The screws had backed out approx 1/16th of an inch when I discovered it. Preflights are manditory for real airplanes but never seem to get done on models until its too late. Always preflight your aircraft [:-] and give everything a good once over.

T
Old 06-08-2007, 09:25 PM
A6Ordie

The SkyRaider is an awesome plane for the bucks. It flies great and isn't to horrible to put together. The landing gear is a bit weak and the covering is a bit thin plus ugly as sin. They are extremely light and will accept a variety of engines. I had a Mag 46 on mine and it was a blast with an 10x6 prop. A guy at our field has a Saito 100 on his and I keep waiting for it to fly apart, but it just trucks right along. Almost everyone at our field has either a Mach I or II. I would glue anything you can get to and I peeled off a bit of covering on the tail section and glued that together. The screws seemed a bit weak to me.

Good Luck,
Dave
Old 06-11-2007, 07:40 PM
cjackgo

The best .46 size ARF you can buy for $70. The Mach I is a very good trainer and the Mach II is the perfect second plane. Daves right tho, I always (on every plane I own) paint UHU glue on every seam I can reach. The landing gear does need to be strengthened. But I've managed to scrape the landing gear off of almost every plane I've owned, so I automatically reinforce it. Ugly on the ground but beautiful in the air.

Jack
Old 06-25-2007, 08:25 PM
binky99

ORIGINAL: Bernowt

Hi,
I'm learning to fly on this plane and I'm very pleased with how it flies. Construction issues I encountered were the following:

• Covering needed to be tacked down along all seams and is still having trouble staying on
• Aileron torque rods are uneven and one side is rather tight
• No way to add foam around the fuel tank short of hacking and recovering the fuse
• Landing gear is very weak
• Tee-nut placement for wing bolts is slightly off and incorrectly angled. It's a chore to get the wing bolted on.

Not too bad for an inexpensive ARF, I suppose. If only it looked as good as it flies... [&o]
Bernowt, I am building one now and your right....foam around the fuel tank is next to impossible. To try and cushion the fuel tank, I cut 3 pieces of fuel line .....2 at about an inch long and 1 at an inch and a half long. I then sliced all three pieces and fit them over the bulkhead at the rear of the tank. Thinking about it now.....I should have done the same to the square stock that is epoxied in at the back of the tank. Hopefully I will have this thing up and flying by the weekend..............I will let you know how it did.
Old 07-04-2007, 01:57 PM
BlackB12
My Feedback: (9)

I have a skyraider with about 200+ flights on it in a year. Started with a Supertigre GS40 engine with a 10x6 prop. Great combo. The plane flew fast and smooth, full throttle dives tracked well and no flutter, not even a hint. I then was given a supertigre 51. Put that on and it was a real screamer with unlimited and FAST vertical, and a little more speed on the level. The plane still held together. I used locktight on the stab bolts and they've never loosened even with all these hard flights. I then moved the ST51 to another plane and now I put the 40 back on the skyraider. Fuse basket weave covering was looking like crap so I stripped it. Then one day the top of wing lost it's covering midflight! I just keep patching areas as they fall off. It's uglier than sin, but that's part of the charm. Still flies sooo smooth and precise. I keep trying to find it's limits, even holds up to full speed snaps. They look violent, but it keeps flying. So far the entire bottom covering (pink from the factory!) is still tight and holding on fine. Definitely worth 69 bucks. Oh as far as weak landing gear, I don't agree. Mine flopped hard a couple times, hard enough to bend the gear back to the wing, but never broke the LG block. Once though I lost an elevator servo on landing approach and it basically froze and went in at about a 45 degree angle, basically a landing with no flare. Snapped the prop, and cracked, I'll say it again, cracked the hardwood block. Five minute epoxy thinned with a heat gun flowed into the crack and fixed the gear block good as new. I probably have 400 landings on it easy as I do a lot of touch and goes with this plane. Sure is one great flying, cheap, durable and most of all, UGLY plane, especially now. See pic!

Mike
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63004.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	163.9 KB
ID:	716197   Click image for larger version

Name:	To44508.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	716198   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv56114.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	132.1 KB
ID:	716199  
Old 07-05-2007, 11:05 AM
Sean C
My Feedback: (25)

ORIGINAL: binky99

Bernowt, I am building one now and your right....foam around the fuel tank is next to impossible. To try and cushion the fuel tank, I cut 3 pieces of fuel line .....2 at about an inch long and 1 at an inch and a half long. I then sliced all three pieces and fit them over the bulkhead at the rear of the tank. Thinking about it now.....I should have done the same to the square stock that is epoxied in at the back of the tank. Hopefully I will have this thing up and flying by the weekend..............I will let you know how it did.
The fuel tank that comes with the plane is a 370cc (12.5oz). I replaced mine with a world models 320cc (10.8oz) so that I could get some 1/4" foam around it and between the tank and firewall. No more fuel foaming for me. [8D]

ORIGINAL: BlackB12

Oh as far as weak landing gear, I don't agree. Mine flopped hard a couple times, hard enough to bend the gear back to the wing, but never broke the LG block.
Sorry, I just meant the wire landing gear, not the blocks. But I suppose its better to bend than break... [&:]
Old 07-05-2007, 07:50 PM
Carlos Murphy
My Feedback: (72)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great little planes, I went through three of them while racing , #2 and 3 used the vert fin and rudder from #1 cuz thats all that was left after midairs and crashes and it still had my # on it.

I just got a new one covered in their new "Toughlon" covering in orange and hung Hangar-9 floats under it, power is a OS 46 AX.

Carlos Murphy
Old 07-06-2007, 07:34 PM
mike07

hey guys i see y'all talking about the mach II i have one and i love it i put a os ax 46 on it don't like the covering so i recovered it go to my profile and look under photo galley and see what y'all think on the frist flight i took out the landing gear but i used two pieces of med thin ply and epoxyed them together and added one brace it has helted great so far
Old 07-06-2007, 08:47 PM
Carlos Murphy
My Feedback: (72)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks good mike,

I saw a pic of one a guy built with two fuses like a P-82 Mustang, looked like fun.
Old 07-09-2007, 01:06 PM
Hughie42

Dudes,

I used a Sky Raider II (actually 2 of them) as targets for an All Arms Air Defence practice. In their short and glorious lives I found the following:

1. The tank foams up like a champion. Was using OS 46 AX with an 11x7. The whole thing vibrated tremendously, probably cause I didn't balance the prop, but the thing was shot to peices, including the engine in the space of 1 hour, so it didn't really matter. I got around 7 mins flight at full noise before it started to suck air.

2. The covering comes off easily and needs a fair bit of tacking. I used CA. Short term model.

3. The tail also wanted to vibrate off. Lock-tite fixed that.

Sorry for reiterating what everyone else has said. On a side note what do you think of the OS 46 AX vs the LA or Thunder Tiger. The OS motor seems to be a real pig to tune the low end. I have an inverted 55 AX, and it is still causing me grief. Are they an air bleed system or fuel leaning system??

Ta
Old 07-13-2007, 08:47 PM
binky99

Mine is flying great...........46 LA on it. This is my first low wing plane and I am loving it. Hard to fly high wing trainers inverted for any length of time, but this thing seems to love being inverted. For the money and time required to assemble it..............a great plane.
Old 08-14-2007, 05:45 PM
binky99

ORIGINAL: Hughie42

Dudes,

The whole thing vibrated tremendously, probably cause I didn't balance the prop, but the thing was shot to peices, including the engine in the space of 1 hour

Ta
Mine was the same way.....front of fuse vibrates like mad with a slightly unbalanced prop. Mine flies great and have had little trouble with it. Once prop was balanced properly, the only other problem I had was the covering on LE of wing coming loose. Nothing alcohol and an iron couldn't fix. Great flying plane.
Old 08-14-2007, 11:02 PM
medtek

what dose this mach 2 look like? i just had one stole from me here in fla on good friday. mine has been redone as miss budweiser. it has miss budweiser on both wings and down the fuselage the covering on the body is red metal flake and the wings are transparent red please let me know the charlotte county sheriffs dept is looking for that on and 8 others that was stolen along with my trailer here in port charlotte fla.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39709.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	742368  
Old 08-20-2007, 10:56 PM
A6Ordie

I just got a couple of these and they have changed the covering schemes! They are now solid colors. White, Yellow, Red and Orange. They still come with the same decal package and lame instructions, but the ugly basket weave is GONE! Thank goodness They also went up in price 10 bucks, but still worth it.