Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

small vs large plane

Community
Search
Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

small vs large plane

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 01:58 PM
jeffk464

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default small vs large plane

I've read over and over again that large planes fly better than small planes. Recently I've started getting into larger planes because of the previous statement and now after putting a lot of money into them I have to say I'm not impressed. They seem to me to be slow lumbering beasts, I have ten times more fun flying my 40 and 60 sized planes. A non scale 60 sized airframe, pattern style like the one in the picture, seems to be just as stable and way more muneverable. Has anyone else had this experience?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77277.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	12.4 KB
ID:	705747  
Old 06-17-2007, 02:39 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: small vs large plane

To each his own...I know they LOOK like they fly slower when larger and depending on what type of flying you do they may not be 'for you' For example I have a 50cc powered H9 Cap - unlimited vertical and it loves to snap (intentional or not) and it grooves - I like that. I'd prefer NOT to fly my son's 33% but would rather fly my H9 Funtana 50X or my H9 P-47-150....it's all up to the individual. If you like the .40-.60 sized birds best - don't look back and fly 'em like you stole 'em
Old 06-18-2007, 01:10 PM
rclement
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

jeffk464, I know what you mean. I bought a Sig Mayhem (90 size) and I really didn't have all that much fun with it compared to my 40 size profiles and others. Bigger birds are easier to see and are more impressive that's for sure but I tended to go back to the smaller ones. They both have their advantages.
Old 06-19-2007, 10:28 AM
Teachu2
My Feedback: (133)

I have trouble relaxing and enjoying a $2000+ plane. I can have a ball with a smaller, much less expensive one and not be shattered when it is....as they all will be eventually.
Old 06-19-2007, 04:16 PM
jeffk464

I know I have the most fun with my planes that I have already "gotten my money's worth out of", because at that point I'm willing to try anything with them.
Old 06-19-2007, 04:30 PM
RCVFR
My Feedback: (7)

What sort of larger planes is it you don't like? "Larger" is not very descriptive.
Old 06-19-2007, 06:08 PM
jeffk464

I recently maidened a 73" Extra with a super tiger 2300 on the nose.
Old 06-19-2007, 08:10 PM
buzzard bait

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm finishing a Four Star 60--biggest plane I've ever built, in many years of modeling. Seems a hassle in my workshop, but maybe it's flying qualities will win me over. My others have been an .020, an .033, a couple .049s, .061, a couple .09s, a couple 15s, a couple .25s, a new .30, and three .40s. Oh yes, the .91 biplane, but it's smaller than the Four Star. Small planes get a bad rep when built too heavy--I've really enjoyed mine. Jim
Old 06-19-2007, 09:54 PM
broke_n_bummin

I have a Ziroli Corsair with a 50cc that only gets flown once or maybe twice a year. Not because it doesn't fly well, but because I have so much $$$ tied up in it I would probably have a stroke if something were to go wrong and it crashed. The last time I had her up one of the gear didn't fully extend. I set her down in some weeds, but from the time I noticed the gear till I inspected it after the landing, you couldn't have driven a pencil up my butt with a hammer. Now, every time I get it out of the shop to drive it around the yard I have flashbacks and start getting the shakes.
As for the quality of flying, I couldn't give an unbiased opinion. Even before the gear mishap, I wouldn't do some of the things I'd do with a 40 or 60 size. Loops and barrel rolls were it for aerobatics.
I don't know that larger planes fly better, but for me, the more $$ I have invested, the more docile it flies.
Old 06-19-2007, 10:34 PM
jship
My Feedback: (4)

I have a ST 2300 in a laser. This is the second engine in this plane. the 2300 is a heavy engine. It makes my light laser fly heavy. I built a kit built four star 60 this year and it is my new best plane. It will do anything I want to do. Just a lot of fun!
I like the 40-60 size best of all. Thats just me.[8D]

john in missouri
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15779.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	707455   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37730.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	707456  
Old 06-20-2007, 03:16 AM
BankYank
My Feedback: (63)

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Don't take this wrong. I think some of it has to do with experience. For me they all felt kinda the same in the air for the first few 3-4 years(The smaller 40-60 size planes) When i moved up to a little larger size plane's i noticed they would fly better and i think some of it has to do with the weight also. Now that im into the 70ish WS and bigger planes you can tell a good flier from a bad flier before the first circuit is done usually. For me bigger does fly better. With the big one's you really need to set your self up for where the plane is going. You cant just force it there like a small plane. I don't know about 3ding though as im not into that. I have a 10 foot WS Cessna weights 27 pounds. It flies 10 times better then the TF Cessna.Yeah i have built 2 of them. I still fly the smaller planes sometimes but they still seem to be small flitty little things to me anyway.
Pat
Old 06-22-2007, 12:07 PM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

When I hear small plane I think of my small planes. I have several scale foamie electrics with around a 24" wingspan, I have several even smaller rubberband jobs, and I have glow driven aircraft ranging from .15 up to a .90. In my case its the ability to haul the airplanes without the use of a trailer. If it doesn't fit my vehicles I don't build it. It easy to find any plane in any size, pick what you like and go for it, but don't be afraid to dabble in the other guy's favorite, you may surprise yourself. I'm in Oklahoma so the constant varable winds (they are everything but still) do affect the number of days or the type of flying I can do with my small planes but that is part of the challange and fun of R/C flying. Next I plan on trying a small electric Helicopter. I'm not interested in the big gas jobs right just in buzzing the household.
Old 06-23-2007, 03:25 PM
bboykin

i am newbee was whanting to know about spacewalker have chance to purchase one 1/4 size with 91 os engine will this fly like the one on g3.5 simulator the plane flies great on sim what am i to expect in real life have got attaboy from rc universe just want to do simple aerobatics not the fancy 3d as of right now
Old 06-23-2007, 07:08 PM
SoCalSal
My Feedback: (16)

ORIGINAL: broke_n_bummin

I have a Ziroli Corsair with a 50cc that only gets flown once or maybe twice a year. Not because it doesn't fly well, but because I have so much $$$ tied up in it I would probably have a stroke if something were to go wrong and it crashed. The last time I had her up one of the gear didn't fully extend. I set her down in some weeds, but from the time I noticed the gear till I inspected it after the landing, you couldn't have driven a pencil up my butt with a hammer. Now, every time I get it out of the shop to drive it around the yard I have flashbacks and start getting the shakes.
As for the quality of flying, I couldn't give an unbiased opinion. Even before the gear mishap, I wouldn't do some of the things I'd do with a 40 or 60 size. Loops and barrel rolls were it for aerobatics.
I don't know that larger planes fly better, but for me, the more $$ I have invested, the more docile it flies.

I have a 33% Waco YMF5 with about $7,000 tied up in it. Does it make me nervous to fly it?????????you bet. Does it fly well?????you bet. Am I scared of some type of equipment failure????????????? NEVER as I bought the best I could afford and treat it just as I would my full scale plane.pre check every flight, preventive maintaince, and all is well. I can see this monster in the sky wich is a good thing. It is slow and I like that. Would I fly a smaller plane you bet. It all boils down to what flips your switch. Fly what puts the biggest smile on your face and don't worry about how big or small it is.
Old 06-25-2007, 05:54 PM
Jackster00

Jeff:
If you REALLY want a small one, and lots of fun, get a Herr Cloud Ranger. I'll tell you, it's an .049-.061 size, but I've put a .15 Thundertiger on it and it is a real handful! I chose the Cloud Ranger because you get ailerons. The others I've seen that size don't have them. Sure, it's flat-bottom wing and all, but it'll do a snap roll better than anything I've had, in fact, you'll have to work to keep it to a single snap! Evidently, the airframe and wing stand up to the .15 engine, as I've never had a structural failure of any kind. You'll have to experiment with different size wire landing gear to suit your landing abilities, as it's real bouncy and touchy on landing, and the tailwheel mounting and the elevator half connections need to be beefed up, but it's a very fast building little aircraft. Everything is inexpensive on this plane, and if you lose it, shucks, just build another one for cheap. I love mine.
Jackster
Old 06-26-2007, 01:22 PM
Gringo Flyer
My Feedback: (18)

ORIGINAL: bboykin

i am newbee was whanting to know about spacewalker have chance to purchase one 1/4 size with 91 os engine will this fly like the one on g3.5 simulator the plane flies great on sim what am i to expect in real life have got attaboy from rc universe just want to do simple aerobatics not the fancy 3d as of right now
It will fly it but it will be a little underpowered. The Spacewalker is not a 3D plane its designed for sport scale acrobatics but even that will be limited without a bigger engine. Also, if your a newbee better save the spacewalker till after you get a lot of flight time on a good trainer. If you get the spacewalker take all the gear out of it and put it in a 60 sized trainer.
Old 06-28-2007, 06:48 AM
SST
My Feedback: (2)

I have been getting rid of most of my planes that I can't hand launch and belly land. I have mostly .049-.15 size left, and I can take half a dozen and my big SIG field boss & 3-4 Tx's to the field in the back seat of my Mega Cab...
Old 07-08-2007, 10:14 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I fly all sizes of planes and it's true, bigger is better. Much more stable and very easy to see, just smoother all the way. My smaller planes get the most air time though mainly because they are easier to haul and I am able to get three planes in my van instead of just two.
Because of the size they just look slower. My 27% Sukhoi would do anything my 60 size Kaos would do and looked A bunch better doing it.
I started to fly A 60size Hots this season and I like it so much I just started the build on the 91 inch Hots. Not an IMAC plane but the Hots series is just fun to fly in any size.
At one point I had the 32 size Extra, and the 1/4 scale Extra plus I was flying A 33% Extra. All of them were nice, the big ones were just smoother.
Put your money down and fly what you like, there all fun!!