Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

Seagull Ultimate

Community
Search
Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

Seagull Ultimate

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 02:29 PM
broke_n_bummin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seagull Ultimate

Has anyone put together one of these things? I almost came home with one this morning. The sticker on it said $199 and I thought that was a steal for a .90 size ultimate ... but I got home and looked it up on the net, and everyone's selling them for that. Are they cheap built? Scimpy hardware? Poor quality work / material? I was gonna take it home with me, but my horriblescope told me not to take risks with money today.
Old 07-20-2007, 02:55 PM
DadsToysBG
My Feedback: (35)

Default RE: Seagull Ultimate

Sold one yesterday. We took it of the box and everything looked good. Every Seagull that i have sold looks and flys much better then the price inplys. Since this plane is so new I dought that there are any flying yet. Dennis
Old 07-20-2007, 03:12 PM
meaden

I just put a Seagull YAK togther and had no problems with the quality. I changed some things. The hardware and the engine mount but that was more from my personal preference than from what was provided.
Old 07-23-2007, 02:15 PM
sundqvistjohan

Is it easy to remove the wings for tranportation? (I have a Seagull Yak-54)
Old 07-23-2007, 04:25 PM
rcuman

I bought a Seagull Razzle a year ago and it was the best 3d plane I had ever flown. Right up until the splat on the ground. It was my fault of course. I was impressed with the quality for the price. I would recommend a Seagull model.

heheheh kinda sounds like a sales pitch.
Old 07-26-2007, 01:13 AM
chandelle

Have 5 or 6 flights on mine now. Flies very well, like an Ultimate is supposed to. The build quality is great, I have been happy with every seagull model I have had so far. Overall the hardware is pretty decent. The control horns are great, but the clevis and linkage are metric. I prefer a different style clevis, so had to change the control rods to inch dimensional....but that seems to be true of most arfs.

As far as assy at the field. It is a lot better than some of the bipes I have had.....but it is a bipe, so it takes a few minutes. The bottom wing slides on an aluminum tube and is held on with two plastic wings bolts on each side. The wing bolts are designed to be tightened by hand, no tool needed. Then the cockpit section goes on....two bolts there, allen wrench. The top wing also slides on an aluminum tube that goes through a permanent mounted center rib (like most of the large ultimates have now). The the two sides are held together with two more plastic wing bolts....same deal, finger style, no tools. The interplane struts require four bolt/nut each....but allen is same size as cockpit bolts. Then aileron interconnect linkage.

Overall, very impressed with plane. relatively easy to assy at field. Initial build is a piece of cake....I think this is the quickest I have put an ARF together in a long time. Quality is very good and finish is different than what you see on ultimates every day.

Also a great size, reasonably big but don't need a dedicated trailer for it. Mine has the Saito 1.25 on it, a perfect match. I have no problem recommending this plane.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:44 AM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Chandelle, Can you tell me what prop you are using and have tried? Also what % of nitro you are using. I was thinking of running a 15x6 on 15% on mine. I have flown a friends Showtime with a 1.25 and a 16x4W. I am unimpressed with the verticle and spool up on it.

Thanks David
Old 07-28-2007, 04:05 AM
sundqvistjohan

Thank you for your answer Candelle!
A video would be great
Old 07-30-2007, 02:54 PM
picard10th

Will it pull out of a hover strong with the 125?
Old 08-04-2007, 11:44 PM
chandelle

Sorry, have been away.

I am using a 16-6 Master Airscrew prop and 15% cool power, that has been my personal preference on the 1.25.

I'm not a big 3-D person, so my plane is set up (throws and CG) for standard aerobatics.....but as far as vertical, the 1.25 will pull it out of site in a hurry. I have done some torque rolls with it and it will pull out pretty well......though maybe not as strong as some of the dedicated 3-D planes I have seen. Also, the motor I have on this plane is still very new, less than a gallon through it total....and we all know Saitos get a little stronger after a few gallons

For what it's worth, I am really happy with the plane/motor. I can't think of another motor I would want in it's place

Unfortunately, I don't have a way to put a video on the computer.

Also, for those wondering about the colors, it shows up in the air great....no problem with orientation or visibility.
Old 08-05-2007, 10:21 AM
daveopam

Thanls for the reply. I was thinking 16x4W or 15x6. Sound like I am in the ballpark.

Thanks Again,David
Old 08-28-2007, 12:23 PM
nickleo

I just test flew my Seagull Ultimate 90 today. I only put an OS 91FX in mine with a pitts muffler. I was afraid that it would be underpowered, so I set all the control throws to the recommended settings. I was very surprised at how it flew. On the first flight it was stable as a rock, but the recommended control throws were just not enough. I had to use throttle to land it because I ran out of elevator. I adjusted the throws and the second flight was perfect. It landed very easy with no stall attendances.
A .90 2 Stroke is fine just for sport flying, but you would need at least a 1.20 four stroke to 3D it.
This airplane flyies as good as it looks

Old 08-28-2007, 06:24 PM
daveopam

Chandelle, Any idea what RPM your getting with the 16x6. I didn't buy the 16x6 because my buddy has one on his 1.25 in a Showtime. It is a turd with this prop. We tached it the other day. He is turning 8,200 on 15%. My new 1.25 turned a 16x4W @ 9,600 useing the same tach and 15%. His motor just never seams to unwind.

David

BTW there is a great thread on this plane in the ARF forum
Old 08-28-2007, 09:03 PM
yellerchamp
My Feedback: (42)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been looking at a seagull extra 60 size, I have a 90 4stroke, any one knows how it flys. I like the weight I think the edge is a little heavy...thanks
Old 09-02-2007, 10:31 AM
Magical_Merlin

Can one of you fellas that own the Ultimate post what the servo requirements are? Also read somewhere that this plane has a pull-pull rudder. Is this correct? Thanks.
Old 09-03-2007, 10:45 AM
daveopam

The pull/pull is correct. All the book says is 6 digital servos. I used Futaba 70oz digitals on the aile. I used 2 stock Futabas on the elev. Each elev half has it's own servo mounted inboard. I used a 3305 Futaba on the rudder. It is a 99oz metal gear. And a stock servo for the throttle.
One of the things I like about this plane is you don't see all the servos sticking out of the tail.
The aile servos do stick out of the wing but they are on the bottom.

Ask if you need anything else, David
Old 09-05-2007, 03:00 PM
FlyingGreg
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was looking at one at the LHS yesterday. I can get for $180. Verrrrrrrrry tempting. I have a Goldberg Ultimate (kit) with a .91FS. Flies great, but no vertical pull out with small engine. Had a Saito 1.80 on it and it would go straight up for ever, but not much fun to fly. I can't do much 3D anyway and the 1.80 drank fuel at a rapid rate. I have the Seagull Harrier and it has been a fine plane. No hesitation here, with Seagull. FWIW.

Greg
Old 02-15-2008, 12:40 AM
tman1961

I purchased this bird a while ago and just got arround to buildingit. Ipu a Saito 1.80 in it with a dubro vibration isolation mount. I had to modify the firewall a bit but not much. I put the battery on the mount behind the canopy and it ballanced very well. I have flown it twice and have found it to be a very good flyer. It does most airobatics @ approx. 1/3 throtol and hovers just above half. Ilands like a dream but I have found that after 2 flights, the control links for the upper ailerons have worn from vibration so I am going to replace them with carbon fiber rod and ball links. So far, I am very pleased with this model. However, if you are not an experianced builder, you will have trouble understanding the instruction manual as it is very vague.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw69169.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	878999  
Old 02-15-2008, 12:03 PM
jetmech05

My Bud has one. I have the Goldburg Ultimate...My friend found that the 90 was under powering the plane...he went with a 120. side by side compairison... the Seagull is taller, and heavier than the Goldburg. The wing is thicker so more drag.
With the 1.20 the Seagull quickly became my friends airplane of choice on a weekend.
Old 03-08-2008, 04:43 PM
lrglnman

I have one with a Saito 125 16-6 apc running hitec hs645 all around running at 6 volts, standard on the throttle. I have 5 flights on mine and I would go with the recommended throws except the elevator it needs to be increased a bit more . plane flies wonderful and looks beautiful in the air. It is well built. I would buy another one. Busted Blade installed an electric setup on his and total weight came in about 12lbs. He said it had super unlimited vertical. With this info any 26 size gas engine should work great. Zenoahg26 or Brielli 26 .Several guys have installed the Zenoah g20 and it gives good sport performance. Aparantly this plane is capable of handeling the extra weight. As soon as it warms up I plan on installing the sulivan skywriter smoke pump and 10 oz of smoke oil. If you run 6 volts and the Saito 125 . if you place the battery under the front part of the canopy it should ballance about right. I had to add 1/2 oz of weight to the left side wing tip to lateral ballance the plane. If you use the stock motor mounts make sure you loctight all hardware. After 2 flights my motor was very loose. I liked all the hardware except the stock tank and the hardware for the ailerons. I recommend changing it to 4-40 wire and better clevices. my plane weighs about 10 lb ish with bath room scales.
Old 03-11-2008, 11:30 PM
tman1961

I Got 1 of these pups, I love it. I have a Saito 1.80 with a17x5 prop. Hi Tech 5625 digitals all round. Had to add 1/8" plywood blocks behind left side of motor mount to correct torque efect from large engine. Also used Dubro's four stroke anti vibe mount. Had to modify firewll a bit but very little. I used 6 volt nimh and placed it on the tray behind the canopy. Balanced just ahead of the rear top wing mount bolt. Flys great, unlimited verticle performance, lands like a dream with just a smidge of throttle. I replaced the stock aileron linkage with 4-40 rod and ball links. (what a difference, no slop at all now.) All in all, my favorite bird to date.

Name:	Xv65166.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	901521  
Old 03-12-2008, 01:20 PM
dixielandsbigal

I have got one on the bench right now. Has anyone cut out the pilot to kill some weight on this one. I know they have on the SG Yak.

QUICK BUILD! Got the empennage done last night. I will be waiting for servos to arrive soon. Going with the JR DS821 Digitals. and probly some kind of metal gear on the rudder. Saito 1.25 in front. Im putting the throttle servo (hobbico cs-12) up just behind the engine. Short linkage and it sounds like we'll need some weight up there. Plus, there is a ton of room!

Does anyone else dislike the tailwheel assembly on this?

Any other tips or querks on this bird?

I flew a buddies a few times this summer. I cant wait to have this in the lineup! This will be the most money I have put into one plane, but it still seems like a great value to have this kind of performance for well under $1000.
Old 03-12-2008, 03:09 PM
daveopam

A few things I ran into. The stock plastic pieces that thread onto the control horn bolts were a problem. The holes were to big. They are long enough I was able to cut off the factory hole and re-drill them.
The top center rib that stays on the cabanes. Is hard to get straight. After you bolt it up. Lay a yard stick on it and adjust it until the yard stick centers with the fin. The holes in the interplane struts are in the wrong place. I had to slot them to get them in without twisting the wings. The holes in the metal pins that go through the ailes are to big. The clevises and the rods for the top ailes will have a lot of play. That's all I can think of for now. I have mine sold. The 1.25 is to week to hover it. I would put a 1.50 or 1.80 on it if I was doing it again.

David
Old 12-08-2008, 08:47 PM
YogoBlue
My Feedback: (17)

Maidened mine here this weekend. Needed NO trim after take off. Beef up the hardware if your gonna get rough with it. I mounted an MDS 148 and it moves. The issue is the shakes on the ground I had to re ca, and locktite every damn thing, price to pay for larger engine. Structurally all I did was put some screws in the firewall sides and epoxy. Axel loosened up on first flight and tipped wheel pants which is anticipated. Luckily it tipped back. In either case a very nice flying plane. I couldnt rip into it on a second flight because a senior member crashed his Bobcat type plane with turbine.. suffice it to say the rest of the day the hunt was on..

We did find it. Its too gorey to post details.
Old 12-10-2008, 12:14 AM
rtmmh

Hello Everyone,

I put about 5 flights with an OS 120 4stroke w/o pump and it flew very nice. However, I feel that the 120 4stroke was not enough for speed. it flew around the field like a trainer. My OS 120 is new but after break-in and 5 flights, I thought it would be alittle faster. I am thinking of putting an OS 160FX 2stroke but I am not sure if that it TOO big! I also considered an OS120AX with pitts muffler but thought I would be in the same situation as I was with the OS120 4stroke. Before I spend the money on an OS 160 and a pitts muffler, can anyone tell me if that is a good choice?

Thanks,
Gino

Name:	Db86164.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	164.5 KB
ID:	1086979   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id95032.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	164.5 KB
ID:	1086980  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.