Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

modeltech magic extra 300L

Community
Search
Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

modeltech magic extra 300L

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 05:55 AM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: modeltech magic extra 300L

DuBro also makes an exh. extension...silicone...that slips onto the end of the muffler and is held on w/ zip ties. They work...but sometimes they fall off.
A short piece of just about any kind of heat resistant tube will work...keep the I.D. the same as the muff. outlet and you'll be fine.

Glad to hear you like the plane...it is a nice little flyer...sometimes I think I oughta get me another one, but I have my H9 Tribute profile so that serves the purpose for now.

I had a tough time hovering mine too...but I don't have all that much of what you'd call "3D" experience either. The tail control surfaces are somewhat smaller than a true 3D design though, and I had trouble getting enough deflection.

I just considered mine more of a sport/fun fly airplane rather than a 3D type.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:28 AM
Teachu2
My Feedback: (133)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My experience with silicone exhaust deflectors has led me to avoid them. I've tried every brand I could find, and all increased backpressure, raised operating temperatures, and robbed performance from the motor. I rotate the exhaust port on the stock muffler to minimize mess. If that won't work, an aftermarket muffler. If that still won't work, either buy more paper towels or a four-stroke!
Old 10-30-2007, 12:25 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Like everything else: it's a trade-off. Less mess & less performance (and you left out increased drag of the muffler extension).

Still, I have one on one of my planes

My favorite solution is to tip the engine and put the muffler between the main wheels with the exhaust port facing down.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20132.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	793588  
Old 10-30-2007, 06:15 PM
huligan

proptop, I actually was using one of those, and it worked pretty well, BUT as you mentioned it falls off easily... That said, it fell off somewhere over the field I fly in hehehe... Yeah, I'm having a blast with this plane. I think I may end up getting a profile 3d plane next. I find myself wanting to try the 3d maneuvers, and I realize that this plane is not going to perform them as easily as something more setup for that type of flying. I am hoping moving the CG back a little will help out a little with this one though!

Teachu2, do 4 stroke engines run cleaner? I have never run a 4stroke before... Also, where do you find aftermarket mufflers for Magnum engines? I have actually done some searching for aftermarket mufflers, but havent found anything before.

Charlie P., I wish that Modeltech had situated the engine on its side so I could deflect the muffler downward easier! That would make flying MUCH less messy...
Old 10-30-2007, 08:29 PM
jeffk464

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

People say they run cleaner but I cant figure out why they are burning the same fuel. All of the oil in our fuel escapes combustion and ends up all over our planes.
Old 10-30-2007, 09:47 PM
Teachu2
My Feedback: (133)

ORIGINAL: huligan

Teachu2, do 4 stroke engines run cleaner? I have never run a 4stroke before... Also, where do you find aftermarket mufflers for Magnum engines? I have actually done some searching for aftermarket mufflers, but havent found anything before.
Four strokes are certainly easier to clean up after - exhaust residue wipes right off with a paper towel. As far as aftermarket mufflers for a Magnum, I believe http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LL6112&P=1 will fit, or http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LL6358&P=1

If all else fails, use http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXD621&P=SM to move the muffler away from the fuse an inch or two.
Old 10-31-2007, 12:29 AM
proptop

The Tower .46 / GMS .47 muffler works well on the Magnum .52 (as well as the O.S. .46's, the Thunder Tiger .46 Pro, and a few others that have the same exh. flange and bolt spacing )
Best of all, it's only 15 bucks and it gives a performance increase over the stock muffler...and it's a little lighter too [8D]

My TT .46 went from 12,800 (+ or - a few ) with the stock muffler to almost 14,000 with the Tower muffler, on 15% Powermaster and the APC 12X4.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:41 AM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm a big fan of the TT Pro-46. I have one with a Perry Carb (the original lost the needle to one too many dirt knaps) and it turns an 11X5 APC, 10% N, at 13,200 rpm with 200 rpm back off to the rich side and will idle for minutes at 2,500 rpm.

People say they [4-strokes] run cleaner but I cant figure out why they are burning the same fuel. All of the oil in our fuel escapes combustion and ends up all over our planes.
They only burn every other spin of the prop shaft. Less fuel used = less crud exhausted. I think it's a little more efficient burn, too.
Old 10-31-2007, 12:42 PM
huligan

Teachu2, wow thanks for the links! I really think the slimline sport scale muffler (2nd link) will make a huge difference in the fuel mess that I am getting on the wing/fuse. I may have to order that one and give it a try...

Are 4 stroke engines good for 3d planes? I am thinking of getting a 3d profile model as my next plane, and I would like to maybe try getting a 4stroke engine since I haven't ever had one.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:38 PM
proptop

The guys who do a lot of 3D style flying swear that 4 strokes are the way to go...
Check out the 3D forum and you'll get all sorts of opinions
Old 11-01-2007, 09:20 PM
huligan

ORIGINAL: proptop
Check out the 3D forum and you'll get all sorts of opinions
But... But... I like my thread here in sport flying!

Oh, ok. I'll go look over there. Probably won't post though...!!!
Old 11-02-2007, 07:04 AM
proptop

The advantages of a 4 stroke are the torque to spin a bigger prop and quicker throttle response (less "spool up" time as they say )

I flew a Funtana S40 with a Saito 1.00 on it and it was unreal...
It would get off the ground in a light breeze before I got the throttle past 1/4 and would accelerate vertically so fast that it could get into flutter going straight up.[X(]

Some of those specially designed profile jobs are spectacular!
Old 11-02-2007, 10:47 AM
huligan

Very cool! How come Saito engines seem to me alot more expensive than say... OS or Magnum? Are they just a lot better built engines? I may go ahead and save up to get a Saito 4stroke on my next plane which will more than likely be a profile...
Old 11-02-2007, 07:48 PM
proptop

Saito's are great engines...but so are (most ) O.S.'s
Magnums are less expensive clones of O.S. which are o.k. if you're on a budget, but they're also less powerful than O.S.

The Saito would generally be lighter for a given displacment, and I have noticed that they are also slightly more powerful, all else being the same...

Hang out in the "Glow Engines" forum for a while and you'll find more answers to any question you could possably think up...and then some...
Old 11-08-2007, 04:29 AM
huligan

Ok.. So this past weekend I had a small mishap with the plane flying it at dusk. I lost my sense of depth perception and hit a tree on a hill that I thought was farther off than it apparently really was... hahahaha! Thankfully the plane was moving very slowly and there wasn't a huge amount of damage. Should be back flying again this weekened!

So I ordered this muffler and received it today ([link]http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LL6358&P=1[/link]). I am wondering about the lack of a place to connect the fuel tubing as there is on the stock muffler. Do I need to drill the muffler and put my own connector on there or is there another way?

Thanks in advance for any help!
Old 11-08-2007, 04:53 AM
sowega flyer

Don't feel too bad about hitting the tree. I bought a CMP Yak 54 (the fiberglass one) and one the second flight, I was coming in on final thinking I had cleared the trees....the plane is still in the tree. We call it the Yak that don't come back!

I don't know about that muffler unless you plan on cutting the cheeks off the side of the plane. (at least on the exhaust side)
Old 11-08-2007, 10:20 AM
huligan

Haha @ Yak that don't come back! Thats funny... Dang trees...

As far as the muffler goes, I also purchased an extender bar so I can keep the cheek on the plane. I saw that they sell the pressure fittings at hoby people or tower... so maybe I just need to get a tap/die for one...
Old 11-08-2007, 07:43 PM
proptop

Don't want to sound like a downer, but...

That's not really a muffler...it's just an open stack, and it's gonna be loud! And I think you're gonna have a problem with tank pressure (as in not enough ) because you're not going to have much backpressure. Idle quality might suffer too...(I hope I'm wrong )
How come ya didn't get the Tower .46 muffler? It's much better and less than half the price...
Old 11-09-2007, 01:54 PM
huligan

Hey there proptop, yeah I am worried about the backpressure... I knew it wasn't really a muffler, but didn't realize it didn't have a backpressure nipple on it when I purchased it (rookie move I realize). I think that I am going to tap the new "muffler" to fix the back pressure issue.

Is this the muffler you are talking about? [link]http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXJB16&P=ML[/link]

If not could you please link to it?

Worst case scenario, I will stick with the old stock muffler and the gobs of fuel going directly onto the wing... hrm.
Old 11-10-2007, 05:52 AM
proptop

Yep! That's the one...

The oil on the wing will be a small price to pay for the performance increase you'll get...

I rotated the outlet on mine...so if you would be looking at it from the front, the outlet would be pointing at about the 11 o'clock position. That shoots it up and out ...

Those Slimline twin stacks are good for a closed in cowling type set-up...but usually, you wind up pinching the outlets quite a bit just to get some backpressure. I suppose you could do that and see how it runs?
(to do it, you get some vice grips or large pliers and squeeze the ends of the pipes to restrict the flow...it's a "guesstamate" sorta thing )