Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

Best simulator

Community
Search
Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

Best simulator

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 04:34 AM
martenson

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Best simulator

I don't know if this is the right place to ask, but I'm looking for the best simulator.
I think I'm a real good pilot with many hours of flying, started in 1974.
But I want something to play with during the cold and dark winter.
To work on my 3D skills.

I was thinking of Great Planes simulator but I'm not a computer wiss so I don't know.

Thanks
Old 11-30-2007, 10:49 AM
Sean C
My Feedback: (25)

Default RE: Best simulator

I've only used RealFlight G3.5 and now G4.

I regret selling my G3.5. The new version is a downgrade in my opinion. Physics are less accurate and all models from previous versions will need to have all their parameters reworked to function properly in G4.

I'm now considering selling my G4 to give Reflex XTR a try. [&o]
Old 11-30-2007, 01:08 PM
opjose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Bernowt

I've only used RealFlight G3.5 and now G4.

I regret selling my G3.5. The new version is a downgrade in my opinion. Physics are less accurate and all models from previous versions will need to have all their parameters reworked to function properly in G4.
That's not true.

The physics are the same.

The only observed changes are with increased control surface authority at extreme deflection, but this only affects a few 3D planes.

KE has publically stated that their physics engine code is unchanged in G4.

No parameters have to be "reworked" for G3.5 models to function properly in G4.

With the first release of G4 there WAS an issue about the control switch mapping that was resolved with an update.

If you IMPORT the G3 models after updating G4 using the launcher, the mapping problem goes away.

Old 11-30-2007, 01:14 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

martenson:

I have only used RealFlight. I am thoroughly happy with it.

However, since you are in Europe, I suggest you take a look at the Reflex IVOL system. The Reflex looks really outstanding from what I have seen in previews and I know there is a huge following in Europe with several websites dedicated to designer models being created. The new IVOL controller also looks quite amazing. However, it is rather expensive but if you can afford it..........
Old 11-30-2007, 03:57 PM
martenson

Thanks for your help guy's.
I just ordered a RF G4.

But what's the deal with the european style and USA style, I and 99.9% of the guy's I know use mode 2.
So the mode 1 and mode 2 is not really that easy, the mode 1 is more german, finish type I think, I might be wrong.

Thanks
Old 11-30-2007, 04:17 PM
Sean C

That's not true.
Yes, it is. http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18696

Changing your story?

The only observed changes are with increased control surface authority at extreme deflection, but this only affects a few 3D planes.
Not for me. I even had a JET doing loops about itself at 1/4 throttle.

The U.S. Gov't publicly stated there were WMD in Iraq.

So why does the same model behave entirely different between the two versions? You may want to refer back to the thread YOU started.

With the first release of G4 there WAS an issue about the control switch mapping that was resolved with an update.
If you IMPORT the G3 models after updating G4 using the launcher, the mapping problem goes away.
I'm aware of that and I didn't mention any issues.

[/quote]
Old 11-30-2007, 04:45 PM
opjose

That's not true.

Changing your story?

No. You should read on. Maybe you missed the rest of the coversation...

Not for me. I even had a JET doing loops about itself at 1/4 throttle.
Which plane?

The U.S. Gov't publicly stated there were WMD in Iraq.
You may believe the gov if you wish, I'll give far more credence to KE thank you.

So why does the same model behave entirely different between the two versions?
It doesn't.

As I stated the effectiveness at extreme deflections is what is more pronounced.

It is not noticible on most models. with surface deflections of less than 30-35 degrees.

Above that is where a difference may be noted, which while trivial to adjust, does represent a slight change.

I'm aware of that and I didn't mention any issues.
You mentioned that the existing models had to be re-adjusted for G4. That's "the issue".

They do not.

Old 11-30-2007, 05:10 PM
Sean C

Opjose,
I read the KE forums daily. *I* have seen the differences you yourself have acknowledged and are now dismissing.
The planes I'm speaking of are user-designed models. YES, they fly/behave differently between the G3.5 and G4. End of story!

I'm not going to drag this on into a knowledge/experience war. Besides, The thread-starter has already made his choice.
Old 11-30-2007, 05:18 PM
opjose

Opjose,
I read the KE forums daily. *I* have seen the differences you yourself have acknowledged and are now dismissing.
I've never "dismissed" anything.

The planes I'm speaking of are user-designed models. YES, they fly/behave differently between the G3.5 and G4. End of story!
They do NOT except for what I've already noted.

To paraphrase you... "End of Story".

I would be complaining all the more loudly if they did.

It would be nice to know which plane you are talking about vis-a-vis the jet you looped so I could have a look.

Old 12-02-2007, 10:13 AM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Opjose,
What about the models that are in the software already? I'm looking for a sim for #2 grandson (and for me, okay... , but mainly for him) and am getting so much conflicting information I'm about to short out. The problem is, my new 'puter uses Vista for an OS. On the one hand, I've got folks telling me its no big deal; then, in the specific forums on that brand of sim (AFPD, for example) I read a post about this or that not working, you need a patch, download this BEFORE installing the patch, you might have to un-install and re-install...

I don't want to fool with any of that. I am not a computer guy and have no desire to be.

I'm told that this KE Forum provides real-time assistance for RealFlight products. If so, do they tolerate computer-stupid types like me? I've been flying R/C for 21 years; but can barely get around inside a computer.

Your opinion would be appreciated.

Old 12-02-2007, 03:16 PM
opjose

ORIGINAL: Steve Campbell

What about the models that are in the software already?
What do you want to know about them?

They fly well, as per the planes they are modeling.

I'm looking for a sim for #2 grandson (and for me, okay... , but mainly for him) and am getting so much conflicting information I'm about to short out. The problem is, my new 'puter uses Vista for an OS. On the one hand, I've got folks telling me its no big deal; then, in the specific forums on that brand of sim (AFPD, for example) I read a post about this or that not working, you need a patch, download this BEFORE installing the patch, you might have to un-install and re-install...
You should always make sure that any software you purchase meets the "optimum" recommended specifications.

The Minimum, or sometimes the suggested, are often barely enough to get things running.

In addition the OEM computer manufacturers ( cough *Dell*etc* cough ) often hide the capabilities of the hardware from the consumer.

This permits them to sell you one or two year old video adapter technology at a reduced price but indirectly imply that it is the latest and the greatest.

With all 3D programs the speed of the processor and hard disk, coupled with the processing power of the video card are the greatest factors for reliable and satisfactory performance.

Scrimp on a video adapter ( as the OEM's do ) and you'll be one of those complaining about problems with a 3D sim.

So if you haven't already purchased a computer, select carefully.

If you have, you may also need to upgrade the video controller...

Many computers have DX9 installed, but the adapters are NOT DX9 compliant.

Throw a recent sim like G3/G4 onto the non-compliant machine and you'll have problems.

I don't want to fool with any of that. I am not a computer guy and have no desire to be.

That being the case then you should purchase a HIGH END ( more money! ) computer system if you haven't already done so. One ideally designed for gaming and 3D work.

People who delve into the "computer stuff" can take care of their own machine's shortcomings and save a bundle by upgrading those components that are lacking.

To avoid this you MUST be sure that your computer meets and exceeds the software specs.

I'm told that this KE Forum provides real-time assistance for RealFlight products. If so, do they tolerate computer-stupid types like me? I've been flying R/C for 21 years; but can barely get around inside a computer.

Your opinion would be appreciated.
The forums are for and by the users.

Typically a ton of newbies join. Many with the very problems that I've listed above.

When some are told that their machines may be substandard, they may start moaning and complaining that something is wrong with the software, etc.

There's a low threshold for THAT kind of stupidity... ( the problem is pre-existing and they don't want to deal with the expense or do anything about it, they merely expect someone to "fix it"... sigh. )

However for tolerance for REAL problems is high.

If you already own a computer your best bet is to post a detailed list of your computer's specification BEFORE you purchase any software.

That can be used to determine what may run well on your computer, and may help you narrow down your choices.

Old 12-03-2007, 04:24 PM
martenson

Thanks for your help guy's.
Guess what arrived to day, a BIG package from Tower Hobbies.
I ordered on Friday and it arrives on Monday, might seem okey for you guy's but I live on the other side of the atlantic.
So from USA to Sweden over the weekend.

I'm impressed.

Take care.
Old 12-03-2007, 06:08 PM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

If my company ran as efficiently as Tower Hobbies does, I probably wouldn't be able to keep up well enough to save my job!