Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

pulse 40 expectations

Community
Search
Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

pulse 40 expectations

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 10:11 PM
chrisp32

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pulse 40 expectations

so i got a pulse 40 for christmas and i am building a set of skis for it now so i can fly it from the snow and wont have to wait for spring. has anybuddy flown this plane what should i expect this is only my second plane but the first was a typhoon 2 3d. does the plane have any bad tendancies? hows the takeoff and landing? is it as stable as they say it is? any thing i i should expect from this plane? either way im excited to fly it.

Chris
Old 01-08-2008, 09:46 AM
Doc Austin

Default RE: pulse 40 expectations

ORIGINAL: chrisp32

....... what should i expect this is only my second plane but the first was a typhoon 2 3d.
If you can fly a Typhoon the Pulse will be easy.

http://www.largoflyingclub.com/video/pulse.wmv

http://www.largoflyingclub.com/video/austinpls.wmv

I've already written so much about the Pulse that it's much easier for both of us if I just link you to my review.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ltra+Stick+25E

But, the short version is that the plane flys terrific and you probably won't have a single problem as long as you set it up like the instructions call for. You can always tweak it later, but for the first few flights use hangar 9's setup.

..... does the plane have any bad tendencies?
No, but I would certainly get an experienced pilot to trim it out for you and maybe stay with you for a few flights

.............hows the takeoff and landing?
I've gotten lazy with my takeoffs and I just hammer it and blast off. The Pulse tends to float a lot, so you have to really slow it down to hit the field. The first few approaches you make it will sail right past you. It's not a problem. It's just different and you learn to adapt.

is it as stable as they say it is?
Absolutely.

Old 01-08-2008, 02:09 PM
weeber24

Just like Doc Austin said, this is a terrific second plane. It was my 2nd plane after my trainer (Alpha-40). Very easy to fly and great fun, you can do a lot of stuff with it, but it's also very forgiving. The only problem I've had (and it's all been my fault) was I've torn the gear out several times, due to my less the stellar landings. The good news is, while the plane doesn't look near as pretty as it used to, it still flies great.
Old 01-13-2008, 10:04 PM
Yaniel

i've been flying my pulse since christmas and i LOVE it. it's extremely stable but will still perform nice aerobatics. landings are almost hands off and eyes closed, just line it up with the run way and it glides in. i still havent managed to stall it either. i cant recommend this plane enough!
Old 01-18-2008, 11:47 AM
dapam03

How does this airplane compare to a sig 4*. I've been looking at either buying the pulse arf, or building a 4*. Can't make up my mind yet. This is a second airpane for me too. How is the evolution engine in the pnp? Or would it be better to get the arf and put in an OS 46AX?

Dave
Old 01-18-2008, 12:10 PM
Yaniel

i have the evo .46nt that comes in the pnp model, with an apc 11x6 prop. i'm quite happy with the performance of the motor, its got plenty of vertical but its by no means unlimited, its also fast enough to be fun to fly. and can cut through the wind with no problem! i'm sure the 46ax will have a bit more performance though, i actually want a 55ax for mine.
Old 01-18-2008, 03:27 PM
weeber24

dapam03,

I had a more experienced hand maiden my Pulse. He had never flown one before, but commented that it flew just like a 4*. I've never flown the 4* personally, but I find the Pulse to be extremely forgiving, and IMO looks better than the 4*.
Old 01-18-2008, 08:22 PM
chrisp32

unfortuanatly i have yet to fly my pulse as there was a slight accedent in my garage and it involved something falling on the tail stab and i am awaiting a replacement. however i have had it running and is is awesome sounding, it fired rite up and ran like a top only required minor tuning. ohh also need some skis to fly it now, i have a slight problem for the wheels, called snow lol

chris
Old 01-21-2008, 03:26 AM
Krener

Haven't you heard of 'snow chains'??
Old 01-21-2008, 08:25 AM
Tpilot48

Awhile ago I put a O.S. 55AX on a skyraider mach 2 and it riped off the right side of the wing.
So, if you put a 55AX on a pulse then you might want to be a little careful. [&o]
Old 01-21-2008, 11:04 PM
amdhotprocessor
My Feedback: (6)

With the factory evo46 my pnp pulse ran 88mph clocked off a bushnell radar gun, at 110-115 in dives flutter becomes a detrimental factor with max throws. LOL

back to the sane world. With a 12-4 the pulse will slow a bit better and with the evo it WILL hover and actually fairly easily, BUT it has NO pullout, so the hovers/harriers must be done high up. BUT WAIT.... the catch, hovers are possible and actualy pretty easy but only on MAXIMUM surface movements, by this i mean EPA's and horns must be maxxed out, this is when flutter becomes a rrrreeeeaaaaallllll real issue at anything over 60-65mph.
But the pulse is not a 3d plane by anymeans, although capable, it takes presuading, but if you like a plane that can do great aerobatics, goes fast, is quiet alomost as an electric( evo46 only), is sSSSSUUUPER stable at stall speeds, and looks so good, the pulse ids the ticket.

Out of 15 planes, THERE IS NOTHING I like to fly more than my pulse.... NOTHING,,, not my tango,nor any of my 540/300s , not my warbirds, NOPE. my pulse is my baby, and she does great on skis, but im building a set currently that looks better than the dubro skis
Old 01-21-2008, 11:14 PM
Yaniel

ORIGINAL: amdhotprocessor

With the factory evo46 my pnp pulse ran 88mph clocked off a bushnell radar gun, at 110-115 in dives flutter becomes a detrimental factor with max throws. LOL

what size prop is that with?
Old 01-21-2008, 11:19 PM
amdhotprocessor

at that speed i was running a 10x8 or a 11x7, cant remember. i dont know the name of the prop manufacturer, it is black like the master airscrews, but harder and shaped like apc.
Old 01-21-2008, 11:21 PM
Yaniel

hmm maybe i'll try a 10x8, the 10x7 is still revving higher than i'd like (13,100) and the 11x7 is only at 11,000 rpm. hmm 10x8 might be the answer.
Old 01-21-2008, 11:24 PM
amdhotprocessor

sorry, i forgot a very important tip for the speed.
We clocked around 73-78 with the wheel pants, the 88 was the fastest run, but speed were always right in the 85-88 range, temps outside were in mid to upper 30's. no to little wind. early morning. i run omega 15% with REAL CASTOR oil in it, none of that syncraptic fuel.
Old 01-21-2008, 11:30 PM
Yaniel

ORIGINAL: amdhotprocessor

sorry, i forgot a very important tip for the speed.
We clocked around 73-78 with the wheel pants, the 88 was the fastest run, but speed were always right in the 85-88 range, temps outside were in mid to upper 30's. no to little wind. early morning. i run omega 15% with REAL CASTOR oil in it, none of that syncraptic fuel.

you're saying its SLOWER with the wheel pants? after this next gallon i'll probably step up to 15% or 20% nitro to see if theres any change, i'm currently running 10%. upper 30's.. hmm i wish, it was cold here today and it was high 60's lol.
Old 01-22-2008, 12:10 AM
amdhotprocessor

yep, the wheels alone pose less drag on the plane than with the pants. there was a clockable increase in speed after removing them but i couldnt tell really by the feel. the increase was only 6-8 mph i think so I put mt wheel pants back on, they just look so good. everyone tells me at he field to take em off, I will get better takeoffs, lol. so what I do is get out on the field and taxi real slow, and then get all the way at the end of the runway and takeoff reallll slooowww. after 2 or 3 of them they get really wound up and try to give me an aero space lecture.
The grass and the drag.... blah blah. So after they get done i go and point at the rope fence about 10 feet away from it at the end of the runway then pullout and over a 3 ft fence, lol they just gasp and scurry around murrmuring all mad about me having PLENTY of takeoff power. lol.. i love those old timers. and there GIANT wheels in the grass. All i figured out was for some reason in the summer tall grass, the wheel pants have oddly enough shown to reduce nose overs . anyone , explain that. hehehe

OMG I LOVE MY PULSE [sm=kiss.gif]
Old 01-23-2008, 10:46 PM
Bretd123

Thats wierd i am in the same exact position youre in, got a pulse for christmas, fling a typhoon 3d, except i have flown the pulse. I was wondering do have an avistar?
Old 01-24-2008, 08:51 PM
chrisp32

no i dont have an avistar i have never even flown a trainer, started with the typhoon, i finally found some material for the skis i am making for my pulse so hopefully i will be able to maiden my pulse im excited but i better get out and spend some time on the sticks of the typhoon again to get some rust of of me cause with the weather it is a little hard to get time to fly in minus 20 degree weather lol.
Old 01-24-2008, 08:54 PM
chrisp32

the wheel pants reducing the nose overs hmm sounds like the wheel pants are acting as brush guards and they push the grass over a little and make it easier for the wheel to then roll over it but that is interesting i probably would not have thought about that, good to know cause i only fly of grass as i am not a memeber of a club.
Old 02-24-2008, 11:30 AM
robbinsp
My Feedback: (10)

hi
i just maidened my pulse
i built it and put a TT46Pro ABN engine on it. Mu flying buddy reccommended putting a 10x6 prop on it to make sure i had enough pullout and clearance on rough terrain we were flying. well, takeoff was great, then i had to turn, turn, turn, oh throttle down LOL. She was smokin fast, and im a n00b and been flying kadet 40 since august. got her to land, should have came back around for another attempt as it came in slippery fast like everyone sais, but i guesss we gotta try it to get the feel for it. Second take off and landing was piece o cake. Put on my 12.25x3.75 apc... takeoff was fine, had to thet engine rev that low pitch prop up a bit(can see why low pitch = less accel Goes vertical sooo easily. can do w/e you want to in the air. on landing:just fly her slowly, near stalling and no problem on short runway... or snow with driftage for that matter.

My n00b advice:
Put on the right propeller for your own style of flying!
Treat her like you did your first plane at first...Carefully-at least at first! She will handle quite differently, but will obey your commands as well.
ooh got to go as my battery charge is complete!

Later Foos!
pat
Old 02-24-2008, 04:23 PM
chrisp32

si i finally got to maiden the pulse and wow did it ever fly good well thats what i thought. i was amazed at how long it takes to slow down to a good landing speed, took several attempts to land for te first flight. unfortunatly on the second flight the engine died just as i aborted the final approach and caused me to hit a tree, that damage was not too bad and i know have it fixed and am ready to fly again next weekend. but once again i am very happy with the plane.

Chris