Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

40 to 60 size models in the near future

Community
Search
Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

40 to 60 size models in the near future

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 08:44 PM
Broken Wings
My Feedback: (20)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 40 to 60 size models in the near future

With a recession on the horizon it looks like I’ll be returning to smaller 40-60 size models.
I think I had more fun with these anyway....

Fuel is going through the roof; High end servos for larger models are $100.

The use of standard servos, actually using the engine size that the designer intended for the model is now becoming more appealing.

Anybody else feeling the squeeze?

Old 01-15-2008, 01:10 AM
Krener

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 40 to 60 size models in the near future

We haven't really felt it here yet.
Some things have started to alter, the big banks bumping up interest rates cause THEY made a dodgy investment (someone please explain how their incompetence affects my pay cheque????)

But looking at it in perspective, why the hell should anyone stop doing something they like??
Perfect example, our hobby.

Now people can argue as much as they want, they don't REALLY need that big gasser up front, so like you said, be a tad frugal and get something smaller.
Servo prices will always follow the general pricing trend, same as much anything else really.
I run a plumbing company, and as soon as China ordered a BUCKET load of copper, the biggest copper group in the country decided that if they are charging China (who has a ridiculous amount of surplus money btw) X amount to buy, lets charge EVERYBODY the same price.
We had copper and PVC price rises between 12 and 32% in 3 MONTHS!!!!!!!

If you can afford it, stick with it. Maybe fly 10 flights in a day, not 12 etc.
Rather than build another plane to sit next to the other 14789345 you have already in your hanger, retire one and ransack the parts (I cant understand how someone can have 20+ planes sitting there doing nothing anyways[X(])
Or sell a couple and get a new one or two.

There are a million ways to counter the looming recession you guys are waiting for, and unfortunately when it hits you it will mess alot of others up also.
One things for sure, unless the bank forcloses on my mortgage, I'll keep flying.
Hey, you need SOMETHING to get ya mind off the impending doom, dont cha????
Old 01-15-2008, 02:26 AM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm feeling the pinch. I've been unemployed since mid October and my savings account is just about dry. I've been looking for jobs like crazy. In just the last 3 weeks, I've sent out 176 resumes to people in my industry. Not a single hit. I've also applied via internet or email to over 200 jobs in my industry. I've revamped my resume and sent it in 3 different formats. Called people on the phone and hounded them for a job. I started looking for a job about a week after my last company did a massive layoff. I've probably sent out over 400 resumes since October. I've even started applying for jobs out of state. I've sent about 50 resumes to Arizona, Kansas, Missouri, California.

Here I am almost 3 months later and I got nothing. [] I'm about to take a job at Home Depot or Lowes just to pay the bills. Might even start delivering pizzas just for cash flow. I was holding out for a job in my industry, but it's not looking good. We've been living off savings and I cashed in a few mutual funds, but my finances are starting to dry up.

I haven't spent any money on this hobby in almost 6 months. Christmas SUCKED at my house. Haven't been able to pay my AMA insurance or my club dues for the 2008 year yet.

I may be selling some of my hobby stuff just to make ends meet. To answer your question:
I'd be happy if I could afford a 40 size plane right now.
Old 01-16-2008, 10:05 AM
Krener

Rcpilet, I've been where you are now, and worse[&o]

Was unemployed for a 3 year stint in the 90's while Australia was going through the 'Recession we had to have'
Yeah, I worked a brick yard, waited tables and the like, didn't suck any less.
Man does it bum you out.
I learnt 2 very important things over that time.
1)ALWAYS vote for the other guy
2)Never ****can the little people (cleaners, kitchen hands etc), cause some day you might be one.

I love how the 'important' people play with the money, but the ordinary people bare the cost.

Hope things get better for ya soon.
Old 01-16-2008, 10:32 AM
carlosponti
My Feedback: (1)

i will never go to a plane bigger than 120 because i cant jusify the cost plus i would have transport problems etc. though i would love to fly gas i cant see spending 1500 or so on a plane when i have a new baby and wife. of course i am just cheap too so if i can do things in the cheapest manor i will.
Old 01-16-2008, 11:49 AM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I got a Giles 202( 1.20 size) from Nitro Hobbies and I will have less in it ready to fly than my Eflight Cap 232 with all the goodies needed for the cap to fly. I Had to buy lipo pacs, electric motor, speed control and charger. Also needed a battery balancer. Now with the Giles all I need to do is convert a weed-whip or a blower engine of about 25-30 cc. Gas is inexpensive for fuel too. All in all....its nice to have both kinds....Gas & Electric. Best Regards Capt,n
Old 01-16-2008, 04:34 PM
carlosponti

did you see the engine in the conversions section the guy put on a twist 40? it was a 21cc featherlite with ch ignition. i was impressed.
Old 01-16-2008, 08:07 PM
aerowoof

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rcpilet ,
if your over 40 and had a high paying job I am sad to say you probaly are s.o.l.tmployers are highing the younger guys just out of college at less cost.you will find that you are either over educated or over qualified as they say.I had the same problem and know deive a truck as a delivery driver.the one good thibg is that the overtime factor gets me back almost to my old salary but with out benefits.As I was told keep throwing mud on the wall and see what sticks,you may need to consider a new ocupation.Good luck.
Old 01-20-2008, 08:34 PM
kamakazi

I'm getting rid of all my larger planes also. Due to advancing age I dont like lugging the bigguns around and getting all the support equipment to the field also. I prefer the .40 size now and found out I really enjoy them as much or more than I did the giants and 60+ sizes.
Old 01-20-2008, 10:16 PM
BobWoodhouse

Rcpilet,

We had issues like that in about 2001 and so in the hi-tech field. Now that field is OKish, and maybe the home-construction field is at risk, I guess. If you are a software engineer, there is a fair chance that I could find you work, best if you are at least average. In the 2001 bust, I had to learn how to hustle to get work. I forced myself to spend at least 5 hours per day working on that. Sometimes I thought there was no other activity for the day ("I checked the job boards, nothing new"), but I made myself try to figure out other angles or make phone calls, etc.all that time. Then the economy for us got better, but I kept hustling. Then I could find more jobs than I could do. So I started getting work to give to other people. So now we (found a business partner) have been doing projects and hiring folks for a few years. If I knew your field, it would be better to know how much I sould keep blabbing on.

When I did high-power rockets, which halted due to the simultaneous recession and terrorist fears, lots offolks had rockets where a successful flight would cost them as much fuel (say $200 isn't uncommon at the time for K impulse) as if I had completely lost my rocket on it's H or I impulse, but I flew at the same altitudes, just with 38mm tubes at 3 feet long instead of 100mm tubes at 7 feet long.

My first plane, which I just helped fly a week ago, is an LT-25 on a os25fx. I see the "big plane" phenomenon like I saw the large rockets. But many of the people at the field where I first flew had planes of the 40 size, like ultra sticks.

Best,
Bob