Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

Seagull Super Star 120 stab strut system

Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

Seagull Super Star 120 stab strut system

Old 01-17-2008, 06:55 PM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Seagull Super Star 120 stab strut system

I am about 80% finished with my Seagull Super Star 120. I don't really want to put the stab strut system on this plane. My intents for this plane are to fly it as a sport plane, perhaps some non-violent maneuvers, no 3D stuff at all, just a nice sport plane.

I have an OS 1.60 FX that I had to remove the center muffler partition (for lack of a better name) so it would fit (the muffler on this installation). I think that will be enough power.. I am also using dual elevator servos with a Y reverser cable and pull-pull rudder with the servo in the center servo compartment. Aileron servos are the Spektrum servos that came with the radio (JR 821's I believe).

So, my question is if anyone has any comments about my decision about not using the stab strut system on the vert/horiz stabs.

Thanks.

CGr.
Old 01-18-2008, 01:06 AM
alan0899

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Seagull Super Star 120 stab strut system

G'day Dick,
If I were you I would get rid of that "Y" lead, use the duel elevator mix, & you will have much better trim adjustment, for your elevators, & one less thing to fail, ie, the "Y" lead.
Have a look here, http://www.rcaerobats.net/Spektrum/dx_7_main_page.htm
it shows all the tricks.
Old 01-18-2008, 01:37 PM
opjose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it that you don't want the hassle of putting it in, or that you don't like the looks?

Old 01-18-2008, 02:09 PM
jrf
My Feedback: (551)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

It is a 1.20 size plane and you are using a 1.60. That's fine, but I would be looking to reinforce things, not deinforce things.

The stab is pretty strong (That's why there are no braces under the stab.), but the fin is weak and the rudder is huge. Even if you don't plan on wringing it out, the potential for in-flight failure is there.

If you don't like the looks, check this out. http://www.sullivanproducts.com/ContSysAccMainFrame.htm
Look for Flying Wires or Tail Brace wires, No. S546.

Jim