Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

OS 46ax OR Evo 46nt?

Community
Search
Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

OS 46ax OR Evo 46nt?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 09:18 AM
kgoldie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OS 46ax OR Evo 46nt?

I am trying to choose between the OS 46ax and the Evo 46nt for my new Pulse XT ARF. I would appreciate your help in choosing the best engine.

Regards,

Kyle Goldie
Old 01-25-2008, 10:19 AM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: OS 46ax OR Evo 46nt?

They're pretty close in performance...the Evo is a little heavier, but with the Pulse I don't think that's an issue.

I have a couple of each and like them...IMO I'd choose whichever one you can get the better deal on.
Old 01-25-2008, 12:00 PM
opjose

I'm assuming you mean the Evolution .46NT not an EVO engine instead.

If that's the case, the Evolution .46NT features those #$)%*^ awful limiters.

These cause many headaches and tuning problems.

Once removed and with a bit of TLC the engine runs fine.

However getting there may take some effort.

I've had several .46NT's that have worked pretty well w/o a lot of fiddling.

The O.S. AX however will start up right out of the box, and after you've run a tank of fuel through it, and leaned it a few clicks, it will be ready to go.

So if you are used to tuning engines w/o problems, then the Evolution might be OK, though if I were looking for a cheaper engine I'd get the Tower Hobbies .46... ( It's great as long as you DO NOT touch the needles as it comes out of the box, until it has had 2-3 tanks run through it... )

The AX on the other hand is great if you are say on your first through third plane or you want a more problem free engine.

Old 01-25-2008, 09:07 PM
ChuckW

If the extra money isn't a problem, go for the OS. Evolutions can run very, very good but I've seen a lot more people have trouble with them than OS.
Old 01-25-2008, 09:37 PM
acarter

OS OS OS, go with the os. You won't regret it. If you get a good evolution then performance wise you'll be about the same. But if you read around you have about a 50% chance of getting a good evolution. I own both motors, the os has never been off the plane and has never skipped a beat. While the evolution has about 30 dead sticks on it and has been to the factory once. Now that I have worked it out the evo runs great, but why would you take the chance. Get the OS

Just my opinion,
Austin
Old 01-25-2008, 11:37 PM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

I try not to dismiss a company's products out-of-hand, but by all accounts it seems that Evolution 2-stroke glow engines don't run as well as other engines selling for the same or lower price. I can't think of any particular size of 2-stroke where there aren't at least two or three better options available for the same or less money.

One of these days perhaps someone will give me an Evolution 2-stroke for free, or at least close to it. Other than that, I can't really think of any reason why I'd want to try one.
Old 01-26-2008, 12:48 AM
ChuckW

I've taken a brand new OS .55-AX, bolted it on the plane Friday night, started it for the first time at the field on Saturday morning, adjusted it slightly rich, taxied the plane out and flown without a hiccup, let alone a dead stick. I leaned the low end slightly after the first flight then made 2 more flights throughout the morning. Idle, transitions and top end were excellent. Now, that isn't proper break in procedure of course and it would be best to run a tank or two on the bench first. Still, it shows how well made and reliable the AX line is.
Old 01-26-2008, 02:06 PM
Sherman

You might want to consider the Thunder Tiger 46 Pro. It is a fine engine, and has about the same power (as near as I can determine) as the OS, is easy to start, has a good idle, and is reliable. It is usually some less expensive than the OS.
Old 01-26-2008, 06:52 PM
bigugly

IMHO I think the OS is worth a few more dollars. The evolution is a fine engine, but I would chose the OS first
The only deadsticks I have had with my OS engines were due to running out of fuel.
Old 01-26-2008, 07:00 PM
TideFlyer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I`m currently flying an Evo 46 on my Pulse. I`ve also flown OS 46`s on other airplanes. Although I`ve had no deadsticks ( knock on wood ) with the Evo, and it runs OK, I just don`t think, day in, day out, there are any finer 2-strokes than OS. They cost more, but I prersonally think you get what you pay for, at least in this case. JMHO.
Old 01-27-2008, 08:26 PM
iflyg450

Go for the Tunder Tiger .46PRO. Hands down the best 40 size engine I have worked with!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have one on a viper 500 with a confirmed speed of 143mph My other is in a Ohio models fusion 52X 3D, it hovers like a champ. Lastley I have one on laser arrow delta with a jett tuned muffler. I have NEVER HAD A DEAD STICK.! Just for the heck of it I tore down my OS .46AX and TT .46pro about the same run times and use. The TT looked brand new the OS look very beat down!
Old 01-28-2008, 01:27 AM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

The Thunder Tiger Pro .46 does have a fantastic reputation for longevity as long as you don't fly it consistently above 15,000 rpms. They generally outlast O.S. .46 FX/AX engines by a wide margin according to the long-time engine enthusiasts in the glow engines forum.
Old 02-21-2008, 07:19 PM
Ed_Moorman
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have 4 .46AXs, 2 TT .46Pros and I had 2 Evo .46s. Get the OS. It is the easiest to run and set and the most reliable engine around.

My flying buddy and I have done 24 twins. We pulled our other .46s and installed .46AXs because they don't quit in the air. I've also got a pair of .25FXs in a twin and a pair of .46LAs in another twin. For twin reliability, you can't beat OS.

If you really want to put some horsepower in your plane, get the .55AX. Sweetest engine around and tons of power.
Old 02-21-2008, 08:00 PM
kdc

In 5 or 10 years time an OS will still have a value, but lesser makes may not be saleable when old. It may make the OS more cost efective.
Also consider the plain bearing cheaper OS46LA which may be less powerful but will last a long time.
Old 02-21-2008, 08:39 PM
opjose

ORIGINAL: kdc

In 5 or 10 years time an OS will still have a value, but lesser makes may not be saleable when old. It may make the OS more cost efective.
Also consider the plain bearing cheaper OS46LA which may be less powerful but will last a long time.
I love O.S. engines.

I went to try to find a replacement liner for an old FX .46 I have. It was more than the cost of a new engine from another manufacturer.

I like the new engine.

Old 03-09-2008, 05:46 PM
flynte

I have both. If the extra money isn't a problem go with OS. With the EVO motors I have, 46's and 61's I take out the baffles at the get go and have absolutely no problems tuning or deadsticks.

flynte