Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

Kougar or Patriot

Community
Search
Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

Kougar or Patriot

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 09:16 PM
dirtmagnet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kougar or Patriot

i want another kougar but i also want a patriot. i can get a kougar kit at my local shop but have to order the patriot but also dont make the kougar no more. what should i go with?
Old 02-20-2008, 10:32 PM
SpeedBoy

Default RE: Kougar or Patriot

If you look more speed go with patriot if you dont , go with kougar

Old 02-20-2008, 10:55 PM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: dirtmagnet

i want another kougar but i also want a patriot. i can get a kougar kit at my local shop but have to order the patriot but also dont make the kougar no more. what should i go with?
The Sig Kougar MkII kit is currently being produced and is in stock at Tower Hobbies.
Old 02-21-2008, 12:30 AM
Roary m
My Feedback: (67)

Get them both. One to show and one to go.
Old 02-21-2008, 07:22 PM
dirtmagnet

roary m, i like your style. i might do that. yall think an os 55 would work good on em both or stick with the 46. and ofcourse they WILL have tuned pipes. dont beleive in a quiet engine. then you can't hear it when it quits. plus it just sounds bad $%#.
Old 02-23-2008, 01:56 AM
Roary m

A two stroke engine on the pipe is pure music; burnt fuel smells great as well.
Old 02-23-2008, 02:08 PM
dirtmagnet

well i aint gonna put a 4 stroke on a speed plane at all. if its gonna go fast i want it to even sound fast. its just hard to beat the balls to the wall sound of a 2 stroke on pipe screamin 2 feet off the runway. but do you think the 55ax or the 46ax would go best on those planes?
Old 02-26-2008, 06:26 PM
Roary m

I suppose if you had access to the 55 go for it as it will turn a 10/8 pretty hard. Otherwise the 46 would be no slouch. Jett engineering makes quarter wave pipes that are bolt on and will give it a go.
Old 02-26-2008, 08:57 PM
dirtmagnet

10-4 appreciate it.
Old 02-27-2008, 12:34 PM
paladin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Dirt, I’ve had both. You presently have a kougar so I will not go into that. My Patriot was 6.25# with B&D retracts (I’m not sure on the retracts and have purged it from my flight log). I used a Super Tigre GS45K with a 10X8 on mine. Mine started life with the fuel tank where the plans call for it but after a number of try’s to get air born on our grass field with no success I realized some thing had to change. I started by putting only 5 oz in the fuel tank and that allowed me to rotate and takeoff. So for a while I would pick the days with low humidity and I could get air born with a full tank. Then I went to 20-20 fuel and I could pretty much takeoff anytime but the higher the humidity the harrier the takeoff could get. Finally I won a pump at a flyin and I moved the fuel tank to just slightly past the CG to move the CG to the middle of the CG range with a full tank. As I burned it off the CG would move forward. Takeoffs were a breeze now. Flying it was the reason I sold it, It was limited to power on maneuvers, no stall maneuvers, no slow speed rudder maneuvers because the rudder was just no effective without lots of speed. I toyed with making the rudder bigger but that would drive a larger servo and could get me into flutter problems so I left it. The other flying problem is that the flight path was a big circle with short flat spots as it went by me. I tried slowing it down and doing split–s’s but I normally use rudder at the apex of a split-s to get the nose pointed right and the poor rudder response reared its ugly head again.

Landing required a flared approach and E adjusts AOA, while T adjusts Rate of descent. If nothing else it will improve your flying, broaden your experience base. I really enjoyed my patriot but I want you to understand it is not a kougar that goes faster. It definitely is not!

As for engine the best engine for it is a Rossi 45 or 46 (what ever they make today) it will really pull it around the sky with a pump and the fuel tank on the CG. If not that on you have a limit to ground clearance and I seam to remember that a 11 in prop cut a lot of grass. That causes the engine to be less than full power till you get it out of the grass. Next you want high RPM’s so I would go with what is an initial design point (that leads back to the rossi again). By this I mean the Super Tigre gs45k was actually a bored out 40 case, the bigger piston meant it had to move more mass (good for torque, bad for RPM’s). a lot of to days 50’s are bored out 45, that were bored out 40 (great for torque, but you want RPM’s for a patriot).

I hope this helps. If you have any questions let me know.

Joe
Old 06-15-2008, 03:40 PM
Art-RCU

I have had three kougars and will always have one. An os45fx with an 10-8 prop will take it verticl clean out of sight and it will do a knife edge loop very easily. have used 11-6 prop which increased speed more than I can use at our field. have fun Art
Old 06-17-2008, 12:43 PM
squeakalong
My Feedback: (8)

I'd stay with the Kougar. Have built/flown three over the years and am seriously considering a fourth kit to be built ths coming winter. Truly a great flying aircraft. I just ordered the O.S. .46 AX to use on another model and if it performs well I'll use one on the next Kougar build. Never had the need for the tuned pipe as the Kougar performed great without it. Might finish it this time in the Navy Blue Angels colors. Bottom line: the Sig Kougar will STILL turn heads at the field...it's a super design. Soft landings. Joe