Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

Best Flying Sport Plane??

Community
Search
Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

Best Flying Sport Plane??

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2019, 08:23 PM
the Wasp
My Feedback: (1)

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

any one know where I can buy the "ModelTech Dragon Lady" inside the USA ??
I have searched but can not find it.

thanks guys!
Jim
Old 01-08-2020, 11:50 PM
J330
My Feedback: (3)

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
Default 1 year late?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Model-Tech-...-/283576755113
Old 01-09-2020, 06:33 AM
A. J. Clark

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

One of the best flying airplanes I've ever had was the top flite Tauri designed by Ed Kazmirski. Kited by top flite in 1964. A club member let me fly his one time . I was new to the hobby then with little experience and couldn't believe how smooth it flew. I get the plans and built myself one. Scaled it up a little . It's considered a trainer but is very capable of doing a lot of maneuvers.
Old 01-12-2020, 06:08 AM
carlgrover

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by the Wasp
any one know where I can buy the "ModelTech Dragon Lady" inside the USA ??
I have searched but can not find it.

thanks guys!
Jim
Wow, that ebay kit that was posted sure was spendy! I saw two dragon lady kits at Perry last year. I think they were both north of $150 each. As bad as I want one, I'm not paying that much. There was a guy on one of the forums who was scratch building one. I believe he was offering up some plans he had made for it. It might be worth looking in to if you want one. The plans he was offering were not for a first time builder though.

carl
Old 01-18-2020, 03:30 PM
Waco
My Feedback: (265)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thats what is wrong today with old kits, people are paying outrages prices for them, the older kits that cost 50- 90 dollars new are now going for 2 hundred and up. some of these I have built and they are not that good of quality, wood is heavy, some is warped, instructions are sketchy and most times there was hardware missing. why would you pay 300 dollars for a low quality kit that worth only 70-100 dollars. Just because it is old don't make it worth having. I guess as long as there people willing to pay those prices people will ask for the price.
Old 01-18-2020, 07:04 PM
the Wasp
My Feedback: (1)

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Waco
thats what is wrong today with old kits, people are paying outrages prices for them, the older kits that cost 50- 90 dollars new are now going for 2 hundred and up. some of these I have built and they are not that good of quality, wood is heavy, some is warped, instructions are sketchy and most times there was hardware missing. why would you pay 300 dollars for a low quality kit that worth only 70-100 dollars. Just because it is old don't make it worth having. I guess as long as there people willing to pay those prices people will ask for the price.
there was a guy on RCGs about 2 months ago that was selling a . 60 size GP ShoeString NIB for $400, it sold for like $229. I pm'ed him and he would not come down, I asked cause I could have driven to pick it up. I wonder how much it would have cost to ship it UPS, at $100 it would have made it a $500 deal

I have a giant PA GeeBee Y NIB on RCGs for $500 with Robart struts, I have $680 invested in it, I can't sell it, shipping is the killer

Jim
Old 01-20-2020, 04:50 AM
J330

I built vintage kits many times over the years that I've been in the hobby and didn't have your experience. Today people who can afford to collect or actually buy and build a vintage kit choose so to enjoy the experience. Builders like myself have cabinets full of hardware and prefer the quality hardware of choice than what comes in a kit anyway. The wood is not heavy or warped when the kit is properly stored and left as it was originally packaged. Instructions are part of the nostalgia.

Nothing wrong with $300. I gave up my collection and I'm glad I pulled in $8000 to distribute it to other closets. If you really want new, find one from one of the remaining kit makers or get one just recently discontinued from Great Planes for example that hasn't become vintage yet. The best part of building a classic is the superior flight characteristics it has, or living again the first time you built that kit and flew it. I enjoy the maiden flight and then I'm pretty much down with it. Anyone want a X Ray Amco kit? I have one built with a HP 40 and two new in box kits. If you're interested in new balsa, just ask for the plans. They're very easy to build, Lou Andrews design. Just an example of a $29 kit that now goes for $150. $29 in 1968 is $214 in today's money by the way. Hope that helps you understand the money aspect also. It's not today's $29 that bought the kit so long ago.
Old 01-20-2020, 08:16 AM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you want an older vintage kit, there are a few guys that will laser cut a short kit for you at a fairly reasonable price. All you need is the online plan or instructions, and hardware with a few sticks and sheeting. They are often cut much better than the die crunching and actually fit. Some are modified to fly better, or be stronger than the old antiques too. Balsaworkbench comes to mind, there are many others.
The following users liked this post:
thailazer (01-25-2020)
Old 02-12-2020, 08:53 PM
J330

X ray plans are found online, free download. See attached, also found here - https://freercplans.com/plan7498.search.htm
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
X-Ray_oz3187.pdf (1.04 MB, 112 views)
The following users liked this post:
tailskid (03-17-2020)
Old 03-17-2020, 04:38 AM
johnrayan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's not that easy to say which is the best...
Old 06-25-2020, 06:10 PM
cfoxtrot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Best all around flying sport plane I've flown would be the old Goldberg Tiger (now available from Great Planes). Did what you wanted it to do with great slow speed characteristics.

Sure miss that plane(loss due to a head on collision with a super chipmunk). Oh it doesn't fly well with half the wing missing!

Last edited by cfoxtrot; 06-26-2020 at 06:40 AM.
Old 06-26-2020, 04:24 AM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

The very best flying sport plane is any present day lightweight aerobatic precision/3D airplane setup for mild aerobatics.

Bob

Last edited by sensei; 06-26-2020 at 04:26 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by sensei:
ahicks (07-08-2020), combatpigg (01-03-2023)
Old 07-01-2020, 07:25 PM
nickj

Over a hundred posts and not one mention of the Goldberg Super Chipmunk. None of the 40 or 50 planes I've flown over the years handled quite as well or looked as good doing it. The Super Sportsters (Had one of each size) were easy to fly and could do just about anything you asked, but weren't as quick as the Chipmunk.
Old 07-02-2020, 05:24 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by nickj
Over a hundred posts and not one mention of the Goldberg Super Chipmunk. None of the 40 or 50 planes I've flown over the years handled quite as well or looked as good doing it. The Super Sportsters (Had one of each size) were easy to fly and could do just about anything you asked, but weren't as quick as the Chipmunk.
Maybe so, but remember the OP asked about the Best Flying Sports Plane and not the quickest.
Old 07-02-2020, 09:06 PM
nickj

By quickest, I don't mean fastest. I'm talking about responsiveness. Doing exactly what you want, immediately. To me, that's what makes a great flying plane.
Old 07-06-2020, 06:40 PM
zenith16
My Feedback: (13)

Default Big Hots

Just finished a Big Hots and was anxious to see how it flew. Very happy with responsiveness and how this DA50 drags it around. My third in the Hots Series definitely not my last.
Old 07-06-2020, 06:45 PM
zenith16
My Feedback: (13)

Default Twin Hots

Here is another custom Hots. All fly great. Unfortunately they are no more resistant to Mother Earth.
Old 07-12-2020, 01:31 PM
H5606

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by zenith16
Just finished a Big Hots and was anxious to see how it flew. Very happy with responsiveness and how this DA50 drags it around. My third in the Hots Series definitely not my last.
Aesthetically pleasing all around complemented by the color scheme -

Thoughts are that this has got to be one of the all time great designs of form following function - the original .40 size Hots made good pilots even better and lousy pilots like myself think they were making a good impression for others with their throttle on a toggle switch.

Dan Santich sure knew how to make a very basic boxy structure and constant chord wing look absolutely awesome - thanks for sharing.
Old 08-06-2022, 07:37 PM
Oldsalt1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up What a great discussion group

Originally Posted by DustBen
What an interesting thread!
After building over 225 models and flying 500 or so, I would suggest that there're several "best sport model" ever.

All the folks picking the Kaos and Ultra-Sport are onto a great design that might have actually started with the Daddy Rabbit series. The designs are rock solidbut I can think of better designs that fly fast, but have a much larger performance envelope at slower speeds.

For my money, three designs have consistently stood out. All three can turn inside out, but allow themselves to be saved easily.

1) A well built and light Goldberg Ultimate Bipe 300 can do a lot. It'll groove like a pattern ship, roll better'n a Kaos, knifedge forever, but do slow snaps and soft entry spins predictably.

2) Several people listed the 4-Star series and Sportsters. Of the genre of low wing taildraggers that are simple to build, the best might be from a former Sig designer named Bruce Tharpe. His Venture 60 is the simplest to build, strongest, and most potent of all listed above.

3) The Morris Hobbies, Jerry's Big Boy can do more than enough inside a small size box. With a powerful but light piped motor, it'll make hacks lookbrilliant (isn't that what sport flying is, anyhow?).

But anyday I come across the following kits, I'm on them like white on rice:
1) A .60 sized Goldberg Tiger
2) The .60 and .90 size, original Ace Cloud Dancers
3) Sig Astro Hog. Like a good woman, she'll never let you down
4) XL+2
5) A good Uproar built lightly with a piped .32 on it will cause painful grinning!
6) The .60 size Hots
7) any scratch built project using Ringmaster C/L wing platform!
So glad he listed the UPROAR, I would also agree with just about any Stick (I have several) too bad the U Can Dos are no longer around,, they made all of us look like aces. The Model Tech Majic was also a ground breaker for fun fly and sport flying. I have built many 4*40s and 60s and hacked the plans enlarging the rudder, elevator and ailerons and flattening the wings. I also love all of my Ultimates of any size along with the Aeromasters for fun bipes.

For most advanced sport flying let's remember the Extras, Edges, Sbachs and Lasers. Someone mentioned the World Model Sky Raider II, we used to buy those cheapies with a .40 and common fuel and pylon race them and have fun sport flying them.

But my all time favorite was my Giant U Can Do with a Moki 2.10 followed by by Goldberg Wild Stick 120 both with crow set up, you could easily land backward in a stiff wind. Lastly lets not forger the Telemasters!

Thanks for all the memories, hope I stirred a few more for the rest of you.