Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

Best Flying Sport Plane??

Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

Best Flying Sport Plane??

Old 04-03-2008, 05:54 PM
TideFlyer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Best Flying Sport Plane??

I`m well aware that this is wildly subjective, but thought the topic might spice up the forum and stimulate some debate. Personally, I think the Pulse series ( assuming the 60 size flys as good as the 40 ) from Hangar 9 is destined to join the 4*s and Goldberg Tigers as an RC classic sport plane.
Old 04-03-2008, 06:55 PM
Sherman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Best Flying Sport Plane??

I'll go along with the 4star and Tiger and Pulse. In addition, would highly recomment the Kaos, the Calmato sport and the Cermark Graduate. There are many more, but have had experience with all of these planes, and have been pleased with them. One notable attribute of the Kaos, Graduate and Calmato ias their low price.
Old 04-03-2008, 08:15 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A lot of people will tell you it's the GP Ultrasport. I have the kit but haven't built it yet so I have to take their word on it for now. I really like the GP Super Sportsters both my .40 and .60 size are great. Well, the .40 WAS... Another good one is the World Models Rambler .45. It comes with retracts, flys like it is on a rail and lands near as gently as a trainer. It's currently my most flown plane.

Come to think of it, they're all cool. I think I will keep buying and building them all in a never ending search for the best.
The following users liked this post:
rebranger (09-20-2021)
Old 04-03-2008, 09:25 PM
RhyanO

Come on guys, can there really be any debate on this.........
The UltraSport is the best sport plane!!!

The Pulse, Tiger and 4 Star...... Please.... they dont come close to how nice an Ultra Sport flies.

Seriously though all the planes you have listed are fine airplanes and they all fly extremely well, my personal preference however is the UltraSport.
Its too bad that they dont come out with an ARF version of this airplane so more people could
have a chance to fly such a fine airplane.

Happy flying,
Ryan
rebranger (09-20-2021)
Old 04-03-2008, 11:29 PM
ChuckW

ORIGINAL: RhyanO

Its too bad that they dont come out with an ARF version of this airplane so more people could
have a chance to fly such a fine airplane.
Maybe if enough people request it, it might get considered. Great Planes has a suggestion form on their web site.
Old 04-04-2008, 12:09 AM
Yellowsierra02

I love My Pulse XT. I have a OS .55ax with a Ultra thrust muffler. Im running a 10 x7 prop and turning 15,600. I had it radared wednesday @109 mph and 133mph in a straight down dive. It also has good slow speed flying. The one bad thing about the plane is it comes in hot on landings and has fairly weak landing gear. I ripped the bottom of my plane/landing gear a couple times and finally built it stronger with some 1/8" ply. It hasnt broke since. Besides that it flys great. Its currently my favorate plane. Im thinking about getting the Sundowner 50 next. I just ordered a Jett 60 lx. Im wanting something with alittle more speed.

Justin
Old 04-04-2008, 07:11 AM
simmo8

g day
i think that the parkzone f27 c stryker is the best sport plane i have flown but i have only flown parkflyers it is fast but kind of easy to fly as long as you dont lose concerntration i havent yet met someone who does not like the plane it flys beautifuley and is great value for money
happy flying

simmo
Old 04-04-2008, 09:11 AM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The best flying sport model off all time has to be the Ugly Stick. I am still flying them today. Good Luck, Dave
rebranger (09-20-2021)
Old 04-04-2008, 11:26 AM
TideFlyer

Hard to argue with the Sticks being right up there. Been around for a LONG time!
rebranger (09-20-2021)
Old 04-04-2008, 11:43 AM
js3
My Feedback: (3)

Midwest Steet Stick. The best of the best.
Old 04-04-2008, 12:21 PM
AA5BY

Not a nomination for the best... but it was a very good plane that deserves to be remembered because it has held endearing memories for a lot of years now long after its demise. I continue to think it was my best flying plane but that was back when flying off a school parking lot and hard surface. It had trike gear.

Oh.. the plane? It was made by a rather small company that has been out of business for a long time and I don't think the plane was ever picked up by another manufacturer. That company was Southern RC. The plane, a .40 size Alley Cat.

It was the only plane I've built and there have been a great many that required absolutely no trim for the maiden flight or subsequent balance or thrust changes. It was a fantastic flyer.
Old 04-04-2008, 07:21 PM
ChuckW

ORIGINAL: simmo8

g day
i think that the parkzone f27 c stryker is the best sport plane i have flown but i have only flown parkflyers it is fast but kind of easy to fly as long as you dont lose concerntration i havent yet met someone who does not like the plane it flys beautifuley and is great value for money
happy flying

simmo
Speaking of park flyers... the Parkzone T-28 is a great airplane, especially given the low price. It is nearly as much fun to fly as a .40 size sport plane.
Old 04-04-2008, 07:57 PM
d_bodary
My Feedback: (85)

KAOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-05-2008, 06:58 AM
simmo8

hello
they sound like a good plane i wouldent mind a parkzone p51 mustang or a spitty the only letdown that parkzone has is the crapyness of there servos and some of the raideo gear is a bit bujo to but they do build great planes
happy flying

simmo
Old 04-05-2008, 08:11 PM
dhal22

a kaos and the ultra sport are the same plane, one just has a turtle deck and canopy. but either way it is regarded as the best flyer ever.

david
rebranger (09-20-2021)
Old 04-07-2008, 12:20 AM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

Kougar
Old 04-07-2008, 08:43 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Hands down winner, Ultra Sport!!!!

Close second place, Kaos.

Ken
rebranger (09-20-2021)
Old 04-07-2008, 10:22 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

I don't know about 'best' but the Cermark Graduate 40 should (but won't) rank right up there and yes the Stik's.....can't beat a stik
Old 04-07-2008, 10:30 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

After flying around in circles for about 10 years, I was kind of burned out with it, until the Goldberg Ultimate Bipe came out, what an easy plane to fly but so capable, it made me look better than I was / really am. Shortly thereafter Morris Hobbies came out with the SuDoKoi / Rossi .45 package, again this plane falls into that same category, a great all around plane and very easy to fly with conservative settings. Since then I would say that any of your 3D type models have much more to offer the sport flyer because they will do anything you can dream up and land on a dime.
Old 04-10-2008, 04:14 PM
IL2windhawk

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The ModelTech Dragon Lady is a real sweetheart.
It's like a 4*, but significantly better in all aspects (my humble opinion).

Here is mine with new covering.

The following 2 users liked this post by IL2windhawk:
MetallicaJunkie (09-14-2020), rebranger (09-20-2021)
Old 04-11-2008, 12:12 AM
bigugly

Ultra sport all the way.

I have a Tiger 60, Pulse, and a few other great sport planes but they dont compare to the US.
Old 04-11-2008, 01:34 AM
TZflyer

I am a relative beginner, been flying about 6 months now, and consider myself a sport pilot. No real interest in competing or 3D, just having fun flying.
I moved to a Big Stik from my trainer and thought: wow, this aircraft is incredible. Aerobatic, fun, simple and very easy to land.
I stayed away from looking at the 3D type airplanes because they somehow seemed too advanced for my skills but I couldn't help buying a Showtime 50 from H9. Just something about the way the plane looks appealed to me.
I nervously maidened my beauty and what a surprise! On low rates she is as gentle as my Stik and even easier to land. She tracks really well and has a very gentle stall.
I know the ST 50 is not classed as a sport plane but I think that many of the 3D/funfly planes make really good sport planes. My friends (also beginners) are flying a twist and a Sig Something Extra and both agree that they are actually easier to fly and land than their traditional sport planes (a pulse and a stik).

Ray
Old 04-14-2008, 09:17 PM
MetallicaJunkie

Ultra sport had arfs in the early 90''s im sure the kits version flies better, and is lighter..... the global tornado was great too, now im really into the La Racer, dont let the racer part fool you, it a sport airplane IMO http://ecsvr.com/twm/shopexd.asp?id=2137
Old 04-15-2008, 05:53 AM
Tango Juliet

It may not be fully aerobatics capable, but one of my favorites has been, and continues to be the "Combat Gremlin". It''s so stable as far as flying wings go. In fact it was the first airplane I ever solo''d and made a deadstick landing within ten feet of myself. Because of it''s design, I''ve become quite proficient at deadstick landings.
Old 04-15-2008, 12:51 PM
SpeedBoy

My vote is to Ultra Sport ever

The perfect plane in category sport/fast/fun ( to me )
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13801.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	273.8 KB
ID:	929724  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.