Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

I would never enter a contest because......

Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

I would never enter a contest because......

Old 04-30-2008, 10:58 AM
Jburry

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: I would never enter a contest because......

I don't fly competatively (and don't plan to) because there is very little local competition, and my skills aren't there yet. Fun Fly competitions (balloon burst, limbo's, all-open trainer pylon races, spot landing comps) are an exception. Ditto informal, impromptu chase-and-evade racing between nicely matched sport planes, lots of fun.

I'm working on novice pattern stuff now, mostly to improve my plane-handling skills. Difficult stuff when you're only really capable plane is a .46 sized mustang! I think a little something extra is in my future.

I've done the competative thing before, with other hobbies. Judo, swimming, cross country mountain biking, shooting, and a few others. Every time, for me, the competition was half as fun as the practice. Yup, I was successful with some of my competitions, but really the training was where it was at.

I'm planning a fun-fly for my club this fall. Little one day event, and I'm gonna include some competitions. But they'll be relatively informal. Pylon racing will be trainers for one race, all open sport in another, everything else will be open to any and all. Wanna see a 3 channel LA25 trainer compete with a .46 nexstar in a little pylon action? I do!

J
Old 04-30-2008, 01:17 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

The "fly what you brung" types of events are good to get club members involved and eliminates the excuse of having to have a specialized design to enter. The funny thing is (and one of the reasons I started this thread), If everyone in my club (close to 200 members) that owned an IMAC legal airplane entered our IMAC contest there would be at least 100 entries I believe! We have typically had close to 20 or less. Certainly not enough to close the field for 2 days. I personally believe that 2 day events should be avoided unless there is a large number of entries pre-registered.
Old 04-30-2008, 03:49 PM
Tango Juliet

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: vertical grimmace

I personally believe that 2 day events should be avoided unless there is a large number of entries pre-registered.
I agree. In fact, our clubs most recent event, a warbird and scale fly-in, was only scheduled for Saturday. I'm not sure yet how the turn-out was, I was at work. Events prior to that were scheduled for Saturday and Sunday. The second day usually turned into a fly whatever you have, normal club Sunday, because out-of-towners were packing up to leave and get home early.
Old 04-30-2008, 03:49 PM
SST
My Feedback: (2)

Congratulations Regent, that is the most pompous, presumtuous, insulting and condecending post I've read in months.

You're why a lot of us aren't impressed with competing...
Old 05-01-2008, 05:27 AM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Geez guys, most all of you are WAY ahead of me in this fun-vs-contest thing. Years ago I flew CL aerobatic "competitions" (still fly CL aerobats just for fun) but I've never become good enough for RC "competitions" of any kind.

I may be way off, but I see contests as another learning tool - you're taking a test to measure yourself and your skills against others to see what you still need to improve. There's a huge difference between contests and competition.

To me, the real contest is taking a plane out to the field and flying it to the max I'm capable of - then bringing it back home intact. Over the years I've taught dozens to fly, and most of them are better fliers now than I'll EVER be. Shoot, right now I've got 4 students going and one of them has been flying for nearly a year. He's already better than I am in some things - and he's helping teach the other 3. His idea of a contest right now is formation flying - mine is watching him stay with my plane.

It's all a matter of perspective.

Dave
Old 05-01-2008, 07:05 AM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: jrf

Never winning at the expense of others feelings.
Really? We sure have a disconnect here regarding what "competition" and "contest" mean.

What you describe is not a Contest. It is a bunch of guys who like to fly a certain way, with a certain type of airplane, taking over a flying field for a weekend and not letting anyone else fly. Why don't other people enter your "contests"? Because consciously or subconsciously, you are excluding them.

Jim
If you go to a scale contest, would you expect to find a quickee-500, or a 3-D model? I don't think so. I fly competition events in scale. We have a lot of fun between rounds, but you get serious when you grab your transmitter out of the impound. The rest of the time, it's you and your friends that you only see once or twice a year having a good time.

We are not excluding anyone. You exclude yourself by not participating in that type of event. I enjoy watching guys fly competition 3-D. I choose not to do that. Do I feel left out? No, because that is not the type of flying that I enjoy. You can't be all things to all people, and no one can be that for you. Don't feel excluded because your club has a certain kind of contest. Remember, that is one of the things that raises money so that your club can have things that you don't have to reach in your own pocket to fund.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 05-01-2008, 09:07 AM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: SST

Congratulations Regent, that is the most pompous, presumtuous, insulting and condecending post I've read in months.

You're why a lot of us aren't impressed with competing...
This forum is mostly out of my range, however IMO, Regent very probably has a fair summation of the actual situation. Life is an on-going competition and the final "prize" comes to everyone, some early on, some much later, some in-between.
As once upon a time being a hard-core competitor in FF and CL, mostly Stunt, now too lazy to get into serious competition, I can see all positions as being OK. [sm=regular_smile.gif]

Long ago, I quit Bass Masters, because IMO that organization was only involved in protecting that sport for a select few that did it strictly for hire. While I was still into certain RC competition, mostly Scale Warbird Racing, I rejected Bass Tournaments.
While I was one that had no interests in high school sports they interfered with my fishing, hunting, and model airplanes I was competitive in other areas like CL model airplanes while living where no one else knew what such was.

One year after graduating from high school in 1954, I entered the biggest competition of my life by getting accepted for the USAF Aviation Cadet program. With 60% of the class washing out, that was a strong competition every day for 15 months. There were many days, especially during the "lower class" days, that I wanted to quit, but then thought, "I made it yesterday, I'll make it today." I'll bet that many of you have those days at work. Actually, that day of pinning on those silver wings and the gold bars, I couldn't remember one bad day!

There is nothing wrong with whether one does model airplanes for fun and relaxation or for hard-core competition or in-between. That is one of the greatest points of model aviation: One can find a spot where one wants to be. IMO, that one may change along the road, or may not. Isn't it great that such a freedom of selection does still exist in some spot in our lives? No one is trying to wash you out!

Now a club may have people that wish to do different things. So the club selects a few competitions to host. Such keeps the competitors happy and working. All the other days keep the sport fliers going. Again, something for everyone, and that is what keeps a club going to maintain a flying field.

So, IMO, You do as you please, but as a club member, if you jump in and help with the chores, you may find a lot more fun and camaraderie just among your fellow clubmembers. After all, maintaining the Club and the flying facility is the main objective that serves everyone regardless of personal flying interests. Model Aviation has been a big part of my life and now at 72 years young it still is. You have every option, so why not help your buddies with their options. Great World if you want it to be. [sm=teeth_smile.gif]

Old 05-01-2008, 10:55 AM
SST

So, IMO, You do as you please, but as a club member, if you jump in and help with the chores, you may find a lot more fun and camaraderie just among your fellow clubmembers. After all, maintaining the Club and the flying facility is the main objective that serves everyone regardless of personal flying interests. Model Aviation has been a big part of my life and now at 72 years young it still is. You have every option, so why not help your buddies with their options. Great World if you want it to be.
Don't preach to me...I was in my club for less than three months when I took the chairmanship of the club swap meet. It's easily the largest in the state, and it is what provides our operating capital for the year, and allows us to have one of the nicest and most well-equipped facilities around, at a ridiculously low dues rate. After two years of that, I became the club safety officer for two more years. Since I don't think I have five years as a member until winter, I think I qualify as a participant. The 'If you don't compete, you don't count' attitude is what I don't like...Almost as bad as horse show breed snobs.

Fortunately, we don't have many 'superstars' at our club, but there's another local club with a couple of nats-level primadonnas who think they're the only one in the air when they fly. They'll hover 1/3 scale planes 3 feet off the center of the runway when there are a dozen other planes in the air, and I watched one of these guys refusing to clear the runway, forcing landing pilots to roll out 3 feet underneath him!
Old 05-01-2008, 04:52 PM
vertical grimmace

Never winning at the expense of others feelings.
Really? We sure have a disconnect here regarding what "competition" and "contest" mean.

What you describe is not a Contest. It is a bunch of guys who like to fly a certain way, with a certain type of airplane, taking over a flying field for a weekend and not letting anyone else fly. Why don't other people enter your "contests"? Because consciously or subconsciously, you are excluding them.

Jim
JRF, I am sorry but but you are way off base, and really, basically clueless. This comment comes from some one who obviously has a very narrow range of experience and will continue to know very little about the broad scope of model aviation by intentionally eliminating your self from participating. You are probably one of the very few I have met in this hobby that I would really prefer to not enter one my events anyway.
Old 05-01-2008, 09:10 PM
jrf
My Feedback: (551)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Only some 10% of RC modelers participate in competitions of any kind. (Confirmed on a local level by an earlier poster here.) You started this thread supposedly to find out why the other 90% don't. Then you argue and belittle the people who are trying to give you honest answers. Well, you can call me anything you want, I'm secure in my accomplishments in this hobby.

I finally realized that you don't really want answers. You seem convinced that your way is the best way to enjoy RC flying, but 90% of the RC world disagrees with you. I can understand why that would be unsettling.

Oh, and don't worry, I won't be entering any of your "contests".

Jim
Old 05-02-2008, 11:14 AM
SST

Only some 10% of RC modelers participate in competitions of any kind. (Confirmed on a local level by an earlier poster here.) You started this thread supposedly to find out why the other 90% don't. Then you argue and belittle the people who are trying to give you honest answers. Well, you can call me anything you want, I'm secure in my accomplishments in this hobby.

I finally realized that you don't really want answers. You seem convinced that your way is the best way to enjoy RC flying, but 90% of the RC world disagrees with you. I can understand why that would be unsettling.

Jim
'Nuff said...
Old 05-02-2008, 01:26 PM
vertical grimmace

Jim
I did not initiate the belittling and attacking, I was just retorting your post. I am not unsetteled that 10% of pilots compete. It really does not matter. I started this thread to ask why. I confirmed one of my beliefs that many have misconceptions and preconcieved notions about competing and competitions as confirmed by your posts.
Old 05-02-2008, 01:29 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I think I need to step in here. There are some personal jabs going back and forth here, and this is totally unacceptable. This is the sport flying thread and it's really not the proper place to discuss the aspects of competition. One of the defining aspects of Sport Flying is that it's NOT competition. I let the thread stay when it was first posted here because I was interested to see where it went, but when people start to insult those that don't enter competition then it's crossed the lines and I need to deal with it. I could clean up the thread and remove the posts in question, but it's my opinion that would slice up the thread too much. So rather than that I'm simply going to lock the thread and close it out. I feel that this subject has ran it's course within the guidelines of this forum.

Ken