Community
Search
Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

FUN FLYS

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 04:46 AM
matt13

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default FUN FLYS

I am thinking of suggesting a Fun Fly for our local club, as it has been a while since we have had one. What are peoples favourate contests for fun fly's? What is a good mix that will work best with experienced flyers and new pilots alike?
Old 05-04-2008, 08:22 AM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: FUN FLYS

You can have time flight, which is whoever flys closet to the set amount of time wins, most loops in a minute, limbo, spot landings, most touch and go's in a minute, longest glide after a 1 minute powered flight and so on. Good Luck, Dave
Old 05-05-2008, 08:17 AM
CustomPC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have a four round Series each year.

Our events are

Most loops in 60 seconds - no explanantion needed here.
Limbo - Fly under a streamer about 10ft high - make it more challenging by putting another streamer at obout 5ft and flying between them.
Carrier Landing - land in a marked rectangle about 12x3 yards.
10 Second powered climb with a motor-off glide to a spot landing in a 2 yard circle. Points awarded for glide time and closest to spot.

These have proven to be quite challenging for all participants from novices to the experts.

Almost all of the pilots use the Modeltech Magic which seems to fit the tasks very nicely. Some have tried profiles and sticks. I am trying the Hangar-9 Tango. I don't think it matters as it's all in good fun. Just listening to the banter and pot-stirring amongs the participants makes for a fun day even for the non-fliers.
Old 05-05-2008, 08:37 AM
matt13

Thanks for the replies, keep them coming as the more idears the better.
I like the four round idea, do you fly all four in one contest, or spread them out over the year? Matt
Old 05-05-2008, 10:32 AM
f_shawn68

Longest glide is also one we do. How about an egg drop from 100 ft and closest to the target wins.
Old 05-05-2008, 11:05 AM
Jburry

We've done the limbo, started with the tape at 10', and the winner took it at 1', with a F27C stryker...

Balloon chases are fun! Release a few helium balloons, try to pop'em with the airplanes/heli's. Way harder than it looks, and a blast to watch. Requires low, favorable winds.

All-allowed trainer pylon race. Just make'em high wing and trainerish, no size or type restrictions beyond that, fly circuits around poles, 10 laps, about 50yd legs...

Trainer air-combat, with 20' streamers...

bomb drop: Mound a coffee cup (styro, paper) on top of the plane at CG, put a "bomb" in it. Think pingpong ball or similar. Mark out a bullseye on the field, plane rolls inverted to "release".

Helicopter drag races.... Start on the ground, high idle, first one to the other end of the runway winds... That's a hoot if you've got GOOD heli pilots!

J
Old 05-05-2008, 06:18 PM
jrbmoto

Heres a fun event:
-Engine start race-
Hold your propeller in one hand with the prop nut and washer on the end of the prop, nut on top of washer.
On your mark...Get set.... Go!!
All contestants must walk 20 yards to their airplane, without dropping the nut and washer, if they do, they have to go back to the start.
Attach the prop.... first engine running wins. No electric starters allowed.
-Another-
Have a start/finish line across the runway.
Contestant must take off, do one roll and one loop, land and cross the start/finish line. Plane must be on the ground while crossing the line but you can cross the line from either direction.
Shortest time wins.
Old 05-05-2008, 08:35 PM
JohnMcGowan
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

we are having a ssc combat and an addditional funfly this coming Saturday- we do the dixie death events and they are a hoot to fly in as well as watch. Dixie Death= take off, 3 loops, 3 rolls 3 spins and touchdown on the runway in the shortest time. Another I think already mentioned is the climb and glide- Climb as high as you can for 30 secs, kill your engine and the one who can stay airborne the longest while touching back down ON THE RUNWAY, not out in never -never land wins. Also the most touch and goes in a minute are fun to do. Another is I think maybe mentioned above is take off and climb, kill your engine and the one whos wheel (or front of prop)is closest to a detemined spot on the runway wins... thats trickier than it sounds!
Whatever yall do, have fun with it-thats what counts!! Oh,..... and in the funfly events, you had better make it clear to keep the engine selection grouped together, i.e. glow powered vs glow powered, electric vs electric, otherwise you will have someone come out with a small electric plane weighing about a pound competeing against 5-6-7 lbs glow planes and the electric guy will clean your clock. We had a guy show up last year at our last funfly with a little electric 3D job that weighed less than a pound and had he not screwed the pooch, ( ran out of the boundty lines on 2 events) he would have won EASILY! The little electric did 3 loops in the area of about 3 foot and was back on the ground in like 4 or 5 seconds. Not much competion for a glow plane 4 or 5 times its size Dang those electrics!!! LOL
John

Good luck,
John
Old 05-06-2008, 08:39 AM
matt13

Excellent stuff here thanks, I now have plently of ideas to take to the club meeting and hopefully get some interest going. Matt