Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

training young ones

Community
Search
Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

training young ones

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 03:08 PM
flybyjohn
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default training young ones

I have a question about training young kids to fly, my own kids. My daughter is 7 and son is almost 9. I was working on a foam wing version of a butterfly but it looks like it would take quite a bit more time to get it all flight worthy. With simulators and patch cords for transmitter to transmitter learning, do you think it is possible to teach children to fly with a sports model plane. I figure the thing they need to learn most is to counter steer their banks before pulling up on elevator (get thier wings to create lift in the upward direction). Once they learn this it should be fairly easy for them to fly a slow sport plane on the trainer transmitter. With them being kids that learn hand eye coordination so much quicker than adults, do you think this method of training would work. A little simulator time and then some flight time, and then back to the simulator. This would work well for me because I have several slow planes that would work good I think.

What do you all think?
John
Old 02-10-2009, 03:29 PM
rcflyby
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: training young ones

Thats sounds good to me. One thing that worked for me was have some other member help at the field. They seemed to learn fast than dad training them. My son love the sim and he wants to play all the time. One day he going to pass me by and leave me in the dust. I can't wait. I love spending time with him and taking him flying. Good luck and be patience.

Happy Landings
Mike
Old 02-10-2009, 05:26 PM
TedMo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My thoughts are a buddy cord system is definitly the way to go for young or OLD kids. Saves a lot of repairs and/or replacements.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:48 PM
dhal22

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i have a 5 yo (6 this summer), it's about time to start teaching him. i just noticed a couple of durable trainers on fleabay that might fit the bill.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:03 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

with a buddy box I have taught people to fly using Ultra Sticks. took a little longer to solo but they had flying down pat by then
Old 02-11-2009, 12:52 AM
flybyjohn
My Feedback: (2)

I was thinking about a couple of days a week through the spring and summer and then we will see where they are and if they need some slower training. I understand about the other person at the field, sometimes kids won't hear what dad has to say but listen intently to any other person around.
Thanks
Old 02-11-2009, 12:47 PM
Springer
My Feedback: (1)

My son is 8 and he is learning to fly. He started towards the end of last season.

He loves Realflight. It is a great tool to get them familiar with the controls and what the stick inputs will do.

He has not soloed yet but is close. I had him flying a 3 channel trainer but he got bored with it quickly. He saw others doing loops and rolls and wanted to do them too. I bought a Parkzone Corsair and that is his new plane. He can fly it fairly well and I only have to take over occasionally. Still has a lot to learn but he enjoys the plane much more.

I agree with the idea of having them start with someone else. My son learned much more quickly with my friend teaching him. He would not fly with me and insisted my friend teach him. I guess they have an automatic rejection of instructions from a parent. After he felt more comfortable he was fine with me on the buddy box control.

I have him do basic skills for the first half of the flight and for the last half I let him do whatever he wants. I have seen him recover from some wild stuff. Just keep them high for that and remember to take it back before your limits are reached. This has kept the learning process fun for both of us.
Old 02-25-2009, 01:58 PM
PoormansACE

Children pick up flying so fast its almost spooky. If youve got a standard 4 channel trainer, or something like a four star, sit them down, explain the controls, put them on a buddy cord, be paitent, and PRESTO! It wont take long before the kids are out flying you!

One thing to point out, I've witnessed kids that wanted to learn, and dads that want to teach, most times it works, but sometimes the family dynamics get in the way. (ex: "NO, your doing it wrong! quit that!" ""just let me try") In flying model airplanes, things happen fast, with a new plane, plus a new student, (who happens to be you tax deduction) it's easy to say what needs to be done (PULL UP) and EMPLY the wrong emphisis! And thats no fun for you or the kid, and when its no fun, the kid dosent want to learn. Ive seen a kid or 2 struggle like this.

when this is the case, Introduce an unrelated third party and take a step back. Let clubmate Bob have a whack at playing instructor. Bob has an edge over dad sometimes.
first off, Bob dosent give a damned about your plane! Let Bob KNOW that when the wings get torn off this one, he dosent have to worry about replacing it and youve got another one on order! So he will let the kid make the correction! (I know is sounds nuts, weve all been there, student in a "death dive" so we want to take over at the first HINT of trouble. If your 3 mistakes high, give the kid a full 2! you'll be suprised, they figure the way out of a tangle faster than adults!)
Second, Bob can't ground the kid, or make the kid eat all his lima beans, and the kid dosent see Bob every day, and Bob is fun, so when Bob says "pull up" just like you did! Guess what happens! NOW were ALL havin FUN!
Finally, when that inevitable first crash happens, (hopefully no one is hurt, and all the cars in the parking lot dont have new dents!) Applaude! cheer! this is AWESOME! Make it a positive note!

This hobby has so much to teach us about life it's not funny. make the best of it!
Old 02-25-2009, 02:01 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It really discourages me how fast young people learn

In reality it is the fact that I cannot let go of the fact that I can no longer learn that fast