Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

what easy tame plane for fun?

Community
Search
Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

what easy tame plane for fun?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 04:37 PM
fadi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: what easy tame plane for fun?

Thanks for your input F16man
I think I am hesitating between the Sportster, the Escapade and why not buy again another sig fourstar...

As said previously, the Venus will not fit in my budget, and I don't want to upgrade frame size or whatsoever, I already have all the required accessories for a 40sized model.
Engine will be OS .46AX

Sandseeker, the T34 was a very famous plane at my club two years ago (was living in dubai just like you, and flying at nad el sheba).
I remember it flew amazingly well, and was quite fast and agile with an OS .46FX

I've found that The World Models airplanes are generally quite good in construction, but unfortunately with no reputation here in Europe.
Difficult to find as well.
Old 04-06-2009, 04:57 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I will throw in my vote for a kaos. Since you are an experienced flyer, the Tapered wing has a great feel about it. I have a .60 size and love it. It is my favorite sport plane. It flies slow, fast, very smooth and with style. It is essentially a Pattern plane. Just old school. If you like to build, check out www.bridiairplanes.com
Old 04-06-2009, 10:49 PM
jeffk464

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think I heard that the Ultra Sport is pretty much the same thing as the kaos but with a taller fuse. Anyways, people really seam to heap a lot of praise on the ultra sport.
Old 04-08-2009, 02:57 PM
skyraider71

I wouldn't call the SuperSportster "tame". It's actually fairly speedy. Mine came out a little heavy, so it likes
to be flown at med. to fast speeds.
You can't go wrong with the BigStick, it's the most versatile plane in my hanger. Great for relaxed sport flying,
and shooting touch and go's. It flys great on an old Irvine .40. Dual aileron servos allow flaperon use. It's a
perfect engine test bed, and an Ideal candidate for floats. I wish I bought it five years ago!
Old 04-08-2009, 03:14 PM
fadi

Skyraider, do you really use flaperons?
Old 04-09-2009, 12:37 PM
skyraider71

I've been experimenting with it.
Old 04-09-2009, 03:11 PM
fadi

I would like to know your feedback on flaperons for the Stick, I don't believe they are useful... but could be wrong
Old 04-12-2009, 07:12 PM
skyraider71

The flaperons allow slower landings. The Stick doesn't need them, but it's fun anyway.
The Stick will pitch down a little when flaperons are deployed, so mix in a little up elevator.
Old 04-14-2009, 07:43 AM
skyraider71

I've heard good things about the Pacific Knockabout.
Old 05-01-2009, 08:59 PM
antiquefer

For just puttin round and shooting the slowest landings, the Hobby7 Lobby funster is the way to go.
Old 05-01-2009, 09:00 PM
antiquefer

oops there is no 7 in Hobby Lobby.
Old 05-02-2009, 08:52 PM
planebuilder66
My Feedback: (8)

Do yourself a favor, before setteling on a plane, consider this, I've owned a throw around pulse xt 40 for about 2 years, it was 150 when I bought it, last weekend, I had a incident with a soccer goal post and clipped the right wing right off into pieces. I went to see what a replacement wing set costed so I could get in the air for the next weekend fast. To my suprise the plane cost 190 now and the wingset is 118.00, now is the time I would stop and think about replacement componets, if the plane is going to have a mishap, which one offers replacement parts that are reasonable and available, GP planes. The wingset for the super sportster is cheap and so is the fuse too, the escapade is decent, but requires a little bit of modifications to make it survive abuse. In my own oppinion, get a sportster and have fun, it's a great flying plane and the parts are affordable incase you doink it or in my case clip a goal post.
Old 06-21-2009, 06:50 PM
stikman63
My Feedback: (5)

Bla Bla Blaaaa!! Try a stick, Which stick?Ugly stick ,Big stick, Ultra stickany stick will do, pick your size and pick color. Stikman was here so shut up and FLY!!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx72608.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	1222141   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq50648.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	1222142   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp34618.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	136.0 KB
ID:	1222143  
Old 06-22-2009, 04:21 PM
Eganwp

I've been flying a Pulse XT 40 on my OS 55ax but lost it recently to a complete rx brownout. I didn't wish to spend the much higher price on this airframe again since our dollar dropped this spring (now its up again), so Ijumped on a Super Sportster 40 after much research among 15 planes.

For a casual Sunday flier I would go with the Pulse XT. It was amazing, but extremely easy to fly. Still very fast. 2nd to none for looks or covering. The dihedralmade it very easy but I didn't like the non axial rolls. Knife edged/inverted easily. Was a great plane.

I absolutely love this SS 40. Maidened it this weekend after a 3 evening build and all Ican say is wow... It's faster, more agile, etc than the Pulse. Both are extremely similar flying, but the SS is just more extreme. 6" less wing span and more sleek airframe help it out. Both are extremely easy to land and do basic IMAC with. My OS 55ax w/ 11x7 absolutely rips up the sky. Not only unlimited vertical, but it will accelerate vertically like crazy if you idle down and back up. Ihave a feeling Icould easily vertically hand launch either plane with this engine combo like Ido my electric 3D planes. I wouldn't classify the SS 40 as a "casual easy flier" however. While it is easy, if you're looking for true Sunday flier, I'd go with the Pulse.

Just my $.02!

I've flown a stick as well and like it, but just not a big fan of the looks. Ultra Sport/Kaos would likely be my #1 pick if only I could ever find one...
Old 06-23-2009, 06:35 AM
fadi

I am in love with my Sig Fourstar 40!
Old 06-24-2009, 10:34 AM
EscapeFlyer

I am in love with my Sig Fourstar 40!
Huh? [sm=50_50.gif]
Old 06-24-2009, 01:38 PM
fadi

ORIGINAL: Ilikebipes

I am in love with my Sig Fourstar 40!
Huh? [sm=50_50.gif]
I ended up buying that.... Built it to the truest I could ever build a model airplane, and it just feels so much better than my previously crashed Fourstar 40
Old 06-29-2009, 07:16 AM
wannabflyboy
My Feedback: (10)

I agree with Eganwp on the Pulse. I've put probably a couple hundred flights on my 60 Pulse and it's about as predictable as any. In fact I flew the covering right off of it and recently recovered it to look like a 40. With a Saito 100 I can fly it one click above idle or go vertical all day. The looks beat Ultra Sports and all the others mentioned above (at least in my opinion). If you like easy flying with no "pucker" unless you want it, I'd suggest a Pulse. They have gone up in price though so I'm sure that's a consideration. I guess mine will suffer the same fate most planes do sooner or later, but until that day comes I'm really having a blast with it.

Good luck.
Old 06-29-2009, 11:06 PM
WMB

I have been having a blast with my 4*40 lately. I finally figured out how to do a flat spin with it, too easy now. Knife edge spins easy also. Does a good knife edge with some pull to the gear. Or it will putt,putt sedately around the field with a beginner on the buddy box. Very versatile and forgiving. Landing is incredibly easy. Mine must have more than 1000 landings when including touch and goes.
My firewall develped a crack last time out, time for a little maintenance. I sometimes wonder how the others fly and maybe I am missing out on something.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:51 AM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

I liked fadi81's whole list, actually.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:30 PM
jeffk464

oops
Old 07-01-2009, 08:01 PM
rc airplane nut
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: buzzard bait

On the other hand, I just can't believe how much fun a buddy at our field has with his Kadet LT-40 ARF! Surprisingly aerobatic with a Fox 40BB, and it just looks so cool doing spins, forward slips, inverted fly bys, hammerheads, rolls, backward flying against a headwind, etc. The 40 will take it straight up. He's had more aerobatic types in the past, but really gets a kick out of this plane. Jim
I know a guy who put a .60 2-stroke in his and had tons of fun doing hovers and touch and goes on just the mains. And I know another guy who has some Kadet Seniors with four strokes and does all kinds of aerobaticks with them.
Old 12-29-2009, 10:58 PM
saintcreed
My Feedback: (205)

In your original post you mentioned all arf's...if you're into building one....you could try a old ACE 4-40...no surprises on take off's or landings.....only put in 1/2 or less of the diheral that it calls for and it will make it more areobatic..meaning the manuvers are crisper.....there is a thread here on rcu on the 4-40 that is a good read..also a good Sunday flier is as mentioned before here, the Balsa USA stingray 40......I have both kits if you're interested...
Old 12-29-2009, 11:36 PM
timcat26

I'd vote for the Escapade first and the Super Sportster second, simply because I own an Escapade and have owned a Super Sportster. Not knocking the others at all, I'm just familiar with these two. Either one should do great for you with a .46.