Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

BUSA Smoothie?

Community
Search
Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

BUSA Smoothie?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 11:18 AM
skyraider71

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default BUSA Smoothie?

I see that Balsa USA has re-released the Smoothie. It seems to be a very good looking
model, but I know nothing about it. How does it build/fly? When was it originally sold?
I'm always looking for cool vintage model to build.
Old 05-03-2009, 11:27 AM
planebuilder66
My Feedback: (8)

Default RE: BUSA Smoothie?

I bought one back in early 90's, very easy to build model, it does have a builtup cowl and you have to shape the wing tips, but it was all easy to do. Very fast flying plane, a regular sport 40-46 will make it a rocket. But it's pretty forgiving in flight, mine died a short time after being built do to flying too low to the ground and in a banked turn, the wind shoved it into the ground. I just bought another when they re-released the kit, it's now sold with built-up wire gear, unlike the picture shows of dural aluminum gear, but that can be changed with the gear plate to make it aluminum. Right now, I'm building a GP extra, but the next one is the smoothie on the table, I skimmed the book and it was a just like I remember it to be, except the gear and they now put pictures of the assembly in the manual, nice touch. The wood quality is excellent and so is the hardware too. If you want a nostalgic looking plane that not only looks fast but lives up to it's looks, get a smoothie, you won't regret it.
Old 05-03-2009, 02:08 PM
skyraider71

Is the engine mounted sideways, or inverted?
Old 05-03-2009, 02:53 PM
planebuilder66

Your choice, the manual covers the side mounted, but my original I had uesd a ST 40 ring with a tatone muffler that exited straight down with the engine inverted. Give me a minute and I'll find the pic's of it and scan them into the laptop, back then, digital cameras were not normal to see or have.
Old 05-03-2009, 04:13 PM
planebuilder66

Ya know, everytime I find the pictures of the smoothie I built back then, I say "oh, here they are!" and I make a note of where I stashed them, but everytime I need to get them to scan into the laptop, I can't find them, maybe my girl put them somewhere, when she get's home I'll ask where they went.
Old 05-03-2009, 04:44 PM
skyraider71

That's quite O.K. if you can't find the pics. Thanks for the info!
I think if I built it, I would use one of my AX .46s mounted sideways with a pitts
muffler. When you do get to building your Smoothie will you do a Thread?
Old 05-03-2009, 09:18 PM
planebuilder66

Yup, I'll be doing a thread on it, hopefully if enough people take intrest in the re-release, they will keep it in the line up, I'm copying the one in the picture on the web-site, orange with the checkers and the aluminum gear with wheel pants. That is the other thing I noticed, no wheel pants, but some sig pants are fine. It's cheap enough, at 80 buck, you can't complain. But currently I have a GP extra 40 on the board, I started that last friday and I'm left with one wing half and the fuse to finish, not too bad, moving right along on that one. I plan on powereing mine with a ST gs 40 ring and a tatone muffler I have laying around or I might just slap a header and a pipe on it and see how fast it will really go. The tatone setup will be inverted but the pipe would be side mount or maybe inverted with the pipe running down the left side under the wing. Kind makes the pipe in the way for wing removal but that's why they make silicone couplers and pipe tail clamps.
Old 05-07-2009, 05:01 PM
skyraider71

How is the .40 Extra going?
Old 05-08-2009, 07:56 AM
frenchie79

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is an old Smoothie i built, had it out last week. It flys great-fast-smooth. You will like it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xu62824.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	1194426  
Old 05-09-2009, 03:45 PM
skyraider71

Sweet! That is a nice looking ship.
Old 05-09-2009, 06:44 PM
hattend
My Feedback: (20)

Here is mine.

Fox .46 BB ABC. I had a problem with the wing and ailerons fluttering at speed with that engine. I put shear webs on both sides of the spars and also up against the rear sheeting and then I went with a servo on each aileron instead of using the torque rods. Every thing is fine now. Getting up over 90mph and it rolls 3 times a second (I have a lot of ailerons on high rate.) I also got rid of the chin in front and faired the front end into the wing better.

This is my 4th Smoothie in 20 years and I love the way it flies. I have 2 more still NIB for future needs. I have done very well with the Smoothie in "fly what'cha got" pylon races.

Don

Old 05-10-2009, 12:28 AM
planebuilder66

Frenchie79, your plane rack looks just like mine, naked wings and plane parts waiting covering and such forth. I love the teal/white job on that, but I think I'm going to go with the chinblock and inverted engine, just like the original had and the plans, I think it makes it look more powerful, like you gotta make a big scoop to cool the engine like a P-40.
Old 05-10-2009, 01:05 PM
jrf
My Feedback: (551)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's my Smoothy from the late 1980's. As I remember, it builds and flies like a cross between a Super Sportster and an Ultra Sport. Very nice airplane. I don't build anymore, but if they bring it out as an ARF, I will buy one.

Jim

Name:	Ro41745.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	1195654  
Old 05-10-2009, 04:35 PM
aerowoof

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just found one of these for sale in the rcu marketplace and after recieving it found it to have the aluminum gear .will be starting it shortly.
Old 05-10-2009, 07:09 PM
bayward

Has anyone taken receipt of one of the new BUSA kits yet ? Does the kit include the cowl and wheel pants ? There web site says the kit is die cut. How is the quality of the cutting ?

Bob
Old 05-10-2009, 07:14 PM
hattend

The cowl is a series of wood blocks. You make it either with or without a chin. The old kits did not include wheelpants. Not sure about the new ones but I imagine you have to buy aftermarket pants. The die cutting in the old kits I would rate better than, say, a Goldberg kit from the same era.

Don
Old 05-10-2009, 11:12 PM
planebuilder66

I haven't dug through the box too much but yes, you have to "build up" a cowl, not a big deal, it actually takes less time than fitting together an abs cowl, and no there are no wheel pants, plus the LG on the new ones are music wire that are prebent but you must bind and solder. But for 80 bucks, I'm not complaining.
Old 05-11-2009, 06:28 AM
bayward

I agree, for 80 bucks it is tough to beat. I suppose I could fit up an aftermarket aluminum landing gear to replace the music wire. Nothing wrong with music wire gear, I just think this plane would look better with bent aluminum gear.

How tough is it to stretch the covering around all those curves ? I have done a bit of iron on covering, but nothing with that many inside, outside and compound curves. Can the covering be stretched smoothly ? Or do you have to cut the covering to get it to conform to the curves ?

Bob
Old 05-11-2009, 08:00 AM
frenchie79

ORIGINAL: planebuilder66

Frenchie79, your plane rack looks just like mine, naked wings and plane parts waiting covering and such forth. I love the teal/white job on that, but I think I'm going to go with the chinblock and inverted engine, just like the original had and the plans, I think it makes it look more powerful, like you gotta make a big scoop to cool the engine like a P-40.
Here's some finished stuff in a room next to my shop, always have a few to finish.
Intresting story on my Smoothie-I went to an auction and purchased a box i thought was full of Balsa. Five bucks got it and when i got home found this old set of real blue prints rolled up and here it is a kit? so i built it from items purchased at the auction. Time period correct stuff less the landing gear. The motor is an OS FP40 which was used i believe on these. Very nice flyer and glad i built it.

Name:	Kh17728.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	1196190   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57283.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	1196191  
Old 05-11-2009, 04:15 PM
planebuilder66

Very nice frenchie, I will soon have a shop that organized, I just need to move the main water line in the basement so I can move the bench down the wall and set up shelves and a more usefull plane rack. Man I need to get this shop setup!
Old 05-11-2009, 07:12 PM
hattend

ORIGINAL: bayward

I agree, for 80 bucks it is tough to beat. I suppose I could fit up an aftermarket aluminum landing gear to replace the music wire. Nothing wrong with music wire gear, I just think this plane would look better with bent aluminum gear.

How tough is it to stretch the covering around all those curves ? I have done a bit of iron on covering, but nothing with that many inside, outside and compound curves. Can the covering be stretched smoothly ? Or do you have to cut the covering to get it to conform to the curves ?

Bob
If you have a hot air gun, you're all set. Tack down the edges on the last rib and then heat the covering and pull down over the wood. You'll be amazed at how monokote softens and follows a curve. It's helpful if you have a 3rd hand but you can hold it between your legs if necessary. It helps to have a heat resistant glove too.

There's a demo video somewhere on RCU. If I get time, I'll look for it.

You could always practice on scrap until you get the hang of it.

Don
Old 05-17-2009, 10:25 PM
Scratchie

How's the build going? I'm going to buy the new kit.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:28 AM
bayward

I could not take it any longer. You guys holding me down and twisting my arm like that. Iwent ahead and pushed the button.

Actually Ihad that brand newOS46AX sitting there in the box justworrying me half to death wondering what Iwas going to do with it. The engine sitting there coupledwith a bag full of brand new DS821 servosfrom an Ebay trade andIcould not resistthe temptations any longer.

Are the DS821's going to be okay with the Smoothie ?

Bob
Old 05-18-2009, 11:48 AM
hattend

If the DS821 is made for sport planes, it'll work fine.

If you're going to go fast (or think you will), I recommend a servo in each wing, halfway out... There's plenty of room, servos are cheapand it's much better than the torque rod setup.

Don
Old 05-18-2009, 02:38 PM
bayward

ORIGINAL: hattend

If the DS821 is made for sport planes, it'll work fine.

If you're going to go fast (or think you will), I recommend a servo in each wing, halfway out... There's plenty of room, servos are cheapand it's much better than the torque rod setup.

Don
Yes, the DS821, www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx, is made for sport planes. I got a bag full of them, around 16~ 18, do not remember, for under $10.00 each.

Thanks for the tip on two wing servos. I would have most likely followed the plans.

Bob

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.