Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

Moving up - plane suggestions

Community
Search
Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

Moving up - plane suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 07:07 PM
paully_321

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moving up - plane suggestions

I currently have a 4* 40 and a Tiger 60...I love them both, but I would like to get another ARF to fit my OS 55 AX that I have.

Any suggestions in that size range. I prefer sport flyers.

Old 05-25-2009, 09:46 PM
jeffk464

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Moving up - plane suggestions

How about a great planes venus. Great plane to learn aerobatics, pattern planes make you look like you can fly better than you actually can.
Old 05-26-2009, 09:31 AM
Deadeye

SIG Somethin' Extra!!!
Old 05-26-2009, 10:30 AM
EscapeFlyer
My Feedback: (1)

Sorry if this frustrates Deadeye, but the something extra doesn't offer much more than the Tiger 60. Don't get me wrong, it is a great flyer.

I second the Venus!
Old 05-27-2009, 08:56 AM
JPMacG
My Feedback: (2)

Ultra Sport?  Or Ultimate Bipe 40? (not an ARF)
Old 05-27-2009, 08:59 AM
bigedmustafa

The Venus 40 represents "the next step" up from the Four Star or CG Tiger.  It's more aerobatic and will perform knife edge maneuvers much more easily than a standard sport plane, while not being all that much more challenging to slow down and land easily.

The .55 AX just happens to be a terrific match for the Venus .40 ARF, as well.

The new World Models Spot On 50 would also be worth considering if there is something about the Venus 40's appearance you don't like:

Venus 40:  http://www.greatplanes.com/airplanes/gpma1025.html

Spot On 50:  http://ecsvr.com/abm/shopexd.asp?id=2418

Either plane is a terrific match for the .55 AX and will be great for sport flying even if you have no interest in learning to fly pattern.

Old 05-27-2009, 10:34 AM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check out the Extra-300 ARF from Great Planes. It makes a great sport flyer and would be a perfect match for that .55-AX.
Old 05-28-2009, 08:12 AM
PipeMajor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm still in the 2nd airplane phase (an Ultra Stick 40) and love flying it. I'm not that familiar with either of the other models mentioned on the thread but have you experienced a 4-stroke motor yet? I have a Saito .62 on my US40 and am gaining a rapid appreciation of the 4-stroke mania crowd.

You'll have to invest in a tack to needle the high speed (almost impossible to do it by ear) and once you have the low speed dialed in they'll idle down and stay there all day - until you blip the throttle and get an instant response from the engine. They offer much quieter operation and give vastly improved fuel economy - something you'll appreciate once you get into the larger sized engines. Additionally, they'll slime your model much less than a screamin' 2-stroke will.

Yes, they're more expensive initially but not actually heavier. I put a Saito 1.00 into an already assembled Sig 4*60 and had to ADD noseweight to what the previous owner had for his OS FX .61 2-stroker. The muffler is the primary difference.
Old 05-28-2009, 08:45 AM
paully_321

Thanks for the suggestions...I always wanted an Extra300 but I am worried about it being to hard to handle especially on landing.

Am leaning toward the Venus
Old 05-29-2009, 01:42 PM
bigedmustafa

I hate to say this since I originally suggested the Venus .40, but most Extra 300 ARFs are surprisingly stable and not overly challenging to land.  They're a great first scale model and not a bad choice for a 3rd plane so long as you start out with gentle control throws and you keep the CG toward the nose. 

They tend to track fairly well and they usually don't display any bad habits while flying.  Once you get comfortable with the plane, you can increase the throws a bit and move the CG back little by little if you want to aerobatically wring out the plane.

So many planes to choose from...

Old 05-29-2009, 06:36 PM
kwhite.6

The Venus 40 is discontinued at Tower.
Old 05-31-2009, 09:18 AM
WMB

I like the looks of the new GP 300 Extra also. If you don't think you are quite up to it, modify the 4 Star by moving the CG back and adding more throw to the control surfaces. You can get the 4 Star to do some wild, out of the ordinary sport manuevers. I love my 55AX, great engine.
Old 06-02-2009, 10:46 AM
bigedmustafa

ORIGINAL: kwhite.6

The Venus 40 is discontinued at Tower.
That's a really odd choice for a plane to be discontinued. I don't know of too many other .40-size pattern planes on the market. I can't believe that Great Planes hasn't been selling the Venus .40 on a pretty regular basis.

Another good choice available from Tower Hobbies would be the Phoenix Models SeaBee ARF:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXGTS5&P=ML

It's a terrific flying airframe that is far more aerobatically capable than your typical sport plane. It's also a bargain at $109.99. If you installed a .55 AX under the cowl of the Phoenix SeaBee, the performance would be amazing. I've flown SeaBees with a .46 FX and a .52 RFS, and the performance was terrific. With a .55 AX, the SeaBee would be rocket-like.

Old 06-02-2009, 12:15 PM
bigdanusa

Piper Cub

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXLWH2&P=0
Old 06-09-2009, 01:59 PM
Eganwp

I'd say Pulse XT but just because Ilove mine so much on my OS 55ax! It would fly very similar to your 4*and Tiger. If you're wishing to advance your flying skills though,I'd honestly go with a 3D plane, but an OS 55 will limit your options slightly. Iwent from trainer to a 3D Acromaster electric plane. I can not recommend a 3Dplane more highly. After learning the ropes on 3d and hucking the plane around, you'll be able to pick up nearly ANYplane and fly it with ease as stick control is something you could sleep through. A simulator & 3D plane will make you the best flier you can be. From there I'd worry about precision aerobatics/IMAC/scale flying, etc. Will help you get out of sticky situations as well and save your planes.

Ialmost went for the Venus 40 when Iwas looking for a plane, but didn't overly like it's looks or characteristics on the sim. Went for the Pulse instead. If it were me and wanting to stick to a sport plane, I'd honestly be looking into an Ultra Sport. Best flying sports plane I've flown on the sim and would likely be rated #1 sport flyer among the folk here.

Good luck with your decision! That OS 55 is an amazing engine for any 40-50 sized airframe!
Old 06-09-2009, 04:08 PM
paully_321

I went with the GP Extra 300 (it arrived today). I neglected to say I already have a Pulse XT 60 that I am putting a OS 91 4 stroke in (that arrived today too). But I think the Pulse will be really similar to the Tiger/4* that's why I don't count it.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64707.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	1215297   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt61191.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	1215298  
Old 06-15-2009, 07:25 PM
Eganwp

Had a little mishap on the weekend and lost all radio contact with my Pulse XT 40 on my DX6i. Still trying to troubleshoot the issue... Several people watched it with me spiral into the ground with me having 0 control of the servos.

I had about 30 flights on it and wow was it a rocket! Liked it, but I was starting to get just slightly bored with it as doesn't do a whole lot other than typical sport manouvers and high speed dives/passes. I'm guessing easily 100mph on that 11x7 in aslight dive.Now I too am thinking about getting this GP Extra 300SP for the OS 55ax... I haven't heard many good things from GP's 3D lineup, but maybe this new extra is descent? How is yours flying?! OS 55 enough power on it for 3d? Whats the all up weight?

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely loved my pulse xt and the looks/flight characteristics. Just looking for something a bit more challenging! May still get the Pulse again as a replacement as I really miss it and can't seem to find anything very appealing for the OS 55. Debating between GP Extra 300sp, Showtime 50 or replacing it with the Pulse XT again after loads of redundant research... A Sundowner 50 or GPRevolver might also be fun, but Ihave no idea how poorly these might be to land with the high wing loading, nor if they're much faster airframes on my OS 55ax.

Eganwp
Old 06-15-2009, 09:30 PM
mkharte

Love your idea for airplane storage.
Mike
Old 06-16-2009, 04:58 PM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

If I had a 55AX needing a home and I was in the market right now for a new airplane.......................I think I might need to buy the new Hangar 9 RV-8.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz76766.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	1219460   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni23564.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	14.6 KB
ID:	1219461   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg93102.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	13.0 KB
ID:	1219462   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ke91857.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	19.4 KB
ID:	1219463   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zl70134.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	1219464   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qh64930.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	1219465   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xz53184.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	1219466  
Old 06-18-2009, 11:32 AM
Eganwp

Ended up picking up a new GPSuper Sportster 40 ARF Mk II because it was $160 (1/2 the price of the pulse xt!). Yea it doesn't look quite as good (the old school style is growing on me though), and I now realize I've been spoiled by Ultracote now havingto shrinkmonokote again. Monokote sucks compared to Ultracote! But for the price I can go through 2 of these airframes for 1 pulse. Also it's a bit smaller than my pulse which is ideal for speed. Read from a few posts I've found that at certain clubs these are the fastest flying planes around. Only thing faster in general were the Q500's.

With my OS 55ax, I'm hoping to easy break 100mph which should be pretty attainable. Gonna be a hoot! 3/4 done the build the past 2 nights as I need it flying for this weekend!

Eganwp

Old 06-18-2009, 01:28 PM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Egan ... the Super Sportster is a lovely plane to fly. She handles well. I doubt she will breach 100 mph, the 55AX is not a screamer and the SS is not all that sleek.
Old 06-22-2009, 11:59 AM
Eganwp

Wow, maidened my new SS 40 this weekend! What a blast. I actually love this airframe more than my Pulse XT 40!!!! I prefer the looks of the Pulse but this SS does have a more traditional sport plane look to it. SS is more my style of flying, more aggressive, more agile, etc. Knife edges for some reason just sound awesome on this airframe.I dont think I'd recommend this airframe as a 2nd plane for a lot of people (though I went to a 3D bird for my 2nd), as the Pulse is easier to fly, but for a 3rd, most definately!

The OS 55ax tore this bird through the sky! Was still running the 11x7 but WOW. Ican't believe how agile she is and fast it is. Easy unlimited vertical. With the 10x8 or 10x9 @ 14,000 Ihave 0 doubts it'll break 100mph. So much fun! You can land this bird hot or slow. I tried stalling it up high and had it near walking speed, full up elevator and it didnt even drop a wing. Just keeps slowly elevatoring down.

Cheers!
Eganwp
Old 06-27-2009, 11:30 PM
skyraider71

I have both Somethin' Extra and SuperSportster .40. Both are great flyers, and either
one would be a great "step up" for you. Do you want to go fast and smooth? Or do you
want a plane you can flog around the sky with reckless abandon, yet still land like a trainer?
The choice is yours.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:56 AM
bigedmustafa

I wish Ace Hobby hadn't discontinued the Cloud Dancer .40 and Cloud Dancer .60 ARFs. That was a gorgeous classic sport plane that gave up nothing with regard to looks. It was also covered in Ultracote.