Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

Great weekend

Community
Search
Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

Great weekend

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 09:27 AM
jetmech05

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great weekend

I'd like to relate to you the great weekend I had.....and I only flew for about 3 minutes!
My daughter has gone with me to field since she was 7....she started her training at 8 and solo'd.......not a week or so after she solo'd there was a mix up with the freq.....she had the pin but my old instructor had a student up with out the pin....she turned on her transmitter to check something, and the yelling began to shut it off, shut it off.....she did shut down in time to save the students airplane......
anyway everyone I mean everyone told her that she did nothing wrong...even my old instructor talked to her...but her confidence was shaken......she would still fly but wouldn't take off or land....she flew the pattern beautifully....
This has gone on for the last 5 years......flying every once in a while.....for her 13th birthday she got a Sky Raider Mach II, she started showing more and more intrest in taking off and landing.....She said you fly the maiden, trim it out and I'll fly it....her first takeoff, she let the airplane fly her...stalled it and it was a write off.......I got ahold of an old LT-40, she started taking off....but got a set of dumb thumbs while inverted and almost saved the LT-40...but......
A very good friend of ours, heard about her B-day present and sent her another Sky Raider Mach II....I told her I'd help her but I wouldn't build it for her....We worked on the plane and now we're ready to maiden....beautiful flight.....but she just wouldn't take off or land and still flew every once in a while...
All of sudden she starts to fly again with me, while she was on the buddy box.....Until this last weekend.....
She informs me that there is no reason why she shouldn't be on her own...but Dad please stand out there with me...I was happy to do so.....talked her through her first landing and wham...she is off and running....she flew 4 or 5 flights Sat. Sun she is flying without anyone standing next to her, greasin them in to boot......ever see a grin that would crack a face? man she had it.....smilling from ear to ear.......At 14 there is no stopping her now...she even told me she loves landings
All the folks back in the pits were telling her what great landings she was shooting.......
I think her goal is to compete in a beginners competition.....
As her dad I'd like to thank the members of both Jacksonville clubs and the Fredericksburg Aeromasters, for supporting her, and People like Casey Rowe, Keven Wilson, for the extra motovation
What a great hobby we are in......
Old 07-20-2009, 09:42 AM
dignlivn

Default RE: Great weekend

You are one Rich Man !

Your right, it was a Great weekend for flying.

Bob

Semper Fi
Old 07-20-2009, 09:54 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That's gotta make you feel good! I remember meeting you guys at Monster Planes and I can just picture the smiles on BOTH of your faces!
Old 07-20-2009, 10:04 AM
ggraham500
My Feedback: (4)

Hey Doug,

This is Gary Graham in Fredericksburg. Are you talking about Ashley? GREAT NEWS! I'd love to see some video of her flying. I remember you and your Ultimate bipe ... etc.
Old 07-20-2009, 12:19 PM
jetmech05

Hey Gary yes sir I am talking about Ashley...Minn thanx for remembering us....Man I am tellin ya I had a ball watching her become a pilot just like that.....It was what I've been hoping for.....
Old 07-20-2009, 02:31 PM
TakingFlight96

That is a great story ! That story is very similar to mine, I'm 13 right now, and have already soloed and started working with 3D/Aerobatics, though. You wait til the addiction kicks in, she'll want to be out there everyday like me ! Its so awesome all the praise she recieved, at first I didn't get to many nice things said to me. Now, all the haters know that this girl can fly, and fly good Show your daughter these posts and give her a thumbs up from me [sm=thumbup.gif] Good luck !!!

TF96
Old 07-26-2009, 03:01 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 350 Likes on 280 Posts

She was doing great today too. Good to see you guys back out this weekend.

Here she is fishing daddy's airplane out of the drink
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mj24714.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	605.4 KB
ID:	1243974   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up47060.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	550.6 KB
ID:	1243975   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty65939.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	586.2 KB
ID:	1243976   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74098.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	525.7 KB
ID:	1243977  
Old 07-26-2009, 07:48 PM
bayward

ORIGINAL: BarracudaHockey
Here she is fishing daddy's airplane out of the drink
Now, this raises another question. What was daddy's airplane doing in the drink ????

Bob
Old 07-27-2009, 08:10 AM
jetmech05

uncontrollable roll to the right with power off...ok with power on.....found the receiver board full of surface corrosion
Old 07-27-2009, 11:44 AM
rc-sport
My Feedback: (12)

This past saturday 2 of my grandchildren came to visit me at the field, both are really fasinated by the planes. Next year I'll start getting the little guy on the sticks.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71878.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	124.2 KB
ID:	1244532   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu64864.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	127.0 KB
ID:	1244533   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg92580.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	122.9 KB
ID:	1244534  
Old 08-11-2009, 10:27 AM
HampdenTech

That's great to hear! I have an 11 year-old who's yet to fully take an interest but I'm still hopeful. He has 2 younger brothers, one is 4-1/2 and the other is just 4 months old so I have other opportunities. (yes, I know, way to space out those kids...I'll be doing this father thing for a LONG time!).

Old 08-11-2009, 01:57 PM
timcat26

My 13 year old daughter has been flying with me too, although she's not checked out to solo yet. She can do all the test maneuvers with our Alpha 40 Trainer and brings it in for final just fine, she just hasn't actually landed or taken off solo yet. I actually began doing this a couple of years ago as something we could do together after finding the field/club 2 miles from my house. It's worked out very well although getting instructor time has been a challenge for both the Instructors and my daughter. It is a great way to spend some Daddy/Daughter time together as I don't have much of a background or knowledge to join her in her other interests.