Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

Re-configured PT-40

Community
Search
Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

Re-configured PT-40

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 01:56 PM
clpahodges
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re-configured PT-40

A few weeks ago, I acquired an old Great Planes PT-40 trainer from a friend of mine. The airplane had not been flown in many years. It had no engine on it but did have a complete, although old, Futaba Attack 4 channel AM radio and servos.

I decided to put it back in the air after some slight modifications. I ditched the old transmitter and receiver (not even sure if it is legal to use these any longer). I stripped all of the old covering off, cut all the control surfaces off and took out all the old control system.

I then carefully cut the wing half at the center and then put it back together with half of the dihedral it originally had. I cut the ailerons down to 13" long and increased the width by 3/8". I then made a set of flaps the same width as the ailerons. I also made a new elevator and rudder mainly because the old ones were made of some of the hardest balsa I have ever seen. I got rid of the old wire main landing gear and replaced them with aluminum gear. Next chore was to rebuild the center section so that the wing would bolt on instead of being rubber banded on.

After making all these changes, I recovered the plane with Ultra Coat. I then installed a new receiver, servos and control system and mounted a new Tower 46 on the front along with a new fuel tank.

Ran the engine for the first time today. I have never had a Tower engine before, but so far it seems to be a good engine. At least, the break-in process went good and it idles nicely.

I plan on flying it later this week. If it flys OK, I am going to keep it around just to have something available when someone wants to give RC a try or on those days when I just want to do some lazy flying.

Bill Hodges
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo41398.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	1271179   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw73379.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	240.5 KB
ID:	1271180  
Old 10-14-2009, 06:30 PM
Broken Wings
My Feedback: (20)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Re-configured PT-40

It looks Great Bill!

I've been thinking about building a trainer for the same reasons.