Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

Flying wire connectors

Community
Search
Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

Flying wire connectors

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 09:41 PM
sonnytex

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flying wire connectors

Greetings bi-wing Gurus,

I have acquired my first biplane (Ultimate 60) and flown it a couple of times. Great Plane! My question is, does anyone know of a better way of attaching the wing flying wires other than a metal cleavis? I find this type of connector very inconvient because of their strong spring tension (which is probably the reason they were used on this plane). Will the nylon cleavis be strong enough to secure these wires? Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-27-2009, 12:13 PM
SoCalSal
My Feedback: (16)

Default RE: Flying wire connectors

ORIGINAL: sonnytex

Greetings bi-wing Gurus,

I have acquired my first biplane (Ultimate 60) and flown it a couple of times. Great Plane! My question is, does anyone know of a better way of attaching the wing flying wires other than a metal cleavis? I find this type of connector very inconvient because of their strong spring tension (which is probably the reason they were used on this plane). Will the nylon cleavis be strong enough to secure these wires? Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.
Hi, my suggestion is don't use nylon as it would wear quickly and fail in flight at the wrong time. If you plane requires these wires to help hold on the wings then either use what came with it or you can use cable and turnbuckles. Cable and swage fittings can be found at Proctor Enterprizes or Balsa USA depending on the size you need. I have built and rigged many many bi-planes. I prefer cable & turnbuckles as all wire will streach to some point for a whaile after new. Turnbuckles allow you to re-adjust the tension as needed.
I know rigging a bi-plane is some what of a pain when you get to the field..................but take your time and do it right!!! the option if you fail could be a plane that flies like crap or one that only flies once.

P.S you can also use fishing leader as cable. Just make sure you get the right size ( poundage rating) for your applacation I have used the plastic coated steel from 10 strand brand but really any of the plastic coated steel cable will work and usually it is a bit less costly than the other suppliers. My self I prefere the very very flexiable steel cable that Balsa USA has to offer. It comes in two sizes and they also have the swage fittings to go with the cable. It is very very good stuff. Use the smaller size on a .60 size or go to Proctor for other sizes in your power range.

If you are unsure of how to rig a bi-plane ( correct order) just let me know and I will send you the best way to do it. There are certain steps you want to use so that you don't rig in warps to your wings.
Old 11-27-2009, 12:46 PM
sonnytex

Default RE: Flying wire connectors

SoCalSal,

Thank you for your information. I will abide by your experience and continue to use the metal cleavis. I guess I was just being lazy in trying to make shortcuts. But then again, isn't that what we all look for, a better, faster way to do something? Just goes to show you that tried and true way are best.

Thanks,
Sonnytex