Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

Escapade w FL-70, what prop?

Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

Escapade w FL-70, what prop?

Old 05-25-2010, 09:30 PM
gchdavid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Escapade w FL-70, what prop?

Hello guys,

First off, I know about the known issues/complaints about the FL-70. So far, mine hasn't given me any issues so as long as it keeps running, I will keep using it so lets keep the bashing of the particular engine out of this thread

I just finished a GP Escapade and I swapped my FL-70 into it from a H9 Cherokee that gave its last breath last week. The engine is broken in, idles acceptably and is pretty reliable. In the Cherokee, I had started out with a MA K-series 12X8" originally but with that prop it would sometimes backfire, to my knowledge that is common of overloaded 4 strokes, probably more noticeable here because its a non-ringed engine and the compression hits hard (I will attest that this was when first starting to tune this engine right after break-in and that is was my first 4 stroke). I then went to a Zinger 12X7 and it was great but it seemed slow for my taste so I changed it to an APC 11X8" and that is what I was running until now. The Cherokee was a heavy model so I didn't expect or want much vertical and the 11x8 gave it good speed. Now with the Escapade, I would still like speed but also vertical and the 11X8 is just falling short.

Should I try a 12X7 again but APC this time?

Go back a 12X8? Different brand?

What have you guys used?

I'm afraid if I go too big like a 13x6 it will have all the vertical in the world but fall on its face speed wise.

Thanks in advance.

Chris

Read more: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_97...#ixzz0ozzF2Ogt
Old 05-25-2010, 11:44 PM
oldvet70
My Feedback: (10)

Default RE: Escapade w FL-70, what prop?

APC 13x7 will be fine.
Old 05-26-2010, 02:01 AM
faulknej
My Feedback: (9)

How is the balance with the .70 on the Escapade? Seems like it would take a lot of tail weight to get it right.
Old 05-26-2010, 04:52 AM
p100d

We had a Magnum .72RFS with 13x6 on one and it did take a lot of tail weight. Also made it seem heavy in the air and on landing. Went back to a Magnum .52RFS with 11x7 and the plane is much nicer to fly now. Also the speed wasn't decreased by much if any. Much lighter in the air lands better and no weight needed now.
Old 05-26-2010, 08:20 AM
gchdavid

Well actually the FL-70 is much lighter than the FS-70, Saito or Magnum 72. It is about as heavy as the OS FS-52. The plane actually balanced 1/4" in front of the recommended CG point without any tail weight. I did the maiden like that and will now add some tail weight, I would be surprised if I have to add more than an ounce or two. IMO it was spot on. This is the engine that is shown in the manual, probably because it is the lightest .70 4stroke you can buy.

So far, I am happy with the exception of the prop. Any other suggestions regarding that?

Thanks for the input.

Chris
Old 05-26-2010, 08:31 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I like a Graupner 12x7
Old 05-26-2010, 03:38 PM
p100d

I have been sticking with the Zinger or the Xoar wood props. I find them to be much more efficient than the nylon props. Although I haven't tried any Graupner's . I have tried many on many motors of both types and just find the wood to pull and preform a lot better.
Old 05-27-2010, 03:51 PM
gchdavid

I am heading to the LHS to buy a 13X6 as well as a 12X7 or 12X8 (depending on what they have, 12x8 if they don't have a 12x7) so I can test them out this weekend.

If any of you thinks I should try some other one or not try one of these for whatever reason let me know!

Thanks!

Chris
Old 05-30-2010, 03:32 AM
gchdavid

Today I tried both 12X8 and 13X6 props. I have to say the 13x6 flew the plane with much more authority and that although I am pretty sure it hurts top speed, it makes up for it with vertical.

Today was really windy so its hard to determine what the top speed with each one was. As of now, 13X6 wins for me.

Chris
Old 05-30-2010, 09:19 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Haven't tried a FL-70. I run a 13 x 8 on my Contender 60 with an FS-70 II (wish I'd bought a couple more now). Plenty pf pep and a good performer.