Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

Need help with Plane suggestions

Community
Search
Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

Need help with Plane suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 06:11 AM
phakur
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with Plane suggestions

Hi All-

I consider myself a novice kind of moving to intermediate pilot. I have graduated from a full blown trainer and typically fly either a ultra stick 40 or a pulse xt 60. Planes not too challenging but I can do much much more than with a trainer-ie loops, rolls, use of flaps, etc.

I really want to move into a 120 size plane and just don't know what direction to take. BTW-ARF is a must due to me still building my 60 size warbird kit-it will take at least 6-9 more months and I don't want to get into another kit. I hope by the time I have it done I will be a much better pilot.

I have looked at the pulse 120 but have read the forums and determined there is a build issue regarding the elevator. I have read the fixes but just don't feel right having to tear off covering and redo H9 errors. I've heard a new tail design is coming-but who knows when.

I have also looked at the Spacewalker II, but Minnflyer says they are a handful on the ground, especially on a hard surface. My club has an asphalt runway-so I am concerned about that, especially since I have never done great with taxi-ing. Not something the sims do well.

Anyway. I was hoping someone would have some suggestions-but note:

I am really interested in a plane that looks like a plane-I love the ultra stick, but it is kinda ugly (grin). Something with a cowling anyway. No interest in a 4*.

I don't think I am ready for a big warbird, although I would love to do that but I am concerned about my abilities with that.

So-what do you think-Pulse and fix it, Spacewalker II and try to learn to taxi better, or something else??

Larry

Old 07-29-2010, 07:29 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Need help with Plane suggestions

How about a GP Super Skybolt? It's a plane that is capable of advanced maneuvers, but you don't HAVE to fly it in an advanced manner. If you can handle a Stik, you can handle it. It's much more stable that a Pitts or Ultimate.

And when you ARE ready to try the more advanced stuff, this plane will do it!
Old 07-29-2010, 08:21 AM
dignlivn

How about the large Revolver ?

Bob
Old 07-29-2010, 01:05 PM
Eganwp
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: dignlivn

How about the large Revolver ?

Bob
Agreed! This plane deserves an award of excellence.
Old 07-29-2010, 04:25 PM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

I actually thought of the Giant Super Sportster based on phakur's description:

http://downloads.hobbico.com/sellshe...-sellsheet.pdf

http://video1.hobbico.com/gallery/gp...044-deluxe.mpg

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXLYC5&P=ML
Old 08-03-2010, 04:33 PM
maukaonyx

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to have to disagree with the larger Revolver suggestion. A really good flyer in my club has the darnedest time landing that plane EVERY time he flies it. It just won't slow down. Everytime he gets it down safe, there is a huge sigh of relief by him and all of us guys watching him! He has torn the LG off a couple times already. I just don't want a newer pilot thinking this is an easy plane in every way. It's ok if you have a real long runway, as in over 400' to touch down and roll out...and that is talking about grass. Hope I am not ruffling any feathers. Just another 2 cents! Jon
Old 08-03-2010, 06:17 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

maukaonyx, I'm willing to bet that your friend's Revolver is nose heavy.

That sounds like a text book case of how a nose heavy plane lands
Old 08-03-2010, 06:26 PM
phakur

Hey I agree-My 60 size pulse did exactly the same thing and I thought I had it balanced-A more experienced flyer watched me barely land and suggested we check the balance. Added about 2 oz of weight to the tailand the plane just floated inanywayWhat does everyone think of the Rascal 110 by SigI heard it is a fun plane.
Old 08-03-2010, 07:12 PM
maukaonyx

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

maukaonyx, I'm willing to bet that your friend's Revolver is nose heavy.

That sounds like a text book case of how a nose heavy plane lands

Know what? He says it is balanced, but I will suggest we look at his balance again both on the ground and in the air, and see how it goes from there.

Back to the subject...wouldn't a Rascal be just a little further along than your high wing trainer? It IS a good plane and can be hot if powered enough...another friend in my club has one and it flies nice. If you really want to go that route, the Toledo Special also is very good at high wing aerobatics...I have one with a Saito 82.

How about a simple Escapade. FLies well and is inexpensive, basically a good low wing trainer and all around sport plane. Jon
Old 08-03-2010, 07:28 PM
phakur

I really want to try a 120 size plane if at all possible- I have a saito 150 someone gave to me and I'd really like to try a big plane
Old 09-03-2011, 06:59 AM
charlie1960

four star
telemaster
pulse

to name a few that are that big.

the Funtana CAN be a great sport flyer if set up correctly.
Old 09-11-2011, 04:29 PM
jrf
My Feedback: (551)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Any of the "30cc" YakCapEdgeExtraSuchois would fly very well on a Saito 150. How aerobatic they are depends 100% on the throws you set up. With normal (non-3D) throws, they are very smooth and forgiving to fly.

Jim
Old 09-15-2011, 07:32 AM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
A "spacewalker" will be fine! Easy to start from any surface as long as you set it up properly (Toe in and chamber).
But it's not that good if you want to progress in your flying,it's too easy to fly!
A much better way of becomming a more profient R/C pilot is to go with a Q-500 plane! Those planes are fast, manuverable and easy to fly and they are easy to build and to repair.
From left: "Grand Chelem" from Top-Models, China -Clipper (sonic 500) from modelcraft and original "Q-500" built from plans in Model Avation around 1975.

Power those with a good engine like a Kyosho GX.40 (ASP .40II) or Thunder Tiger .40 SE and Using 9x6,9x7 or 10x6 RAM or APC props gives you speeds around 180km/h.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf97561.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	1662609   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy79592.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	1662610   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg92253.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	87.6 KB