Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

New planes and engine combos?

Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

New planes and engine combos?

Old 09-01-2010, 06:36 PM
thebest_102
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New planes and engine combos?

This will be my first post to this forum. So first off thank you to all that have contributed.I found the beginers section a great help over the last 2 years. I have flown the covering off my trainer and am going to pass it on to a neighbor who has expressed an interrest in flying. The reason for the timing of this is that Iam moving from Hawaii to Marland in a couple weeks. Now I have been looking around and have found 2 planes that I am interrested in. Ihave been solo for about 1 monthes and am progressing through aerobatics. I can fly a plane well enough to not get into trouble bad and can recover decently from situations. Ican land decently (way more gentle than before ie not getting prop strikes from nose hard landingsd or not dropping to the ground from early flares into a stall at 2 feet from the ground. I have been flying a great planes escapade for a year now untill it needed to be moved with my household stuff. The 2 planes are a Pulse XT 60. I plan on putting a OS 61 fx in it. (Would this be a good motor for it? Isuspect it would fly it wonderfully ashanger 9 says to use their EVO 61 an equivilant power plant?) The second is a Great planes Cherokee. I have a os40la motor that I was thinking of using but suspect it may be a bit too weak. I also have a OS 55 AX that I was going to put in a Hanger 9 F-22 PTS. If I put the 55 AXin thecherokeeImay look for another to replace it for the F-22. After research I think these planes will be great choices. Iwould much rather spend the 150 dollars on another 55 than crash the cherokee due to being a shade under powered. My new club field will be a grass set up soa little more power maybe the way to go.Thank you.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:20 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: New planes and engine combos?

The Pulse XT w/ an OS 61 would be an excellent choice - Ditto on the Cherokee w/ the OS 55. I think the 40la will not be enough power for it. And I have flown the F22 with an OS 55 and it was a good combo.
Old 09-02-2010, 09:20 AM
landeck
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a H9 Pulse XT 60 with an OS .61 FX in it and it flies great. It is a fun combination. I also have two GP Cherokees, one with an OS .46 AX and one with an OS .55 AX. They both fly great but the OS .55 AX does over power it. I perfer the one with the .46 as that is more than enough power. It is fun plane to do landings with flaps. I also have the GP Escapade with a Magnum .46 XLS in it. It is my current favorite plane and I have been flying it for 1.5 years.

Bruce
Old 09-02-2010, 05:48 PM
thebest_102
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow wierd that some on has all the plane in engine combos that I am aiming to use. I thought well each combo would have one person. You seem to have all the combos. I may look at trying to get the 46 ax for the GPcherokee. Imay look for another model for the 40 la any thoughts? Ialso have a tower hobbies 46 but man that thing seems to have some serious issues. I first thought it was me not setting it up correctly so I took it out to the field and had some freinds look at it. They tried tuning it and could not get it to richen. So I changed the fuel cell and all the lines thinking with advice that it has an air leak. It still had the same problem once again verified by others and not just me. I then replaced the carb and the remote needle. All new set up new o rings and the like. Ran it up again and same issue. So I shipped it and all the extra parts I now have for it. I am hoping that at my new field there will be a 2 stroke savant if you will maybe an engine whisperer. Someone to help get this troublesome contraption reigned in. I suspect that this engine if it is dependable will fly the cherokee but I dang sure don't trust it to drop it in a model and fly it. Maybe the fact Igrounded the engine for a year will teach it to not behave lol.