RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Sport Flying (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/sport-flying-373/)
-   -   Great Planes P-51 Mustang Sport Scale (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/sport-flying-373/10330458-great-planes-p-51-mustang-sport-scale.html)

tailskid 02-12-2011 09:05 AM

Great Planes P-51 Mustang Sport Scale

What do you guys think of this plane....it looks like a sport type plane with out a lot of scale details....maybe a new 'knockaround' plane?

fireman7875 02-17-2011 06:07 PM

RE: Great Planes P-51 Mustang Sport Scale

Your assessment is basically correct. It is a sport plane dressed like a P51. Has enough scale realism to tell what it is but not enough to make it a "warbird". I had one a couple of years ago with an OS 61FX. It flew great.

Brian

DavidAgar 02-17-2011 07:39 PM

They are great planes. They use the Ultra Sport wing design and they are a good flying plane. Looks like a Mustang from a distance, but not alot of detail as it comes out of the box. You can't miss. Good Luck, Dave

landeck 02-18-2011 12:14 PM

I built one about 20 years ago when they first came out and still have it in flying shape today. I enjoyed the build and it is a great flying plane. It flys like my Ultra Sport 40. They have the same wing design.

Bruce

tailskid 02-21-2011 03:43 PM

I think a 40 2C on her...nah, how about an OS 46AX?

landeck 02-22-2011 03:26 AM

I have an OS .46 SF in mine and it flies it great.

Bruce

tailskid 03-02-2011 03:43 PM

Just about done with mine....terrible covering - keep wrinkling and when heated just makes a big bubble of hot air....it takes many pin *****s to get all the air out. Plane balanced right on the money w/ OS.46AX! Hope to test fly this weekend.

tailskid 03-05-2011 09:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Two successful test flights on the 'Tang today....used both high and low rates - and low rates are just fine :) A bit rough on take-off until you get the tail wheel off (it is very touchy). Very stable flying bird!

drypipe 03-30-2011 07:29 PM

Besides scale looks, I know that the Hangar 9 P-51 Mustang 40 Sport is designed to fly somewhat like a "sport" airplane but does it have more "warbird" qualities, if any, from the Great Planes Sport Mustang or are the two Mustangs basically the same ?
Do they both share that Mustang look from the outside but are just a sport airplane on the inside ?

tailskid 03-30-2011 07:35 PM

The H9 is a bit more scale (especially the nose area) than the GP as you can see from the two pictures above.

drypipe 03-30-2011 08:08 PM

Besides the scale looks, I'm wondering if the H9 40 Mustang handles more like a "warbird" or has that "warbird" feel from the GP 40 Mustang? Or is the H9 40 Mustang another sport airplane in the P-51 disguise like that of the GP model?

tailskid 03-30-2011 09:20 PM

I personally feel the H9 flys like a Mustang should, but perhaps it is the fact that the gear is up and I can push 104 MPH with it. It handles some maneuvers like a sport model (like spins) and on low rates can do some excellent victory rolls (very warbird like). The GP 'Tang on the other hand, has a smaller engine, and flies rock solid also - but watch spins - mine will take 2-3 full rotations to stop spinning - very full scale like!

Perhaps it is in the hands of the pilot, but the pluses of the H9 outscore the GP by a little in the flying department. In static both are stand - off or WAY-OFF if you are a scale fan.

Landings go to the H9 due to slower smooth landing attributes (flaps while not needed, are the way to go!).

drypipe 03-31-2011 02:33 PM

Thank you Tailskid. That's the info I was looking for. I'm getting the H9 Mustang!

ferminqr 02-23-2012 06:49 AM

<span lang="en" id="result_box"><span class="hps">hello</span><span>, I will buy</span> <span class="hps">this plane</span><span>, I</span> <span class="hps">would like to know</span> <span class="hps">if it really</span> <span class="hps">flies well</span> <span class="hps">with a</span> <span class="hps">.46</span> <span class="hps">or need a</span> <span class="hps">bigger engine</span><span>?

Thank.

Fermin Quezada

Dominican Republic.
</span></span>

hobbychina2010 03-16-2012 01:51 AM

P51 Mustang sport Scale is 46 Nitro plane,use the OS 46 engine.
I have one P51 Mustang 60 Nitro plane,if you need 60 class Nitro P51,
I sell P51 Mustang 60.
Wing span: 65.5in / 1664mm                                                         Wing area: 745 sq in / 48.1 sq dm
Flying weight: 7.8lb / 3540g                                                             Fuselage length: 55.8 / 1420 mm
Engine Required: 2c 0.61-0.75 cu in 4c 0.91 cu in                    Radio Required: 5 channels,6 servo

ferminqr 05-01-2012 06:45 AM

Hello tailskid

<span id="result_box" lang="en"><span class="hps">I wonder if</span> <span class="hps">not</span> <span class="hps">given you</span> <span class="hps">any</span> <span class="hps">problems</span> <span class="hps">with the engine</span> <span class="hps">reversed</span><span>, I have an</span> <span class="hps">asp</span><span>.</span> <span class="hps">S52aII</span> <span class="hps">mounted</span> <span class="hps">on mine</span> <span class="hps">and after the first</span> <span class="hps">flight</span> <span class="hps">to</span> <span class="hps">the air</span><span>, not if</span> <span class="hps">the engine</span> <span class="hps">is</span> <span class="hps">not really</span> <span class="hps">the position</span><span>.</span>

<span class="hps">any</span> <span class="hps">help would be</span> <span class="hps">appreciated</span>

<span class="hps">Greetings</span><span>.</span></span><br type="_moz"/>

tailskid 05-01-2012 08:00 AM

Many of my planes have inverted engines and have not given me any problems. Really a mustang should have the engine inverted!