RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Sport Flying (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/sport-flying-373/)
-   -   suggestion for a club "one-design"plane. (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/sport-flying-373/11220131-suggestion-club-%22one-design%22plane.html)

Red_Jeepster 09-06-2012 05:19 PM

suggestion for a club "one-design"plane.

Can you fellas suggest a good 40 or 60 size plane that would fit great as a design for members of the club to all build? Winter build season is coming fast!

cmgtech1 09-06-2012 05:30 PM

RE: suggestion for a club

RCM Hooker. Designed by Chuck Cunningham This plane was featured in the 10/1981 edition of RCMagzine. A real sweetheart to fly. This plane would appeal to a wide diversity of pilots (from expert to those needing a great aileron trainer). Plans available through RCM Plans. http://www.rcmplans.com/index.php?ma...oducts_id=1665

The only downside of this model as a one design subject is when tell your wife that you need to be at the flying field at such and such time because all the guys will be bringing their Hookers to the field.

http://images.rcuniverse.com/gallery.../lg-232574.jpg

Red_Jeepster 09-07-2012 03:28 AM

That would be a difficult conversation indeed, especially in my situation! LOL

bogbeagle 09-07-2012 04:15 AM

I thought "saving fallen women" was part of the job description ... although I don't know how you'd explain why you have one "hanging up in the garage".

Meanwhile, to address the OP. The best choice has to be something of the lowest-common-denominator, I suppose. So, here's a list of attributes which I think would be desirable.

Small enough for transport.
Suit commonly-sized engines or electric motors.
Tricycle undercarriage.
Simple construction with an ARF version available, for those who don't want to build.
Low wing-loading and generally good habits (for a Hooker!).
Economical to build ... no special materials, mouldings or so forth.
No cowlings; good engine access.
Looking at that Hooker, I think I just described it. Be nice if there was a more cambered wing available, too.

Over here, that might be a Wot 4 ... comes ARF, kit, foamie, glow, electric and with a variety of wing sections. Dunno what you have in America.

Elsewhere on this forum, there's a video of a bloke's Sig Kadet Senior, doing touch-and-goes. Looks lovely. Light, simple and so forth. And you'd get to support an indigenous manufacturer.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Z3OvJkAtNA&feature=colike[/youtube]

AERORICH73 09-08-2012 12:07 PM

Thanks a bunch cmgtech1 for the model ident, and RCM plans number. I have been purchasing planes from RCM Service for some time now, but missed this great model. I will add it to my next order. This is really a great model for fun flying individually, and with a club group.

[email protected]

cmgtech1 09-08-2012 06:59 PM

Aerorich73 - no problem :) The Hooker is such an enjoyable airplane. I'm really having a blast flying her! She's a very very comfortable stunter (not a 3D airplane nor a pattern aircraft).

JollyPopper 09-24-2012 05:10 PM

Four Star Forty or Four Star Sixty.

Red_Jeepster 09-24-2012 06:53 PM

We are even thinking of Ugly Stik bipes!

aspeed 09-26-2012 05:33 AM

Spad Extra, or Spad Demon, or any other SPAD. The Extra for 3D kind of stuff, and the Demon if you can talk a few guys into combat. Coroplast is cheap and easy to convince the upper management (wife) into. I think there is a Corostick too.

ratshooter 10-05-2012 10:49 AM

RedJeepster about 3-4 issues back there was an article in the AMA magazine about a club up north that did this. They had a plane that looked like an Ugly Stik knock off and there was a hobby shop that cut the kits for them. I don't have the magazine anymore. I gave it to a buddy to read but it shouldn't be hard to find the info.One guy made a bipe, several customized theirs quite a bit and the whole thing looked like fun. If you hit on a design be sure and post some pics.

Here is one other choice that I like. Simple to build and reasonably priced. Buy in bulk and I bet you could get a break on shipping too. Plus I have never seen a Joe Bridi plane that didn't fly well. These kits have excellent wood and good hardware. My last two came with great Planes engine mounts and heavy duty aluminum main gear.

http://www.bridiairplanes.com/hangar/aircruiser60.html

These build fast and should fly well with a good bearing .46 engine that everyone seems to own. It works out to have a 17.5oz wingloading. I have the .25 sized aircruiser and its a ***** cat to fly. But it also has a flat bottom wing. The aircruiser 60 should be about like a "Stik" model with a longer tail moment. I have the Krafty 60 in my attic and its the same plane except it has a cabin added.

Red_Jeepster 10-05-2012 04:06 PM

Thanks Ratshooter! That looks great. I'll suggest this one. Great price too.

d_bodary 10-14-2012 05:10 PM

[quote]ORIGINAL: ratshooter

RedJeepster about 3-4 issues back there was an article in the AMA magazine about a club up north that did this. They had a plane that looked like an Ugly Stik knock off and there was a hobby shop that cut the kits for them. I don't have the magazine anymore. I gave it to a buddy to read but it shouldn't be hard to find the info. One guy made a bipe, several customized theirs quite a bit and the whole thing looked like fun. If you hit on a design be sure and post some pics.

Here is one other choice that I like. Simple to build and reasonably priced. Buy in bulk and I bet you could get a break on shipping too. Plus I have never seen a Joe Bridi plane that didn't fly well. These kits have excellent wood and good hardware. My last two came with great Planes engine mounts and heavy duty aluminum main gear.

http://www.bridiairplanes.com/hangar/aircruiser60.html

These build fast and should fly well with a good bearing .46 engine that everyone seems to own. It works out to have a 17.5oz wingloading. I have the .25 sized aircruiser and its a ***** cat to fly. But it also has a flat bottom wing. The aircruiser 60 should be about like a ''Stik'' model with a longer tail moment. I have the Krafty 60 in my attic and its the same plane except it has a cabin added.
[/quote

I do believe the club was the Radio control club of Detroit. I want to say the stick was the 2011 plane the All Star 60 was the 2012 plane.
try www*rccd*org replace the asteriks with dots.

jim19 10-17-2012 11:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
A suggestion for an all around club plane is the FIASCO (don't be fooled by the name). The Fiasco is a .40-.46 size sport model, It has excellent flying characteristics and is stable in all aspects of flight with an excellent glide ratio. This plane fills the bill for a wide range of pilots, from those looking for a good handling yet forgiving advanced trainer to those looking for a hot ship to tear up the skies. It is highly maneuverable and goes where it is pointed. A comment by another pilot flying the Fiasco was flies as if it were on rails. The Fiasco ia available in a Sport version or a Flap version. On the flap version, there is no tendency for the model to balloon when the flaps are lowered. This airplane can be built in a tricycle configuration or as a taildragger. Another feature is a built-in bomb compartment in the turtledeck. To use, simply remove the cover. This setup has no affect on the flight characteristics unlike the cup strapped to an airplane. Attached are pics of the latest flap version along with the previous Sport version.

Twin_Flyer 10-18-2012 08:36 AM

Jim19,
Where do I find a FIASCO ?? I tried to google it, nada.

Thanks,
Bill S.

jim19 10-18-2012 03:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Fiasco along with other AeroCrafts models cannot be currently be found online. Contact e-mail for AeroCrafts is [email protected]. Hopefully the AeroCrafts website will be back up and running early next year. The Fiasco is available in the following formats; Custom ARF, Ready to Cover or plans. The Custom ARF format feature the airplane covered in your choice of colors in the standard pattern or in a pattern of your own along with all hardware and accessories required to finish the model. Attached is a pic of the Fiasco out of the box.
Jim

Twin_Flyer 10-18-2012 04:24 PM

Hmm, no kit though? an ARC is a great seccond option.

Prices??

And that is AeroCrafts with an 'S' at the end? Not the AeroCraft site out of Riverhead, NY??

Thanks,
Bill S.

jim19 10-19-2012 09:59 AM

Yes, it is AeroCrafts with an s.
Prices for the Fiasco are as folllows: Plans- $15 in a PDF format, $30 for hardcopy (includes shipping). Ready to Cover- $159. CustomARF- $199. Shipping for RTC and ARF is $25.

hattend 10-19-2012 11:14 AM

We used to have one-design pylon races and settled on the Balsa USA Smoothie. .40 size

Easy to build, easy to transport, nice flying characteristics and (at the time) cheap. I think they are going for $80+ each now.

http://a248.e.akamai.net/origin-cdn....otos/443-2.jpg

[link=http://shop.balsausa.com/product_p/a443.htm]Plans are also available for about $20[/link]

Don

J330 11-16-2012 08:05 PM

I just bought a Smoothie from Speedy-Gonzales on the RCU marketplace, anxious to start building it. Looks like it's own thing, not a copy of anything else.

bikerbc 11-17-2012 10:21 PM

Our club ( eight of us ) built LT40's they are increased in size 9% We also built floats for them....They have Saito 82's on them and they sure get a lot of positive comments..What surprizes me is that most of us are seasoned flyers and we are flying what is concidered a trainer and we are really having fun with them...It was a great club project...One of the guys took care of drawing up the plans etc...