RCU Forums

RCU Forums (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Sport Flying (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/sport-flying-373/)
-   -   Goldberg Cub ARF (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/sport-flying-373/3610413-goldberg-cub-arf.html)

ArcherIIDriver 12-02-2005 12:59 PM

Goldberg Cub ARF

Anyone flying a Goldberg Cub ARF? I've searched the forums here & didn't come up with much. Anyways, I picked one of these up the other day (the yellow one) & just started assembly. I will use an older (but still NIB) OS Max .61 SF ringed engine & 12X6 prop...mounted horizontal w/ a bisson pitts mufler. I plan to use this as a "sunday flyer" type, graceful aerobatics & LOTS of touch-n-go's.

I built one of these from the Aniversary Edition kit about 15 years ago & it was a great flyer. This appears to be a slightly updated version of that plane. Any & all words of wisdom would be appreciated. Especially regarding landing gear beefing & the supplied tail bracing...I'm a bit concerned about all that "metal to metal" being so close to the Rx antenna.

I look forward to everyone's input!

LSP972 12-02-2005 03:47 PM

RE: Goldberg Cub ARF

PM RCU member CCRC1; he's got the red/white/blue one and is a knowledgeable modeler.

NM2K 12-03-2005 08:57 PM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: ArcherIIDriver

Anyone flying a Goldberg Cub ARF? I've searched the forums here & didn't come up with much. Anyways, I picked one of these up the other day (the yellow one) & just started assembly. I will use an older (but still NIB) OS Max .61 SF ringed engine & 12X6 prop...mounted horizontal w/ a bisson pitts mufler. I plan to use this as a "sunday flyer" type, graceful aerobatics & LOTS of touch-n-go's.

I built one of these from the Aniversary Edition kit about 15 years ago & it was a great flyer. This appears to be a slightly updated version of that plane. Any & all words of wisdom would be appreciated. Especially regarding landing gear beefing & the supplied tail bracing...I'm a bit concerned about all that "metal to metal" being so close to the Rx antenna.

I look forward to everyone's input!

-----------------

As long as the metal isn't intermittently touching other metal surfaces, you will be okay. Today's receivers are sensitive and can cope with a lot of things that our older receivers could not.

You could get a small fortune for that OS .61 SF, you know. People like me are willing to pay above market price for a NIB example of such an engine.

A 13x6 would be more in line. A 12x6 is a bit light for this engine, although it would not hurt to run it that way at all.

Let us know what you think of this combination. TIA

jlingrel 12-03-2005 09:00 PM

Ed, are you a collector. I just bought 3 NIB 61FSR, two are Special Edition engines. Would be interesting to know what someone would pay for them

John

ArcherIIDriver 12-05-2005 10:20 AM

Ed, thanks for the advise on the prop & tail bracing. I wasn't aware of the demand for that engine. I've had it (along with all my other RC stuff) stored for over 10 years. Wish I would have read your post before bolting the .61 SF to the test stand & running 3 tanks through it for break-in. I guess it is no longer considered "new"??? (BTY-first try out of the box, it started on the 3rd flip...after that starts on the 1st flip...no electric starter needed)

If you, or anyone else, really want that engine...I would entertain offers. Otherwise, I'll start flying with it this coming weekend.

I'll let everyone know how the Cub does just as soon as I get her in the air.

wadec2006 07-31-2009 05:57 PM

Im 14 and I have a Carl Goldberg Anniversary Edition Piper Cub kit. My grandpa crashed it and my dad rebuilt the wing. I just got done flying it about an hour ago. It handles and flys real nice. I would recommend this airplane. Mine has about a 72 inch wing span. so that mean it's a 40 size. I have a K&B .61 and it rolls on. After I get time to take some pictures I will. But this is a good flying airplane overall.

mmarion 08-02-2012 10:28 AM

Hello everyone.. new to RcUniverse.. hoping to be in the right forum

I picked up a Carl Goldberg Piper Cub J3 with 72 inches wing span and I am looking for the manual.
I tried Carl Goldberg support but they claime they never had a 72 inches wingspan .. only 76.

The logo stickers on the wings and side are pretty real to me ..
1) Anyone has the same plane as I?
2) Anyone has the instruction Manual?
3) Anyone knows the CG for this plane .. only one I found was for the 76 inches model.
Thanks