Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Universe Support > Suggestions
Reload this Page >

A few suggestions?

Notices
Suggestions Have a suggestion for a feature, new category or anything else? Let us know by posting it here!

A few suggestions?

Old 10-10-2010, 08:32 AM
pythonfan
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A few suggestions?

Well over the years ive noticed a few things that i think would really help rcu, i did a quick search to find no one surprisingly has suggested these yet.

Image resizer - So for images placed in [img][/img] it would shrink them to fit on the page without blowing out the post body. This i know for a fact could be done with some simple bbcode but i know rcu is a customer forum, so i'm unsure of how you guys would do it but i'm sure its something that could be done. Now i know this could be argued with, why don't people use the so and so for there pictures since it does this already. Well alot of users such as myself like and have other sites they wish to upload and store there photo's on, and would allow best of both worlds.

On vb you can set a desired height and width of the image re sizer, so you could let the length be as long as the picture is but limit the width to the post body. Then its a simple click to make it bigger in window.

Sub thread - Now this is something that as a forum owner myself would have to be thought threw and executed properly. As it has some cons but more pro's so i think.

Basically when someone starts a new thread and discussion continues and gets off-topic or someone want's to discuss something about whats going on in that users thread, instead of thread jacking or derailing the thread and from making a new post just to talk about whats going on in the thread at hand. The users who are going on about what ever it might be can make a sub thread. Think of its mechanics like the forum itself. You have the main forum, then sub forums for etx. This would work like that. When someone is talking about a model car for example and a few users would like to discuss something that would normally be meant for its own thread but is still meant for the op's thread, and consists of the op's subject a user could start a sub thread. So these other users could continue to talk about whats going on in the main thread but not dis rail the topic and allow the op to contribute to his and the possible sub threads.

Take one of the many build threads going on in any one of the forums. Now as users are watching it progress, most start talking about the build or parts or misc which in alot of cases gets off topic to the op's main thread. By giving users the ability to make a sub thread, they can talk about stuff related to the subject at hand but in its own place keeping it on topic and its off-subject ontopic.

Now the first con i see would be, most new users would just go in someones thread and post asking for help instead of posting a new thread. That in it self is a pro/con. It would keep from hijacking the thread but its not what the sub thread is really meant for.

It could possibly lower posts in the main forums, which is not a good thing. But with what i talked about above it would help clean out some of the messes with in some of the larger threads. Take the lounge in the car off-topic forum. Someone posts something, and a few people would like to continue you talk about that post but its not really something that deserves its own thread. But a subthread could be made and those select few could talk among themselves about what might of been posted.

One thing i would do is, make the sub threads not count toward post count, since it would be more for casual discussion and not be abused.

The last thing is something that ive been noticing to get worse and worse over the years. There seems to be more and more lack of car mods. For the one's who do chime in that the users still know about are lack there of and keep to there more frequent forums instead of looking at the lesser loved sections. Now i know the mods do this out of there spare time and to help out the community. I do this with my forum, i fully understand what goes on but to see the frequent pissing contests and flames and misc gets old when a mod could breeze over a section to check up on things.

A big example is, the monster truck section. All to often are there nothing but wars and generic bs. Now as a user i know we can report the issue but, for every thread that does get reported many more get over looked. When things get bad ive reported to help the op and cut down on the bs but, small things like that kinda urk me. I barley visit the mt section cause i'm sick of the drama. Alot of very knowledgeable users have left the boards or been chased out cause of the crap that goes on.

I know with whats going on outside of the forums is hurting alot of us, but the small things like seeing certain mods post use to bring a smile to my face to know there still around caring about the users in this community. Now i don't see them as much and it feels like i dunno how to describe it. Ive been a member for some years now and have seen alot of people come and go and thats the nature of this hobby. Some people come for help, and like myself i came for help and stayed cause the forums were so inviting and had a great deal of people willing to help like a family. Now that feeling is not there so much as it was when i joined.

Enough of the emotions, i guess what i'm trying to say is it would be nice to see some more mods around taking care of the smaller things that seem over looked. Help make new users feel welcomed, i know when i first joined a mod helped me and it was nice to see someone go out of his/her way to help me and many other users. I don't see that much with the cars as of late. I don't even see rcken posting as much as he use to in the car section.

I might have rambled on somethings more then i should have so i apologize, if you would like anything written a bit cleaner or explained more i'll me more then welcome to elaborate.

Joe