Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Universe Support > Suggestions
Reload this Page >

search engine problem

Community
Search
Notices
Suggestions Have a suggestion for a feature, new category or anything else? Let us know by posting it here!

search engine problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 08:38 PM
Baron243
My Feedback: (50)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default search engine problem

How about adding a direct link from the home page to report problems? Like right now I'm having a problem with the search engine. None of my computer settings have changed, so I'm confident It's not on my end, and yet for the past 4 days, no matter what I search for, even if I know there is an item listed on the site, I get the message "Sorry, there are no listings that match your search." Very frustrating, let's fix it!
Old 06-27-2013, 02:22 AM
Baron243
My Feedback: (50)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: search engine problem

Wow! That was fast! It's working this morning! I did come across a screen last night that suggested checking the filter settings, which I did but I made no changes, and I just resaved everything. Could that have fixed it?

Anyway, I still think a direct link from the home page would be a good idea.
Old 06-27-2013, 03:48 AM
Joystick TX

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I never use the RCU "pretend" search engine. I use Google. I have several things I search for and the RCU engine can't find them under any of the search terms. Been a problem for years.
Old 06-27-2013, 04:50 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I will be the first to admit that RCU's search function is extremely lacking and is many times close to useless. Yes, I am the RCU Forum  Manager and I am saying our search function stinks!!! it has always been a weakness of RCU. Back when the previous owners of RCU were running the site they wanted to have Google so our search functions for use, but because of the size of the RCU database the cost from Google was going to be a  number with a bunch of zeros behind it (think 5 zeros behind the number!!!). Because of that we have the search system we have now.

So can it be fixed?? Technically, the answer is yes we could fix it. But our new owners (Internet Brands) isn't going to spend one thin dime to fix the current system search functions. Yes, you read that right. They aren't going to fix our current system. Why?? Because the current RCU system software has a very short life left. We are currently in the process of moving all of RCU from this current system to vBulletin. We have been beta testing the new forum software for the last month or so and we're getting really close to roll out the new system. While we don't have the exact date set right now, we're expecting it to be within the next few weeks.

The good thing about this is that Internet Brands owns vBulletin. So they are the kings of making that software work for Discussion Forums such as RCU. Once we are on the new system we should see a dramatic increase in the functionality of our search functions. So the best thing I can tell you right now is just wait for a bit and we should have this fixed with the new forum software.

Hope this helps

Ken
Old 06-27-2013, 01:13 PM
Joystick TX

I'm amazed at how the RCU search engine works, I'm not sure I know any programmers who are smart enough to make it work that way. It is difficult to make a program that can't find random items entered into a common database.

@Ken, sure hope the new migration goes well. It would be nice to be able to use the RCU search function.

On another RCU "feature", I still copy all of my text before I post to avoid the "timeout surprise." Allowing a session to timeout and delete the text without warning is like Detroit delivering a new car with no transmission. Elementary programming boo boo; my CS students would get an F for that type of mistake. I don't know if that is fixed yet, I just always do it on RCU.

Old 06-27-2013, 01:16 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: Joystick TX

On another RCU "feature", I still copy all of my text before I post to avoid the "timeout surprise." Allowing a session to timeout and delete thetext without warning is like Detroit delivering a new car with no transmission. Elementary programming boo boo; my CS students would get an F for that type of mistake. I don't know if that is fixed yet, I just always do it on RCU.

Trust me, with the amount of time I spend on RCU, and over 24,000 posts, I can assure you that I know all about this annoying problem. This should be a thing of the past when we migrate to vBulletin!! I for one will be more than happy to see it go as well!!!

Ken

Old 06-27-2013, 01:46 PM
Joystick TX

Ken, it is a real pet peeve of mine, a person should NEVER lose text typed into a computer. I even hate the message, "Do you want to save the changes you made?" Of course it should be saved; only an idiot would type 40 pages of text and want it trashed. If you want to delete it, you can always do that on purpose, the programmer should never assume that you don't want to save what you typed.