Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Universe Support > Suggestions
Reload this Page >

POLL: What parts of RCU are important to you?

Notices
Suggestions Have a suggestion for a feature, new category or anything else? Let us know by posting it here!
View Poll Results: Which of these RCU sections are important? (SELECT ALL THAT APPLY)
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 253. You may not vote on this poll

POLL: What parts of RCU are important to you?

Old 11-23-2019, 11:10 AM
  #26  
dhal22
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Roswell, GA
Posts: 5,629
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

This site used to be awesome. All the changes screwed it up and many long time posters have moved on. Classic pattern used to be extremely active. It is essentially dead.
dhal22 is offline  
Old 11-23-2019, 04:23 PM
  #27  
cyclops2
 
cyclops2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Frenchtown, NJ
Posts: 3,023
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

RC Universe is all the younger crowd. Buy new & RTF no repairs needed. Where are the D I Y guys hanging out today ?
cyclops2 is offline  
Old 11-23-2019, 06:34 PM
  #28  
Got RPM
 
Got RPM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: AZ
Posts: 765
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Cool

I have used the old RCU quite a few times tru the years and I have liked it then all of a sudden you make all these changes then you wind up into another planet looks like, if you wanted to clean up the old one you dint need any improvements you could have done so but always leaving the old notion I never had any problem with the old one to begin with and I have bought and sold lots of stuff look on the number one think RCU has lost all most 3/4 of their posts just because every one like me as seen that the new one does not work well number one there is no necessity to keep all expired posts on the web site to much cloning without having a repost button and just keep one of it there number two there is lack of messaging I have lots of problem communicating with prospected buyers because I dint get any messages and you can see on the records talking about this particular subject, number three the site was not divided into proper subject selection like it was the old one ecc.ecc. Man bring back the old one John had a fantastic think going on for ove 17 years why change it look at the big web sites they never changed any think since day one except polishing rules and regulations but thatís it, thank you for listening!
Dude, did you read post #8? They have no choice but to update the site. Change is the one constant in life, name a site or forum which is exactly the same as it was in 2005. If you donít like it, do what they suggested about the poll - donít participate.


.
Got RPM is offline  
Old 11-23-2019, 07:19 PM
  #29  
airplaneskipper
My Feedback: (103)
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Anthem AZ
Posts: 113
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by Got RPM View Post
Dude, did you read post #8? They have no choice but to update the site. Change is the one constant in life, name a site or forum which is exactly the same as it was in 2005. If you donít like it, do what they suggested about the poll - donít participate.


.
I name the one that was original imitated by RCU and that is EBAY Dude only in RC format only with the additions Forums and so fourth and Except the rules the format is still the same dint change a bití I donít know whatís going on with this attitude like it or donít like it admin ask for suggestions and we gave them I think it became a circus with all these stupid answers this is a joke!
airplaneskipper is offline  
Old 11-26-2019, 07:08 AM
  #30  
h.hibbler
My Feedback: (24)
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Hesperia, CA
Posts: 33
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Cool Vote Here

How about just giving us the old site back. Not happy with this one......
h.hibbler is offline  
Old 11-26-2019, 02:37 PM
  #31  
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)
 
DGrant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Clovis, CA
Posts: 1,943
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Obviously there's many problems. I contend more then they can disclose in any thread. I haven't looked at this site in probably over 3 months, and probably all total just a few times in the last few years. So I'm going with "none of the above". I registered with this site probably a week or two after it was launched in 2001, and was a moderator for a few years or more. It really rocked, I remember when it hit 100,000 users. It was a party, with new users registering every day, and using it frequently. Sponsors were flocking to it, advertisers couldn't sign up fast enough...

Every change since about 2006-2008 has it slipping down a slope though from what I can tell. At some point it was taken over by an entity that really made it tough to use. It seems like it's just treaded water for the last 10yrs.

The Market Place is ridiculous and hard to use, there's no origin dates on any threads so you can't see when anything was originally posted without hitting on it, and the list goes on. I'm not wanting to bash here, but these are just a few of the issues I as a user have to deal with.

I certainly wish it could remain and evolve to a better site, but now today I finally log in, and there's a prompt to vote on what we think is "more important". Those kind of polls create more division then anything else you could do. I cringe when I see/hear those kind of polls. I've seen those things split clubs, churches, and organizations right down the middle, and nothing gets resolved...

How about this... You guys think about it, come up with a site plan, and if I/we like it, we'll be back. Get rid of the politics of what your users think, and be creative, do your jobs, make it work, make changes where needed, and if it doesn't work, you do it again.
If you can't keep up with it, maybe you're in the wrong business. Know though there's almost 19yrs of history(not to mention this site apparently took on the older RCOnline at some point early on also if I'm not mistaken).

The most important thing you can do is come up with something that works and appeals to your users. Don't ask users what they think, do your job and get creative. Entice us, make users(like me) want to read your site. I don't want to see 19yrs of information go up in smoke, but it's inevitable if you guys don't get with it.

Last edited by DGrant; 11-26-2019 at 02:40 PM.
DGrant is offline  
Old 11-26-2019, 04:41 PM
  #32  
Got RPM
 
Got RPM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: AZ
Posts: 765
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Unhappy

I name the one that was original imitated by RCU and that is EBAY Dude only in RC format only with the additions Forums and so fourth and Except the rules the format is still the same dint change a bit’ I don’t know what’s going on with this attitude like it or don’t like it admin ask for suggestions and we gave them I think it became a circus with all these stupid answers this is a joke!
Geeze dude, speak coherently much? Do you believe in punctuation? Pass English in school? You seem to like jokes, so good luck with that. Sorry to be the one who teaches you this, but change is inevitable in life, learn to deal with it or consider another site....


.
Got RPM is offline  
Old 11-27-2019, 12:21 PM
  #33  
IBobi
Administrator
Thread Starter
My Feedback: (1)
 
IBobi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: El Segundo, CA
Posts: 903
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by DGrant View Post
Obviously there's many problems. I contend more then they can disclose in any thread. I haven't looked at this site in probably over 3 months, and probably all total just a few times in the last few years. So I'm going with "none of the above". I registered with this site probably a week or two after it was launched in 2001, and was a moderator for a few years or more. It really rocked, I remember when it hit 100,000 users. It was a party, with new users registering every day, and using it frequently. Sponsors were flocking to it, advertisers couldn't sign up fast enough...

Every change since about 2006-2008 has it slipping down a slope though from what I can tell. At some point it was taken over by an entity that really made it tough to use. It seems like it's just treaded water for the last 10yrs.

The Market Place is ridiculous and hard to use, there's no origin dates on any threads so you can't see when anything was originally posted without hitting on it, and the list goes on. I'm not wanting to bash here, but these are just a few of the issues I as a user have to deal with.

I certainly wish it could remain and evolve to a better site, but now today I finally log in, and there's a prompt to vote on what we think is "more important". Those kind of polls create more division then anything else you could do. I cringe when I see/hear those kind of polls. I've seen those things split clubs, churches, and organizations right down the middle, and nothing gets resolved...

How about this... You guys think about it, come up with a site plan, and if I/we like it, we'll be back. Get rid of the politics of what your users think, and be creative, do your jobs, make it work, make changes where needed, and if it doesn't work, you do it again.
If you can't keep up with it, maybe you're in the wrong business. Know though there's almost 19yrs of history(not to mention this site apparently took on the older RCOnline at some point early on also if I'm not mistaken).

The most important thing you can do is come up with something that works and appeals to your users. Don't ask users what they think, do your job and get creative. Entice us, make users(like me) want to read your site. I don't want to see 19yrs of information go up in smoke, but it's inevitable if you guys don't get with it.
I thank you for this thoughtful reply! I would like to address some of it.

I can't speak to changes as far back as 2006-2008. Way before my time, and even before IB bought the site. But I can speak, again, to the reasons for some of the changes we have made, including the marketplace.

The current RCU Marketplace is the best RC classifieds marketplace on the Internet. I know this because I've looked at the other guys, and all they are is a bunch of forum threads. They split off a subforum, called it a marketplace, and walked away. Our marketplace is a separate product, within the forum software, with features specifically for RC sales. I do get that we lost some features when we moved from the old RCU marketplace to the new one; but at this point, we are not comparing old RCU to new RCU -- we are comparing RCU to everyone else. And we're the most feature-rich, RC-specific marketplace around, period.

Now, let's talk about why we changed from the old RCU marketplace to the new. It's the same reason we are running this current poll: the site we purchased 10-ish years ago was custom-coded in Coldfusion, and is not as compliant with modern security standards, nor is it upgradeable. It's got to be rewritten from the ground up. So we did that with the forums. Then we did it with the most important part of RCU (outside of the forums) -- the marketplace. Now, we are running this poll to determine what parts to work on next... and to some extent, what parts we can just let go.

As such, we don't see asking our members to help us determine our technical priorities as a "political" act. We see it as necessity. We only have so many resources, and rather than spend them rebuilding something nobody actually cares about, we want to spend them on things that matter to this community.

Forums are hard. This isn't 2011 anymore, and people have other ways of getting their RC info. But we are sticking with this, and dedicating ourselves to making RCU the best RC site on the Internet, just as we have with the Marketplace. If you'd like to consider returning as a mod and helping directly with that, please talk to Ken. If not, I hope you'll consider continuing to give feedback -- believe it or not, nobody ever suggested that including in the search results page the original post date of a Marketplace listing was even desired until your note here. We could do that. We can do other things too; but not if they don't occur to us, and not if nobody says, "hey -- this would be cool."

Yes, this is a challenge. Stay with us for the ride.

-Paul
IBobi is offline  
Old 11-28-2019, 04:37 PM
  #34  
karolh
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Mandeville, JAMAICA
Posts: 6,610
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by dhal22 View Post
This site used to be awesome. All the changes screwed it up and many long time posters have moved on. Classic pattern used to be extremely active. It is essentially dead.
My sentiments exactly.
karolh is offline  
Old 11-29-2019, 06:41 AM
  #35  
timbro21
My Feedback: (12)
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: , CO
Posts: 8
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default timbro21

The new site has no confidential section to share information with the buyer or seller. Every reply seems to be posted to the public as would all negotiating by the buyer or seller. That will not work.
timbro21 is offline  
Old 11-30-2019, 09:35 AM
  #36  
ChemE
 
ChemE's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 21
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

If you have to start from scratch, you should have anticipated the issues and written the correct code. I have purchased one item in the last year and it was a hassle.
The market place attracted me to the site, which in turn attracted me to the forums, which had me look at the adds of your sponsors.. Now, I don't look at the adds or read the forums because I come on the site once per month to look at what's new and leave. A site is a total experience not just buying items. When one of the legs are gone, the rest suffers.

We all understand change and the need for it. I understand that your code was obsolete and believe you. What I don't understand is trying to make your customers get force fed these new changes. If I did that with my customers I wouldn't have any.

Most all of the members liked the old market place. If that is so, copy the old marketplace and write it in new code. If it is too expensive, then you should consider selling the site to a better financially heeled crowd.

The old tenant of business is you don't screw your old customers in the hope of getting new ones. Few business that try to rebrand to a different demographic succeed. I wish you all the best.

Respectfully

ChemE,
ChemE is offline  
Old 11-30-2019, 11:35 AM
  #37  
AndyAndrews
 
AndyAndrews's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Little Rock, AR
Posts: 6,124
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by T3chDad View Post
Needs a "None of the above" option....
Agreed. Get rid of them all.
AndyAndrews is offline  
Old 11-30-2019, 11:37 AM
  #38  
AndyAndrews
 
AndyAndrews's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Little Rock, AR
Posts: 6,124
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by karolh View Post
My sentiments exactly.
Agreed. One of the things driving this sight was the ease of posting pictures and the Buy&Sell. Both of these were messed with the new format.
AndyAndrews is offline  
Old 12-02-2019, 08:50 AM
  #39  
JP4MAN
My Feedback: (116)
 
JP4MAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Midway KY
Posts: 24
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

The OLD RCU was great, it was easy to use, easier to buy stuff, easier in almost every way, with quick responses to questions and offers, I for one used to be a regular buyer & seller on the OLD RCU but now I rarely buy on the NEW RCU FORMAT because it just isn't easy to use anymore, I for one would absolutely love it if you went back to the OLD RCU!!! Jimmy
JP4MAN is offline  
Old 12-02-2019, 11:01 AM
  #40  
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)
 
Propworn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,856
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Make no mistake there doesn't need to be so many problems as occur here when they make changes. I think its just plane lazy on their part. Most of the other forums I belong to when they make changes will put up a beta version of the new site for you to try. If things don't work you can still revert to the old site and post your issues. They address those issues and when everything is worked out the beta site becomes the new site and the old ceases to exist. Kind of simple when you consider your members are like your customers eh!!!!!!

Dennis
Propworn is offline  
Old 12-02-2019, 02:09 PM
  #41  
IBobi
Administrator
Thread Starter
My Feedback: (1)
 
IBobi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: El Segundo, CA
Posts: 903
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by timbro21 View Post
The new site has no confidential section to share information with the buyer or seller. Every reply seems to be posted to the public as would all negotiating by the buyer or seller. That will not work.
Private Messages are private.

Originally Posted by ChemE View Post
I have purchased one item in the last year and it was a hassle.

Most all of the members liked the old market place. If that is so, copy the old marketplace and write it in new code. If it is too expensive, then you should consider selling the site to a better financially heeled crowd.
Thanks for your reply -- specifically, what was a hassle?

As to rewriting the entire site with new code, had we unlimited resources, we'd have done that. But we do not, so we must make do with off-the-shelf products that we can modify. Sorry about that.

Originally Posted by AndyAndrews View Post
Agreed. One of the things driving this sight was the ease of posting pictures and the Buy&Sell. Both of these were messed with the new format.
What's wrong with posting pictures now?

What issues are you having posting items for sale?
IBobi is offline  
Old 12-09-2019, 01:38 PM
  #42  
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)
 
DGrant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Clovis, CA
Posts: 1,943
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Thanks for your response IBob. I will continue reading this site from time to time. I hope the best for you and the site. It seems you're trying, and it's no doubt not an easy job making decisions and changes.

I'm not particularly fond of the market place myself, it's been years I've done any deals there. Maybe it's changed from the last time I've used it, I'm not sure. I'm not sure what's wrong with a message board style market place though... I've grown fond of them and the ease of use. Everything is the same, whether it's discussion or listing... with a few differences to use each type as they're supposed to be. I'm not any internet guru though, just a long time end user that's somewhat set in my ways.

As for being a moderator, thanks for that info, and if a time comes that I might start reading and attending this site more frequently, I'd consider it. At this point though I don't use it enough, and really the current mods seem to do a very decent job of keeping it clean and keeping everyone happy. I think you've got a good moderator team.

You need more users posting every day though... that I do see. There's forums and threads that have been stagnant for weeks and more with no activity. I'm sure that's part of what you're working on in changing the site up to hopefully entice new (and old) users back to being active as they once were. Again thanks for your response.
DGrant is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.