Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Universe Support > Suggestions
Reload this Page >

Still don't like it.

Community
Search
Notices
Suggestions Have a suggestion for a feature, new category or anything else? Let us know by posting it here!

Still don't like it.

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2003, 01:36 PM
mvigod
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Still don't like it.

I wonder if the filesize on the banners is slowing down page loads. I should pull the ads off for a day and let everyone test the forums without them. If it turns out to be the filesize on them we can look to reduce that.

Keep in mind...these are the same banners we had on the old forum so when you say burdened with graphics and ads it is no different from the old site. Actually there is ONE LESS ad on this forum then on the old site. The top right ad is gone.

As far as the header...once you download it your browser caches it so you should never take another page load hit to view it.
Old 10-22-2003, 03:04 PM
easysport
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got on the hompage in 2 sec today at 28.8kbs response between forum pages is faster too.Dont know what you guys did but it is much faster for me at least.
Old 10-22-2003, 04:25 PM
DocYates
My Feedback: (102)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Marc,
I do not envy your job. After reading how hard you worked and the time it required to keep this site up and running, I "joined" up and purchased a member ship. Would have done the same at the older version if I had realized the work that was being put into the site. I think I just thought that I turned on my computer and things just came together...;-)
In any case, I appreciate what you are doing, my personal opinion is that people like the older format better because it was easier to navigate. Everything was pretty much on one page, with no tool bar. The more I use this format however the more I become used to it, and am closely forgetting how the other one even worked. I am, however, using a fast connection (DSL) and do not mind all the pictures. I can see where guys using modems and slower connections are having a hard time. Rest assured sooner or later you will have all the bugs worked out, good luck. I would like to see the karma ratings be brought back, since I have made a couple of deals here on the new site and cannot figure out how to leave feedback for the seller, and he has not left any for me.
Tommy
Old 10-22-2003, 05:33 PM
gilberttj

I have only been a member for six months but I do have a couple of comments. After the intial problems of logging in(on the new rcu) which were addressed in a timely and personal manner I don't find to much of anything to complain about. After 20 yrs out of the hobby I stumbled across RCU which has forced me to jump back into the hobby with both feet. Before RCU I purchased the WHOLE ama magazine library for $170 from ama on cd-rom.......if you want to talk about "ease of use" you should give ama cd's a whirl, they have become the most expensive beer coasters in the house. I was just trying to get caught up on the hobby and building info. I don't have broadband or a super computer but the info I gleen from RCU has been invaluable and the forums great fun! Please keep up the good and FREE work. Sincerly,Gilbert
Old 10-22-2003, 05:41 PM
Nathan
Administrator
My Feedback: (12)

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: DocYates
I would like to see the karma ratings be brought back, since I have made a couple of deals here on the new site and cannot figure out how to leave feedback for the seller, and he has not left any for me.
Tommy
Tommy-

Click Marketplace
Click My Market
Click Buy or Bid

There you will see all the items you're bidding on or have won. If the member has "issued a statement" for the transaction under the "action" column you'll see the option to rate the member.
Old 10-22-2003, 06:49 PM
plane_pilot
My Feedback: (1)

Forums slow anywhere I go!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-23-2003, 03:50 PM
bla bla

Yep it's slow 11 secs to go to page 2 of this post... and thats with 700 and something Kbs broadband!!!!!!!!
Old 10-23-2003, 04:15 PM
Nathan
Administrator
My Feedback: (12)

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

I wonder if some of you are still viewing the dynamic pull down menus?

Go to the top of the page
Click My Account
Look for "See Dynamic Pulldown Menus"
Make sure it's selected no
Old 10-24-2003, 06:56 AM
plane_pilot
My Feedback: (1)

Set to No on my end. I am noticing a little faster response this AM. I'll give it a little more time to see if things change????
Old 10-24-2003, 10:55 AM
WORNBOOTS
My Feedback: (33)

From the 1st page to this page it took 8 sec. (from Click to full load) the page was visable at 5 sec. but the progress bar was still showing till 11 sec.

That's on dial-up currently at 49.3 (dynamics menue ON)

Slght winds and cold spells expected for most of the day
This a been a local web weather report

Old 11-01-2003, 10:46 PM
049flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I agree that the sight is too slow! Too many graphics at too high a resolution and way too often!

Why is it that much effort is made to speed web sights up only to add more useless graphics so that the speed is slower than before? Progress? I think not!

I use a dialup at home and have all but given up on using the internet due to the speed, I guess it's broadband or nothing! Even worse is when I travel, if you can get more than 24K in a hotel room consider yourself lucky!

It's hardly worth the effort anymore. I think INFORMATION flowed faster when we had 300 baud modems and no pictures. Now if only I could turn off the graphics, pictures, banners, and adds...
Old 11-02-2003, 12:54 AM
mvigod
Banned

Once you load our "graphic" header ONCE it is cached and no longer downloaded as you continue to surf RCU during that session. Our site is very light in graphics. It loads literally in under 1 second for me here on cable modem.
Old 11-02-2003, 04:54 AM
mikenlapaz

Marc: FYI
Nov2,03 2:41am MST 31,200 bps indicated connection; took 51 seconds to go from this page to HOME page and 25 seconds to 'back' to this page.
It is nice to be able to post, first time since conversion. I do agree that things are slower and the top page banners are a pain. Personally I cannot scroll down until all the top page/banner is finished loading. (Could the resolution/quality of the banner be a part of the slow down?)

Your site is important to me. One of the major connections to the new hobby as a magazine of information and an opportunity to field questions/ideas off of the experienced members. Do what is necessary to keep them active on RCU.
edit: 3am 313 users your site took 46 seconds to get from marketplace to to my forums and be able to scroll down!
Old 11-02-2003, 09:18 AM
goofup

First, I'm no computer expert. Second, I feel for those who are having such a slow response. However, for me, RCU is very, very fast and I even have the "dynamic menus" on. Assuming that most of us aren't having a speed problem (or everyone would be screaming), it seems logical to me that the problem is on the user end (browsers, browser settings, etc.) and not with RCU.
Old 11-03-2003, 02:00 PM
mvigod
Banned

Our site is not under any load. 9 servers with 25 processors run it. Our bandwidth is at 10% of what is available. I know the site is responding quickly in almost all cases with the exception of when we are updating our search index which can slow the site down for a few minutes.

What I will be looking into is whether some of the banners or javascript are slowing down those with slower computers or connections.
Old 11-03-2003, 02:20 PM
WORNBOOTS
My Feedback: (33)

Marc

I want to just mention that there was a lead on techtv concerning some M S patches and updates, and that many pc users have experienced cosiderable speed issues after running the updates / sec fixes / patches

It may not have anything to do with the actual site problems, just something I saw the other night.