Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Universe Support > Suggestions
Reload this Page >

Still don't like it.

Community
Search
Notices
Suggestions Have a suggestion for a feature, new category or anything else? Let us know by posting it here!

Still don't like it.

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2003, 10:11 PM
rrowley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Still don't like it.

It's just too busy. Icons, dots, symbols that you have no idea what they mean, font that is very unreadable.

I like change, so this is not just I don't like it cause it's different. I think you have over done it.

Even a one line post take quite a bit of vertical space on the screen. and I run 1152x864, so it's not that I am running 640x480.

I'll probably spend most of my time elsewhere.

I don't see many others complaining so it must just be me.

Edit:

Oh, yeah, and i have to scroll down to see anything. When I go into a forum, I have to scroll down to see the first post, when I go down into a post, I have to scroll down to see the first message. PITA.

End Edit
Old 10-11-2003, 08:30 PM
goofup

Default RE: Still don't like it.

The term "symbolism over substance" comes to mind...
Old 10-11-2003, 10:43 PM
LarryC

rrowley,

"Oh, yeah, and i have to scroll down to see anything. When I go into a forum, I have to scroll down to see the first post, when I go down into a post, I have to scroll down to see the first message. PITA."

Maybe something to do with RCU software, I'm sure not an expert there, but i'm wondering what browser you are using. I've read several comments from other users describing problems I haven't seen.

Regarding the quote above, I'm using Netscape 7.1. It's slower than I would like but usually works OK (but not always). I usually open posts in a new window with a right click. When the page opens it shows me the first post on the page without scrolling down. I'm using a resolution of 800x600.

Most of the time changes don't bother me. A few here are a bit aggravating but I haven't had any major problems. I guess it would be nice if the software folks could ever get everyone playing from the same music when they make web programs.

I think my biggest trouble so far is the e-mail notification of new posts doesn't seem to work for me. At least it's just a computer and not my RC transmitter!

Larry

Old 10-11-2003, 11:10 PM
mvigod
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've posted it 100 times and I'll post it 101. Code changes are in the works to fix these issues. Thank you for your patience.

BTW - the font is the same style and size as the old RCU. Scrolling is the same as we had the same vertical layout.

go to http://utopia.rcuniverse.com and compare both windows side by side. I've had other users claim the font or text was different but it is not. This was fixed the first few days after launch which was about a month ago.

Larry - are you subscribing to the threads? You must check off the notify email for you to get notices on subscribed threads. I need more detail to troubleshoot this.
Old 10-12-2003, 05:37 AM
goofup

At this writing, the second post must have been deleted (now mine is #2), but it refered to three other RC sites that "looked" like the old RCU. I went to those sites and combined they probably had 1/10 the content, members, posts, classifieds, etc. In other words, they may have had the old RCU "look", but no way are they anything close to RCU- hince my "symbolism over substance" statement.

If you want to sell something, or find out anything, this is one of the best places to do it. If it's "busy" with too many bells and whisles, remember they're there because we requested them!

Old 10-12-2003, 08:45 AM
Cajun

Marc, the only complaint I ever had with the new style was the slow speed. I have notice lately the load speed is back up and the site is wokring well.

Congrats
Cajun[8D]
Old 10-12-2003, 08:56 AM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Oh, yeah, and i have to scroll down to see anything. When I go into a forum, I have to scroll down to see the first post, when I go down into a post, I have to scroll down to see the first message. PITA.
I agree. Every time I open a new page I get the title/tool bars and "Special Announcement" box. Have to scroll down to get to any substance.
Dennis-
Old 10-12-2003, 05:29 PM
Mike in DC

Every time I open a new page I get the title/tool bars and "Special Announcement" box. Have to scroll down to get to any substance.
Well, they have to pay for the site somehow, don't they? Do you watch TV? What about all those pesky ads you have to sit through before the show starts or continues?
Old 10-13-2003, 03:54 AM
mvigod
Banned

That big honkin announcement at the top will go away. It is temporary to inform users of things since I don't have a sitewide sticky post just yet to do the same like I had on the old site. I have put the other stuff higher up the ladder like one email for new posts instead of one email for every reply, new posts fix, search fix to sort by date and show views/replies, etc....trying to get all the stuff you guys really need first. Will all be uploaded this week and will be a breath of fresh air for the forums I assure. Sorry for the delay but the code was quite complex!
Old 10-15-2003, 12:35 AM
IronZ
My Feedback: (3)

A little off topic, but, what is the "code" you refer to? I mean, what language or whatever.

Thanks,
Old 10-15-2003, 10:16 AM
mvigod
Banned

The code is our scripts that run the forums and this website
Old 10-18-2003, 03:13 PM
bla bla

Yep these ads at the beginning a re a real pain in the #ss, they'll have to go.
I agree, to many buttons, graphics, icons and pictures to load...takes to much time and I'm running 704kbs broadband, ok not the fastest but fast enough!

keep the forums dead simple, leave all the fancy stuff to the other netmag side of the business.

Old 10-18-2003, 05:43 PM
IronZ

ORIGINAL: bla bla

Yep these ads at the beginning a re a real pain in the #ss, they'll have to go.
I agree, to many buttons, graphics, icons and pictures to load...takes to much time and I'm running 704kbs broadband, ok not the fastest but fast enough!

keep the forums dead simple, leave all the fancy stuff to the other netmag side of the business.

Two ads bother you? I don't mind them at all. If they were not R/C related then I could see the problem but two ads that might interest me doesn't seem to bad. The site does seem kinda slower at times, but all and all it rocks!
Old 10-19-2003, 11:45 PM
mvigod
Banned

we are cutting the tall ad down to 250 or 300 pixels (I forgot). The 350's were too tall also IMHO. Sorry about that...they didn't look that big until they went live here. I think with the 250/300 high banners the message can be conveyed without much over scrolling.
Old 10-20-2003, 03:44 PM
plane_pilot
My Feedback: (1)

I't still take so long to load a page. I've started going other places because the time it take to load tool bars, etc... I almost forgot what I came here to see!!!!!
Old 10-20-2003, 10:26 PM
mvigod
Banned

plane_pilot - is it only the forums or the whole site. need to know. I did notice graphics were loading slow today. I am not sure what it is. If I can't get it figured out the worse case scenario is to use the old software. Not ideal because it lacks alot of stuff but we know it can be fast at least. I think this platform can be made to run more quickly. Our hardware and network are under 5% load so it is hard to figure out what is going on exactly. If you can test the whole site and determine if it is just the forums or not that will help.
Old 10-21-2003, 10:07 AM
Tattoo

worse case scenario is to use the old software. Not ideal because it lacks alot of stuff but we know it can be fast at least
PLEEEEEEEEEZE DO!!!

I would like to word this constructively, but it would be hard. I guess the bottom line condensed statement (strictly my opinion) is that RCU has become cumbersome and uncomfortable to visit. My 1 hour+ daily "hang out" time here on several subscribed topics is now about 5-10 minutes of simply "checking" one topic. It's not bad, so don't get me wrong. It's just slower loading, scroll scroll scroll, and the daily liveliness of the old RCU is going away... resurfacing at other forums, especially Torque Roll and RC Groups. The other places have the crisp speed and simplicity forum junkies like myself look for when we speed surf for our daily R/C fix. In comparison, and this happens at work and at home...the browser spends a lot of time "spinning it's wheels" trying to load the entire page...and hitting "back" to go back to a topic index is the worst wait. Put that on top of the scrolling on every screen...and it gets tiresome. Especially when you check multiple forums every day. It's just too easy to move on. I could go on with other observations of the traffic elsewhere, but I think I'll leave it at that. One big thing I've noticed is a lot of fragmentation, which is a shame. Many of the big names in different R/C discliplines that used to cross-topic their knowledge here have moved away to more spicific topics on other forums. It's like the depth of the "melting pot" of info is declining here. This is the first hint that I've heard of maybe going back to the old RCU, and I for one would welcome it. I think it would be a great save.
Old 10-21-2003, 01:05 PM
plane_pilot

When I view post or move in and out of threads, it takes around 5-10 seconds for the page to load before I can browse. That is every click or back button pressed. I can view other sites at the same time with no wait. I really makes for some frustrating viewing, not to mention wasting time!!!! And that's my employers time ;-)
Old 10-21-2003, 06:32 PM
mvigod
Banned

We will be trying to fix this and if we cannot we will revert the forums back to the old vbulletin (highly customized by yours truly) version that the old site was based on. Please keep an open mind as it may be possible to fix all the issues with this codebase we have here so it looks, feels and moves as fast (or faster) than the old site. It is not impossible but if we cannot figure it out timely then I'm not one to get stuck on things that just won't work. I will give them a more than fair chance of getting worked out but if not possible there is a time to call it and do whatever is necessary.

I can load pages in under 1 second here on my system. The functionality issues will be fixed in the next 24 hours so that will be HUGE. Then there will be a few minor things and most important of course is speed.
Old 10-21-2003, 09:03 PM
easysport
My Feedback: (2)

Personally it seems to me that the sight is faster today than any previous time I have been here and I am at 28.8(work) connection so I dont see it as much of a problem.Yes the graphics can slow things down a little mabey you can code an option for us to view without graphics for the forum guys who just cant wait 3 more seconds for a page to load.
Old 10-22-2003, 01:39 AM
IronZ

You should be able to tell your browser to not show images. Probably depends on what your using.
Old 10-22-2003, 10:36 AM
dr_wogz

There are a few options in the 'settings'. some to improve the site speed..

(And that's always been a personal gripe with these 'easy' compuiters: Your boss or IT department show up, and install new software / an upgrade. then they expect you to be imedeately faster and more productive. They always fail to realize, that with the new software / upgrade, many things have moved, changed, been tweaked, and gennerally don't work teh same as they once did. So, as you're tryin to meet an ever encroaching dealine, where does one find the time to 'play with' this new version / software?! and go though the 'what's changed documentation / orinetation tutorial'?!)

said my bit..
Old 10-22-2003, 11:07 AM
plane_pilot

Still slow on my end. I'll have to check when I get home tonight just to try another connection. But in the past I have seen the same results at home and work. I also notice that the first time I go the this site in the AM, it takes longer (Over 10sec.) than later tries??
Old 10-22-2003, 12:27 PM
mvigod
Banned

plane_pilot - whole site or forums only? important to figure out if this is specific to one or the other.
Old 10-22-2003, 12:45 PM
bla bla

The Forums! They're to heaavy, cumbersome and over burdened with graphics and ads. The rest of the site is, well just great! An electronic/interactive magazine... exactly what the internet should be used for...congrates'
The forums are for chating.period. Make 'em simply and fast!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.