Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Universe Support > Suggestions
Reload this Page >

we need a chatroom!

Community
Search
Notices
Suggestions Have a suggestion for a feature, new category or anything else? Let us know by posting it here!

we need a chatroom!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2006, 07:30 PM
nitro freak06

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default we need a chatroom!

ok rcu your a good site and all but.... man you need a chatroom! theres only one site that i know that has a chatroom and thats one18th.com and well... there chatroom sucks.. lol sorry theres not many people there to talk to and this site in number one so why dont you put in a chatroom? and if it cant be to hard to put in seprete rooms like yahoo does and aol and so on, oh and one more thing can you also make it where the people can create rooms? well i hope you can do this for me.
Old 01-29-2006, 08:01 PM
Lightfoot
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: we need a chatroom!

This has been discussed at least 20 times in the past four (4) years. Do a search for the word "chat" in this forum. There are several reasons that the administrators have not added a chat room, not the least of which is that the membership as a whole does not want one. There have been several polls to get a feel for what the membership wants and it has been the consensus that it is not wanted. There are other reasons that the administrators have given but if the membership showed a strong desire for a chat room, they would give it a strong consideration.

I would suggest that you read the previous threads on the topic rather than it being rehashed here again.
Old 01-29-2006, 08:06 PM
nitrofreak06
My Feedback: (17)

ok i will, what if i can make a poll for a chatroom, how many people or percent of the people that is a member to say yes to a chatroom?
Old 01-29-2006, 08:48 PM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Micro RC Racing Owner Shane

ok i will, what if i can make a poll for a chatroom, how many people or percent of the people that is a member to say yes to a chatroom?
I hope you don't waste your time.

The resources required for a chat server are extensive, and are better reserved for the purposes of this site. If the RCU staff were to add resources, I would hope they would serve the forums, rather than a chat feature.

Chat (Internet Relay Chat) providers, however, are easily found. Just try Dal.net, Starchat.net, Undernet.net, or any of the others, and you will find your free chat facility.

Good luck,
Dave Olson
Old 01-30-2006, 12:02 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

There are a lot of things that RCU may need, but IMHO a chat room is definitely NOT one of them. One of the biggest reasons why a chat room isn't on the horizon is because of archival of information. EVERY thread ever posted on RCU is still out there and can be researched. But a chat room will present an area where information can be put out and it will not be kept on record. This archival of information is one reason why RCU is great. You can come on here and find information without having to ask people who are around at the time, this is something that a chat room can't offer.

And seeing other chat room's on other forums it's something that I don't think will fit with the "family friendly" atmosphere of RCU. Unless there is somebody to babysit the room 24 hours a day it will get out of hand, and I know that the owners of RCU want this to be a place where the whole family can visit. And I don't even want to mention the predators that lurk on chat rooms.

That's my 2 cents worth.

Ken
Old 02-27-2006, 07:33 PM
kolban

I was surfing through RC Universe (which has now become my #1 surfing location ... :-) and was thinking that I too would like a chat-room. Before posting on the subject, I decided to see if it had been brought up before ... so it looks like this may be a candidate for an FAQ if it has been raised 20+ times.

I do computer work for a job and have been watching Internet progress through the years. We went from dial-up, to cable/DSL ... from 14.4 kbps to now about 1.5 mbps. In the next few years we are going to leap forward again to about 6+ mbps. When that happens, real-time communication (audio and video) will become trivial.

Where I am going with this is that I could see me and other like minded Kit or Scratch builders having our laptops or computers in our workrooms showing in real-time what we are working upon. The Webcams are now dirt cheap (<$30) ... combine that with being able to show (as opposed to describe) a question or comment ... it would be great.

...but ... after reading the comments here ... I am now not so sure that a chatroom is warranted. As was mentioned. Having an archive of what was said and having moderators .... does have an awfull lot of goodness to say about it. In addition, reality is pretty much showing me that we have a great bunch of people at RC Universe and that if a good question is posed, a good discussion will result and the postings don't starve for an answer.

Neil
Old 03-07-2006, 01:08 PM
rclooney

As long as it's OK with Marc and the ther RCU dudes, I can run a chatroom for RCU on my sever, once I get it co-located. I can't guarentee anything yet, but I would be wiling to put the time into it. There may be problems if it got massivly big, but I will look into that if it ever happens.
Old 03-07-2006, 03:04 PM
rjm1982

I think what rcu should do is put the info to a server (IRC) in the appropriate forums as a sticky. Then they can do the whole "what happens there is not our problem" disclaimer.

Then everyone can be happy.
Old 03-07-2006, 04:16 PM
mvigod
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We are still leaning away from doing the chat thing here. the forums are good because they create archives of information and with the # of users here responses are generally extremely fast