Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Universe Support > Suggestions
Reload this Page >

Outlaw Flyers Forum

Community
Search
Notices
Suggestions Have a suggestion for a feature, new category or anything else? Let us know by posting it here!

Outlaw Flyers Forum

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2006, 12:49 PM
rsallen13
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Outlaw Flyers Forum

Has any thought been put in to starting a Outlaw Flyers forum for those flyers who do not fly at organized clubs or who do not wish to belong to the AMA?
Old 02-11-2006, 11:21 PM
Nathan
Administrator
My Feedback: (12)

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Outlaw Flyers Forum

My guess is it would be a pretty small group of people, not enough to sustain a forum.
Old 02-12-2006, 12:04 AM
Lightfoot

I can't imagine what would be discussed in an outlaw fliers forum that could not be discussed more appropriately in one of the other many forums.
Old 02-12-2006, 09:26 AM
rsallen13

There are only about 150,000 AMA Members and simple economics would indicate that there would have to be significantly more non-AMA members to support this hobby. 150,000 people cannot possibly support Tower, Horizon and all of the other RC Flying related manufactures out their. A forum for these individuals to network might get a lot more activity than you think. And Lightfoot that is exactly one of the same reason that was given before they started the AMA forum.

You might try it. It is only one forum. If it doesn't get the activity you think it should get you can turn it off or merge it back into another forum. if you need a moderator for it I would be happy to help and I'm sure that their are a couple of others who would be happy to moderate it, too.
Old 02-12-2006, 12:23 PM
mvigod
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since all our forums are open to ama and non ama members aren't they all essentially meeting places for modelers of all types regardless of ama affiliation? the only reason the ama forum exists is to discuss ama issues
Old 02-12-2006, 04:11 PM
rsallen13

I was just thinking that a forum dedicated to Non-AMA and Outlaw (ie non-club flyers) where they can discuss the issues that specifically effect them would be a nice addition to the site and sections like the AMA forum and the MAAC forum. I specifically remember that same argument and being told that was what the Clubhouse forum was for before you started the AMA forum.

Just a suggestion that has been brought up in the AMA forum as a response to some of the non-AMA/Park Flyer bashing. Its your site and you make the final decision but I think that this type of forum, if properly moderated, would be a plus.

I hope you change your mind.
Old 02-12-2006, 04:46 PM
the troll
Banned

ORIGINAL: rsallen13

I hope you change your mind.
I would like to see a place where non AMA sites could be compiled and talked about also. There are quite a few around here that are very RC friendly but discussion of them just gets lost in the sea of the perceived mainstream. Who knows, there may be a lot more out there than many suspect.
Old 02-12-2006, 06:01 PM
rsallen13

It makes sense. The one thread in the AMA forum has close to 350 posts over 14 pages and close to 6500 hits and that is just the one recent thread.

I think they should give it a test run. If it turns into flame central then shut it down. I remeber when the AMA forum started out and if I remember correctly you where there. It wasn't exactly the model of decorum and I think that is when you changed your handle to "The Troll". And look at it now. It is still flame central from time to time but it has served a purpose.

With park flyers and "Outlaws" the would like a place to discuss items such as local flying spots. Who knows from this might actually result in the formation of some "unoffical" E-clubs at local parks. At some goods information might actually get to some of the new park and outlaw flyers.

Lets try one of the more infamous ways of stirring up debate in RCU. An infamous poll. Look in the "Club House" and lets see where it goes.
Old 02-13-2006, 09:23 PM
mvigod
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

we rule nothing out here
Old 02-14-2006, 04:02 PM
lkaras1
My Feedback: (20)

With park flyers and "Outlaws" the would like a place to discuss items such as local flying spots. Who knows from this might actually result in the formation of some "unoffical" E-clubs at local parks. At some goods information might actually get to some of the new park and outlaw flyers.
I think that would be a great idea.
Old 02-17-2006, 09:18 PM
rsallen13

As of today: 5 days, 97 posts and close to 1000 view just on whether on to we should have the forum. Regardless of the skewed poll that the AMA "Regulars" I think that this has at least opened an opportunity to see where it can go.

I'm done posting on this subject in the club house and here, but if you decide to do it the offer to help moderate it still stands. And as for checks and balances I nominate BasinBum to be one of the other moderators it he would accept.
Old 02-17-2006, 11:03 PM
lkaras1
My Feedback: (20)

Well said. I for one would like to know if there are any other "Outlaws" in my area. Would love to fly with them
Old 02-18-2006, 12:15 AM
BasinBum
My Feedback: (2)

Why not start some of the threads that would be appropriate for your proposed forum and see if they fly. That would be the most persuasive argument of all to convince the powers that be.
Old 02-23-2006, 05:39 PM
BasinBum

So far, having watched the "Outlaw and Idependant Flyers" thread in the Clubhouse it seems that there couldn't be LESS interest in the topic. I'm sure two people here will argue the point because it's more about the arguement than the actual desire to see a forum started but the complete lack of participation and the glaring omission of new topics make the forum a non issue.

All anyone wants to do is debate clubs v.s. non club fliers and that discussion goes nowhere fast.
Old 02-23-2006, 09:15 PM
rsallen13

I agree with basin. It was a good idea but it is going nowhere. Maybe another day.
Old 03-07-2006, 11:07 PM

OK, I feel I need to ask - and hopefully I don't get any long confusing answers, or start any arguments! Keeping in mind, I am new to boards, & I do have my AMA # (my user ID).

I am not sure what all the fuss is about, - "Outlaw and Independent Flyer's", club, and non club members? where I live there is no clubs in a reasonable drive time, I think it would be great to start one, so I am in the process of doing so, and AMA's package may make most of my problems seam minor...

However, I think there more to this (topic) than than what's posted in this thread, seams like some where, some how, some one was wronged, and continues to have a beef... Can some one explain the hole thing to me, so I can try and get a better understanding of what's going on in this hobby?
Old 03-07-2006, 11:43 PM
BasinBum

That's a legit question and one I don't have an exact answer for. You'd think some people were wronged by the AMA to have such a disdain for the organization but I havn't read many accounts of that being the case. I think some folks just don't like rules or authority when it comes to their freedom to enjoy the hobby the way they want. I think a lot of folks confuse a particular club that where they had a bad experiance with the AMA. Some people get into the details of what the AMA does or doesn't do and have problems with that stuff as well.

I support the AMA although see room for improvement and think if you want to form a club the AMA is a beneficial way to go.
Old 03-08-2006, 10:55 AM
the troll
Banned

ORIGINAL: 853633

OK, I feel I need to ask - and hopefully I don't get any long confusing answers, or start any arguments!

Can some one explain the hole thing to me, so I can try and get a better understanding of what's going on in this hobby?
Here goes. Please keep an open mind.

From my perspective; I am an active AMA member and as such belong to multiple clubs and even serve as an officer on one at this time and I have served other positions within other clubs as well.

The rational; I have seen first hand the predisposition of many (most) AMA clubs and virtually all AMA members that the privilege of RC modeling is bestowed by the AMA. That perspective is in error and is simply not true.

My position; As an AMA member I believe that I should make every effort to support the hobby first and foremost and then the AMA. I believe ultimately the hobby and the AMA will benefit from that priority.

Action I take; support ALL that desire to participate in the hobby regardless of aircraft type, flying disciplines or one's chosen organization affiliation OR non at all.

The AMA is neither right nor wrong but just another choice.
Old 04-17-2006, 12:19 AM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Outlaw or Rebel flyers cannot post in other forums without being demonized and called freeloaders. I know first hand. Although I did find it gracious of Hossfly to name a thread after me. Oh well so much for trying to help out. That's what we rebels deserve I guess.
Old 04-17-2006, 05:04 AM
piper_chuck

ORIGINAL: CowboyLifesaver

Outlaw or Rebel flyers cannot post in other forums without being demonized and called freeloaders. I know first hand. Although I did find it gracious of Hossfly to name a thread after me. Oh well so much for trying to help out. That's what we rebels deserve I guess.
It still hasn't been shown what would be discussed in such a forum. Several times those advocating creating another forum have been challenged to create threads that would be good candidates for the new forum. So far it seems there's way more talk of creating a forum than actual talk that would be appropriate for a new forum.

Many small groups seem to do just fine in the Clubhouse, take the Malays for example. Why do the US based "outlaws" think they need special treatment?
Old 08-13-2006, 03:10 PM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Hey chuck we'd talk about all the fun stuff you can do with RC planes that the AMA limits regulates or otherwise has you under the thumb for. I.E. stuff that falls from the sky....etc......planes that go way too fast......jets without a AMA waiver....etc
Old 08-13-2006, 08:19 PM
piper_chuck

Are there restrictions here at RCU that prevents such discussion now? If you're talking about things that are widely thought to be dangerous then yes, these discussions might be inappropriate. However, RCU has members all over the globe, not just in the US. People talk about doing bomb and candy drops. The extreme speed prop plane forum talks about fast planes.
Old 08-13-2006, 08:29 PM
dshemelrick

Im for the forum, outlaw doesnt mean dangerous,im not an ama member but i have six planes no club afilliation ,own my own flying field where 8 other people non AMA fly,no dues and my field does have safety rules and a frequency board and safety fence a flyers area and an outhouse but we fly for fun no competitions and electric as well as gas and glow, less fighting and arguing, just for the love of, if we ever become a club or organization with memebership and dues and all the trimmings it would seem more of a job than fun flying and we police ourselves but do have certian guidlines that are agreed upon.