Community
Search
Notices
SuperTigre Engines Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions regarding the SuperTigre line of engines.

Super Tigre (made in Italy) Parts

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 04:25 AM
Homer712
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Super Tigre (made in Italy) Parts

Sorry if this question was already asked and answered. I have three Super Tigre engines (1-61 ABC, 1-61 Ring, 1-75 Ring) that I have had for years and love. I need to rebuild the 61 Ring (low compression) for use in a new airplane. The parts that I see on Tower Hobbies, are these for the current Super Tigre engines, or will the parts fit almost 20 year old Super Tigre engines made in Italy. Thanks.
Old 06-20-2011, 06:08 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Super Tigre (made in Italy) Parts

Any parts listed at Tower are for the current-production engines, however, they will fit quite a number of older engines of similar design. Which engines, specifically do you have? We need to know the exact model of each engine so that we can tell you if the parts available will interchange.
Old 06-20-2011, 06:39 AM
Prairie Mike

if you can't find the correct ring at Tower try

Contacting Frank C Bowman
1211 N. Allen
Farmington. N.M. 87401-3568
U.S.A
505-327-0696
[email protected]

He has great products with great results at a reasonable price.

I rebuilt an old Enya 61 with his rings.
Old 06-20-2011, 06:51 AM
Homer712

Bill,

I only have the original boxes for two of the engines, although the 61 Ring and the 61 ABC were purchased at the same time (goes way back, at least 20 years I would think) so their vintage would be the same.

1. S 61k ABC Code 11002727
2. S 75k Ring Code 11002670

Old 06-21-2011, 06:09 AM
Bax

Pistons and rings for the S-series engines are the same ones used in the current G-series engines. Several other parts also cross between engines. The .61's have more parts in common than the .75's.

It all revolves around which parts you need.
Old 06-21-2011, 04:27 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

ORIGINAL: Bax

Pistons and rings for the S-series engines are the same ones used in the current G-series engines. Several other parts also cross between engines. The .61's have more parts in common than the .75's.

It all revolves around which parts you need.
I cant find the post right now, but someone just recently was poking around for S90K parts. I thought someone had said the Ring and Liner are the same in the S90's and G90's for example, but the Piston and Rods are different and wont interchange between the S90 and G90.. SO.. If I needed a Piston, Ring, Liner, and Conrod for an S90K, could G90 parts be substituted? If not, why? Is the Crankshaft the same?

I personally dont need any parts but I would like to know what of the above list of parts will interchange and which ones I would have to hunt down should I end up needing them..

Old 06-22-2011, 06:46 AM
Bax

The connecting rod, piston, and crankshaft are for the G-90 only. The piston ring and liner will work for the S-90, and later engines. If you look up the parts list for the G-90, the parts that will interchange are marked as to the other engines they'll fit.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=SUPG0235&P=Z
Old 11-13-2011, 06:25 AM
Homer712

OK, I purchased the piston ring (as well as other parts, screw take a real beating being remover after 25 years) needed and the replacement was rather easy. But I do have an additional question.

The parts lists that I have for my old Italian built engines shows a rubber gasket at the backplate of the engine. This gasket is also shown on the SuperTigre web site for both the G61 ring and G61 ABC versions as part number 22243637. When I ordered my parts from Tower I received this gasket as well. Problem is that when I took the S61 apart, it did not have this gasket, but instead, it had (although now well deteriorated) a thin paper gasket. Should I replace the paper gasket with the rubber gasket, are the paper gaskets still available, or is this item needed at all?

Thanks, Henry
Old 11-13-2011, 10:29 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

ORIGINAL: Homer712

OK, I purchased the piston ring (as well as other parts, screw take a real beating being remover after 25 years) needed and the replacement was rather easy. But I do have an additional question.

The parts lists that I have for my old Italian built engines shows a rubber gasket at the backplate of the engine. This gasket is also shown on the SuperTigre web site for both the G61 ring and G61 ABC versions as part number 22243637. When I ordered my parts from Tower I received this gasket as well. Problem is that when I took the S61 apart, it did not have this gasket, but instead, it had (although now well deteriorated) a thin paper gasket. Should I replace the paper gasket with the rubber gasket, are the paper gaskets still available, or is this item needed at all?

Thanks, Henry
I needed to replace a paper gasket on my s90k, I just cut one from regular inkjet printer paper. I stuck the backplate on my all-in-one printer/scanner and scanned the backplate. This gave me an exact copy that I just cut out with a scissors and Xacto knife. A thin film of rtv silicone on either side of the paper gives a perfect seal.

In my case, a gasket for a G90 would probably work, but the shipping would be more than the gasket itself. Just a thought.

Old 11-14-2011, 09:35 AM
Bax

Use a paper gasket. You can make one out of card stock, bakers' parchment paper, regular notebook paper, and so on. It's not critical, but you do need one to at least keep oil seepage down.
Old 12-27-2014, 01:53 PM
reelcountry

I have a ST G 60 and the brass ring split on the crankshaft. Will this motor run okay without this part? Or will I need a new crankshaft.
The crank has a # 1492 on it. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
thanks Dale
Old 12-29-2014, 09:26 AM
Bax

That brass ring was a spacer so that the crankshaft would be properly-aligned inside the crankcase. You cannot run without it. Unfortunately, that would have been on older engines that have not had parts for them for well over a decade. You'll either have to have one made or locate a "parts only" engine somewhere on the 'net'.
Old 01-10-2015, 06:36 AM
Stoneweapon

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a ST G 60 and the brass ring split on the crankshaft.
It should be possibl to re-manufacture this ring. It can be made of brass or aluminium. Some of my ST engines had this ring made of aluminium and some were made of brass.
Old 03-26-2017, 01:52 AM
flyboydale54

Frank Bowman no longer is in business! He retired and traveling the world with his wife. He does not sell any rings at all anymore. I found a new source of rings from a manufacturer in the UK that are equal in my opinion to Frank's.

New Source of Rings:
Gavin Carter
Phone: 07454929136
Email: [email protected]

He does "Reproduction & Custom made Piston Rings, Parts, Bearings & Mechanical Restorations". If you email him and ask for his 2 page ring list, he will gladly send you one. I purchased 2 DLE55 Rings so I would have a spare on hand because I had a DLE55 quit just as I was rolling out for take-off. The engine had no compression. Connecting rod needle bearing on the piston side started to disintegrate. The pieces bounced around on the Piston, slightly jamming the ring into the piston. His rates are reasonable and for those that sought Frank Bowman Rings, you now have an equal to buy from. He is located in the UK. I had my rings in a few days, surprising since they were shipped from the UK. He will answer any questions you have by email. He could be a source of Super Tigre self-manufactured parts, since he also does rebuilds of numerous engines including but not limited to Super Tigre Engines. His rings have a small end gap like Frank's rings, which results in a higher compression than factory stock rings. You owe it to yourself to check him out. It was a sad day when Tower Hobbies could not get parts anymore for the ST Engines. I love my Super Tigre Engines.

Last edited by flyboydale54; 03-26-2017 at 01:54 AM.
Old 02-12-2019, 09:51 PM
kablake

Default Took over Bowman business...

[QUOTE=flyboydale54;12320156]Frank Bowman no longer is in business! He retired and traveling the world with his wife. He does not sell any rings at all anymore. I found a new source of rings from a manufacturer in the UK that are equal in my opinion to Frank's.

This guy does great work, have purchased several rings from him, the is located in the US..

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzG4i1VGb5nXWV9WSTlsdWZOUzlKLTh6ZTJBdU5JTEV3SHNR/view
Old 02-13-2019, 01:28 PM
flyboydale54

Thumbs up Frank Bowman Rings:

[QUOTE=kablake;12502133]
Originally Posted by flyboydale54
Frank Bowman no longer is in business! He retired and traveling the world with his wife. He does not sell any rings at all anymore. I found a new source of rings from a manufacturer in the UK that are equal in my opinion to Frank's.

This guy does great work, have purchased several rings from him, the is located in the US..

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzG...JTEV3SHNR/view
Frank Bowman has sold his equipment and business to a person he is training to continue with making the Rings Frank Bowman used to make. So, I have recently found out, they are back in business.
Old 02-13-2019, 01:33 PM
kablake

[QUOTE=flyboydale54;12502330]
Originally Posted by kablake

Frank Bowman has sold his equipment and business to a person he is training to continue with making the Rings Frank Bowman used to make. So, I have recently found out, they are back in business.
This is the new guys website, he has been at it a while now..

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzG4i1VGb5nXWV9WSTlsdWZOUzlKLTh6ZTJBdU5JTEV3SHNR/view
Old 02-13-2019, 01:37 PM
kablake

Default ST S75K piston

I am in need of a piston (ringed) for my ST S75K. I have read that the piston is the same for the S, SK and G models. Any help would be appreciated. I would buy the piston or a parts engine if available..

You can email me at [email protected]
Old 08-22-2019, 08:52 AM
Zipperneck
My Feedback: (1)

Hello everyone,
I am currently looking for a couple ST 23cc parts.

Ring 22233777 and gasket set 22243766.

Can anybody help me with those?

Thanks!
Old 08-31-2019, 04:41 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Originally Posted by Zipperneck
Hello everyone,
I am currently looking for a couple ST 23cc parts.

Ring 22233777 and gasket set 22243766.

Can anybody help me with those?

Thanks!
Order a piston ring from this fella - this is Frank Bowman’s former enterprise. Bjorn Baal makes them now. Superb guy and stellar quality. https://rmjmachineworx.com/

For gaskets - cut your own from thick paper or use RTV silicone.
Old 09-01-2019, 08:03 AM
Zipperneck
My Feedback: (1)

Thanks! Will try to contact them.

Kind regards,Zip