Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Super Tigre X 45

Hi all,
    Ihave just bought a NIB older Super Tigre X 45 and was trying to get some information on this beast.

I believe that they were a pattern engine in their day with a longer stroke than its smaller X 40 speed based cousin.

Can you still buy rear exhaust mounting stubs from anywhere?

Thanks for any info provided.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Super Tigre X 45

Ok, I see now.

Its old, no longer in production and nothing is known about it - at least that is what 3 hours of trolling through old posts last night tells me.

But I thought that at least there was a personal opinion out there somewhere, oh well.

If it helps to pique some interest here, the engine is slated for a control line stunt model and will be modified with a (stunt) tuned pipe, fixed venturi, probably around an 11x4/5 prop and maybe lowering the liner if it won't behave at the lower end of the rpm scale.

Thanks.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The SuperTigre "X"series of engines were usually designed for high-RPM use, such as speed, boats, or RC Pylon racing. Later engines had the "X" designation, but this meant that they had a rear exhaust port. Low RPM may be problematic with that particular engine. They usually ran best when allowed to spin up.
    Bill Baxter, Manager Hobby Services/Futaba Service/North America
    3002 N. Apollo Dr. Ste. 1 Champaign, IL 61822 USA
    Service Phone: 217 398-0007
    Email: hobbyservices@hobbico.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Bax,
    this indeed is the rear exhaust ported engine and the target rpm will be no more than 11500 with the use of a 'stunt' tuned pipe.

These provide a cut off point beyond which the engine can not rev due to the return wave packing the transfer charge back down from whence it came.
    In other words the pipe is a limiter and they seem to be very useful on higher timed engines that need to be held back.

Control line stunt does not need anywhere near the power from its engine that RC does as consistency from a fixed throttle is the key more than anything else.
    The hope is that 'enough' power remains for the task ahead and about 1bhp should be more than enough - no idea what the original pumped out though but it would have to be double this with a full wave pipe and 20 000rpm on board!

Wish me luck.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Best of luck to you!
    Bill Baxter, Manager Hobby Services/Futaba Service/North America
    3002 N. Apollo Dr. Ste. 1 Champaign, IL 61822 USA
    Service Phone: 217 398-0007