Notices
SuperTigre Engines Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions regarding the SuperTigre line of engines.

Bearing removal 4500 and other questions.

Old 09-18-2003, 03:14 PM
mac49
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bearing removal 4500 and other questions.

Does removing the bearings on the 4500 require heating the engine up to 250 degrees to allow them to be slipped out of their housings and off the crank shafts?

Can the crankcase on this engine be TIG welded to repair a crack caused by sudden impact due to gravity.

Can individual carb parts be order from the US Supertigre distribute?

Thanks, Mark
Old 09-19-2003, 09:11 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Bearing removal 4500 and other questions.

Mark,

To remove the bearings from the front housing, you'll need to heat the case. They'll literally fall right out once the case is warm enough.

As far as welding the case is concerned, if you can get a good job done, we'd see no reason why you do it. Aluminum is notoriously finicky about being welded, though. You'll need to make sure the entire extent of the crack is welded, otherwise it will continue to "travel" as the engine's run.

As far as parts are concerned, availability is spotty at the moment. The G4500 is one of the last to get into production after the move of the SuperTigre factory two years ago.