Notices
SuperTigre Engines Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions regarding the SuperTigre line of engines.

ST 2500 problems w/ flameouts

Old 08-05-2002, 03:01 AM
deckerv
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ST 2500 problems w/ flameouts

Ok... I've been using Byron's ST fuel, and tried Red Max ST fuel, and from time to time, I get a mid flight flameout. The glow plug is fine, running a little rich, and it just flames out. Sometimes if I throttle back all the way it'll catch itself, but usually still quits, like the plug just losses heat all of a sudden.

I tried putting an OS 7d carb, and it helped the throttle transitions a LOT, but still flames out from time to time, and this can be flying straight and level, or going vertical. It doesn't seem to matter. Any ideas??? This has been happening a lot, and my Goldberg Sukhoi's wing is finally in need of replacing because of this... too many flame out landings in the dingweed. (not to mention about $175 in cowelings and belly pans!!!!!!)

Love the big tigers, but need to tame this one!!
Thanks!!
Vo
Old 08-07-2002, 02:39 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Vo,

We'd like to help, but your note didn't mention the propeller you're using, nor the RPM you're running. We usually prop the engine to run in the high 7,000's when leaned to peak RPM on the ground. Any prop that will allow the engine to turn that RPM and fly your model the way you wish, it correct.

If your engine's had a lot of use, or possibly an overheat or two at some time, it's possible that the piston/liner seal is shot. That would contribute to a gradual overheating, which would cause the engine to quit.

It's also possible that your fuel system is slightly restrictive, and not allowing enough fuel to pass to the engine.

We hope this helps. Without specific details, or actually seeing the engine, it's hard to tell what might be wrong.

We hope you find this information helpful. Should you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us at this email address. (Please be sure to copy all previous emails into any future questions.)

DID YOU KNOW that our web pages now all contain FAQs? (Frequently asked questions) Please drop by and take a look! We hope you'll find the information helpful and valuable to you.

Sincerely,

Bill Baxter, Manager
Hobby Services
1610 Interstate Dr.
Champaign, IL 61822
USA

Phone: 217 398-0007
Fax: 217 398-7721
Email: [email protected]
Web: http://www.bestrc.com
Old 08-07-2002, 04:44 PM
deckerv

Thanks for the reply!! I'm not 100% sure what RPM it was turning, it was about a year and a half ago . I haven't run it since the plane is still in need of repair.

I'm running a TopFlight 18x6-10 prop, and a Bisson pitts muffler. It also did the same thing with the Slimline Pitts muffler, and the stock swing muffler.

Would a header tank like I use in Heli's help at all? I'm thinking probably not, but it doesn't hurt to check I'm going to send it in for a checkup pretty soon, and rebuild the Sukhoi one last time . Can I send it in, even though it has an OS carb on it, or should I put the stock carb back on it?

Thanks!!
Vo Decker
Old 08-16-2002, 02:27 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

an 18x6-10 is a LOT of propeller for that engine. We'll use a straight 18x6 or 18x8. The 10 pitch is getting a bit high, and could be over-loading the engine. That'll help cause a gradual overheat and quitting.

You can send the engine to us, and we'll be glad to examine it. We'd prefer the stock carb, because we know exactly what to expect with it.

We hope you find this information helpful. Should you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us at this email address. (Please be sure to copy all previous emails into any future questions.)

DID YOU KNOW that our web pages now all contain FAQs? (Frequently asked questions) Please drop by and take a look! We hope you'll find the information helpful and valuable to you.

Sincerely,

Bill Baxter, Manager
Hobby Services
1610 Interstate Dr.
Champaign, IL 61822
USA

Phone: 217 398-0007
Fax: 217 398-7721
Email: [email protected]
Web: http://www.bestrc.com
Old 08-16-2002, 05:09 PM
deckerv

Thanks!!! I'll give the 18x6 a try first.. You guys/gals are the best in the business!!

Thanks again!!
deck
Old 02-12-2018, 04:34 PM
tfcupo

Smile flame out

A VP30 perry pump will solve this problem with os f glow plug
Old 03-10-2019, 01:30 PM
planenutzz

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

I have an old JMI 82 " P51D. this is the lineage that teh CJM P51 was developed from and dates back to late 80s or early 90s.It's a good flyer and I have it well decked out with scale goodies.

Last few years I have had nothing but engine woes, rebuilt the ST2500 once and have had multiple rough arrivals as a result or dead sticks on climb out.

Of note is that the model has a Cline regulator fitted which takes crankcase pressure via a one way valve to pressurise the tank to about 10psi and the regulator has the diaphram section from a walbro carb that allow suction from the carby to open the needle via the diaphram.

I've been experencing a huge dead band that I could not tune out, starts and idles up to fast idle fine but will not transition to full rpm. I had read these engine can glaze up and overheat causing the same symptoms so managed to track down a new in box engine as well as all the parts to rebuild, cylinder and liner.

So I fitted the new donk and fired it up on the bench. Ran like a dog with the ST carb and put the OS 7D on with just normal tank suction. Seems to be ok upright. Inverted though it played up. Tried a range of plugs and was out of the Mccoy MC-8 which this engine likes for inverted running for some reason.

So packed it away and forgot about it for nearly year, finally got some more MC-8 plugs and pulled it out again on Saturday.

Engine ran but very rich transition and kept quiting. Suspect the regulator supplying too much fuel as I could not tune it out. Also was not sure about my old OS 7D carb so fitted antother I have that has remote mixture control via a servo control. By this stage it was late afternoon and had had enough of it as I'm sure the neighbours were sick of hearing the engine and me swearing at it [img][/img] [img][/img]

Sunday after copius quantity of coffee I tried again but this time I got out my old cline regulator and inspected it. Had antoher diaphram and fitted that. Tried it and seemed to run quite well though could still be rich. I

Interestingly by pulling on the edge of the regulator it would lean out and go on song. Hmmmm suspect needle sticking open or possibly diaphram a bit stiff.

I'll get a new diaphram an needle from mower shop during the week but as it is now I could fly it. When it comes on song it is pulling like a horse.

You tube clip of it running.

fun and games!

cheers

P