Community
Search
Notices
SuperTigre Engines Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions regarding the SuperTigre line of engines.

1980 G20 SuperTigre Engine Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2005, 08:51 PM
baslico

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1980 G20 SuperTigre Engine Help

Can some please help. I'm new to the hobby and have a 25 year old Supertigre G20 engine that I'm trying to get going. The engine has been is storage for about 25 years, it has been run a handful of times in the early 80's. The engine was taken apart and carefully cleaned. I replaced the gas tank and fuel lines. I'm using 16% oil 5% nitro. I have replaced the glow plug twice. From a cold start the engine starts up fine and runs for a few minutes and then dies. I have tried adjusting both idle and high speed pins for hours but no luck. I'm starting to pull out the hair that I have left. Can anyone help me with this. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-20-2005, 10:11 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: 1980 G20 SuperTigre Engine Help

We'd like to help you, but we need more information. When you say you have a SuperTigre "G20", exactly which engine do you mean? SuperTigre once made a number of engines in the "G20" series, all of different displacements. For example, there were a G20/15 and a G20/23. The second number is the displacement...one was a .15, and the other a .23. Which engine do you have?

If you have a different engine, please check to see exactly which engine you have. It may sound a bit picky, but with the different design series of SuperTigre engines over the years, it does make quite a difference. SuperTigre has made "G" series, "G-20" series, "G-21" series, "S" series, "GS" series, "X" series, and so on. Each series has had several different displacements in that design series.
Old 04-20-2005, 11:21 AM
baslico

Bax,

Thanks for the reply. The info on the motor says G20 and below it 1970 and on the other side has a 23. Hope that helps.

Old 04-22-2005, 01:51 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You have a .23-size engine. You have the SuperTigre G20/.23.

That engine will likely need to use a fuel with at least 20%-25% oil content that's at least 50% castor oil. When that engine was designed, SuperTigre was using fuels that had those oil percentages, and the oil was 100% castor. That may be a key to your difficulties. Without proper lubrication, the engine will start, warm up, quickly overheat and die.

Your fuel just doesn't have enough oil, and it may be the wrong kind.

Bill Baxter, Manager
Hobby Services/Futaba Service
3002 N. Apollo Dr. Ste. 1
Champaign, IL 61822
USA
Service Phone: 217 398-0007
Email: hobbyservices (at) hobbico.com
Old 04-22-2005, 11:16 PM
baslico

Bax,

Thanks for the insight. I will try the fuel recommended. It's great to have help from experts like you. You have saved me from alot of frustration.