Notices
SuperTigre Engines Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions regarding the SuperTigre line of engines.

super tiger 3250 help

Old 11-02-2002, 07:57 PM
sicko69

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default super tiger 3250 help

OK i got the big cat running great but two problems there is a black Olly stuff coming out of the muffler after it sits and the other thing is that the motor sages when i point it at the sky and the motor never comes back on rpms it is running a 20-10 apc and 10% wildcat 80-20 mix with 16% oil 7000 rpms is where i have it set using a 8# os plug it is now cooler out when i was running the motor 45 out side any any help would be great from Bill or Annmarie thanks Dino
Old 11-05-2002, 03:58 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Sicko,

The fact that the oil residue coming out of the exhaust is dark may just mean it's getting burned in the muffler. The only way to tell is to capture some on a piece of white card stock and then check for metal particles. If there's nothing but oil, then your oil's getting burned in the muffler.

If the engine runs well in the normal position, but sags when you point the model's nose up, then either the high-speed needle's too lean, there's not enough pressure to the fuel tank, or the fuel tubing's too small.

As glow engines get larger, they use more fuel, and we tend to forget that a larger fuel line may be needed. This also means that the clunk in the tank, the clunk line, and fuel fittings on the tank have to be larger. With high fuel needs, a too-small fuel line impedes fuel flow, so the engine can go lean if anything happens to slightly restrict the fuel flow. Pulling to vertical makes the engine work harder to draw fuel, so if the tubing's a bit small, the engine will go lean.

You'll have to do some careful detective work to see which is exactly the problem.
Old 11-05-2002, 05:51 PM
sicko69

Default super tiger

thank you for your reply will look into it Dino
Old 02-02-2003, 05:00 PM
ddd

Default Saging 3000 Tiger

Don't mean to offend here but it appears that someone must come to this poor engine defense.
1. A 20 X10 is for a ST4500 not a ST 3000 a 18x8 is your prop. Your engine was made to run at 7500 Rpm + Your frying the poor thing.

Lets talk black goo. This is caused one of two thing.
I: Not enough oil causing it to burn away not carring heat off and lubricate the space between piston and liner. In you case ring and liner causing the piston to over expand and wear its surface off against the liner. The black is aluminum.

2: Less likley but possible, some manufactures of glow fuel a used soy bean oil in their fuels. Soy been oils were evaluated by Dave Gerkie in a piece he did for MAN back in the 60's and found it had very good high temperture limits but formed high carbon deposits in the engine making it unaceptable as carbon is an insulator and leads to futher heat build up. No oil should ever carbon your engine when burned. Castor leaves brown varnish and synthetic leaves nothing that why the two in concert work so well.
Old 03-04-2003, 01:35 AM
rogue-RCU
My Feedback: (2)

I Have a ST 3250 in a Midwest Cap 232. I use a zinger 20-10 pro prop and use wildcat supertiger mix fuel at 5%. The engine runs great, starts on the first flip . it is a real powerhouse.
Old 03-04-2003, 12:43 PM
sicko69

Default super tiger

gave up on it went to gas thanks for the reply and yes a 20/8 ran fine but it would crap out at half tank and lean also oh well still have will see about putting in something else
Old 03-04-2003, 02:03 PM
ddd

I stand by what I said about what prop for what engine. I will give you this analogy. A guy can tow a one ton boat with his VW beatle, how can he do that? Easy he live on the top of a hill and its all down hill, someone else drags it up for him. If your plane weighs 10 or 12 lbs and the tigre is out in the open on a firewall the engine can run very rich and still fly the plane without over heating. If all you had to do is use bigger props then and engine was designed for the company's that make engines would simply cut their line of engine down as they wouln't need to produce bigger ones.

Please don't respond to this unless your name is Baxter
Old 05-09-2003, 08:12 AM
negy1

i have two 3200 super tigers both in 76 intch extras i have found 18x10 master airscrew to be spot on doesent bogg down in the verticles
Old 03-30-2004, 01:40 PM
im4rc
My Feedback: (12)

Default RE: super tiger 3250 help

I have a Super Tiger 3250 in a Patty Wagstaff X-tra 300. Initially the engine ran fine, but one day I noticed that there wasn't any compression. I dis-assembled the engine and found what I beleive to be carbon in the ring groove. I cleaned this out, reassembled the engine & it seemed that everything was back to normal. I had great compression, but the engine won't lean out with the needle valve. It seems to be running rich, but no matter what I do, it doesn't seem to help. I have checked the tank, fuel lines, carb, etc. I have been running this engine on 5% Cool Power ....... Anybody have any suggestions?
Old 04-02-2004, 10:08 AM
RLDIII
My Feedback: (1)

DDD,
Just curious, but do you OWN a ST 3250, (not to be confused with the 3000 you referred to in your post)? The reason I ask is that I have owned both (still have the 3250), and can honestly say that even though they look very similar, they act very different. My 3250 will most definately turn more "lumber" than my old 3000. The other thing I have noted is that the 3250 makes it's maximum torque in the mid 7K range (7K static should allow for a little unload in the air and get him right in that range) and mine seems to pull best when I prop it in that RPM range. Don't get me wrong, my 3250 has certainly presented it's own unique challenges to work through, but IF he was in fact turning the 20 x 10 @ 7K without being overly lean (and I agree, it sounds like he might have been), then I'm just not sure that the prop size is necessarily his only problem. I am not alone there as others I have flowm with have used up to 20" props on their ST 3250's (once they were well broken in).
Old 04-02-2004, 12:13 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Because this is not a discussion forum, we're going to close off this thread, but we're going to leava a few notes..

We've done test runs on the G3250 with an APC 18 x 10 prop and see RPM ranges, after a thorough and careful breakin, of up to 8,100 RPM at the very peak. We normally see about 7,800-7,900 RPM. The engine can easily be run consistently as low as 7,400 RPM with a slightly-larger prop. Lower RPM would not be recommended unless you have very good cooling. Our tests are normally done with normal Omega 10% fuel, which is what we run through every engine that comes through our shop, except some of the more exotic engines. If you're going to use a low-oil "SuperTigre Fuel" with this engine, then we'd strongly suggest that the majority of the oil be castor, and that you go no lower than 12%, especially if you're running the larger props.

(edit to fix typos)