Community
Search
Notices
SuperTigre Engines Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions regarding the SuperTigre line of engines.

Prop recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2005, 06:00 PM
desmobob

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Prop recommendations

Hello Mr. Baxter,

I was just curious as to Super Tigre's prop size recommendations that some would consider underpropping. In particular, I'm referring to the recommended 9.5x6 or 10x6 on the G-51 and GS-45.

Are these the best props for these engines? (I prefer APC props)

Thanks for any suggestions,
desmobob

Old 12-19-2005, 11:23 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Prop recommendations

The propellers listed are not the "best" propellers, but suggestions. Smaller props would be more suited to racing airplanes, where maximum RPM is desired. For the GS45 and G51, we'd use an 11 x 6 or 7 prop, or 10 x 7 or 8. Start with those. You'll need to try different propellers to see which one works best for your engine/airplance combination.
Old 12-19-2005, 08:48 PM
desmobob

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Prop recommendations

ORIGINAL: Bax

The propellers listed are not the "best" propellers, but suggestions. Smaller props would be more suited to racing airplanes, where maximum RPM is desired. For the GS45 and G51, we'd use an 11 x 6 or 7 prop, or 10 x 7 or 8. Start with those. You'll need to try different propellers to see which one works best for your engine/airplance combination.
I've learned to be a little conservative with the APC props. I had a SIG Ultimate Fun Fly bipe with a Thunder Tiger .46 fitted with a Tower muffler. It would go vertical out of sight with a Master Airscrew 11x5 prop. With an APC 11x5, it didn't perform as well. It just couldn't quite get "on the pipe" with the APC prop on that high-drag model.

I have G51s in a Kyosho P-51D ARF (stock ST Silent Muffler) and a Great Planes P-51D kit w/retracts (Slimline Pitts muffler). I have been happy with performance with an APC 11x5 or 10.5x6. I haven't tried anything else yet, but when Spring gets here, I'll try for some speed with the slipperier GP Mustang with a 10x7 or 10x8.

I was curious as to whether I was missing out by not trying one of the small props recommended by Super Tigre.

Thanks for your help,
desmobob