Community
Search
Notices
SuperTigre Engines Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions regarding the SuperTigre line of engines.

.51 Engine Performance

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2006, 10:53 PM
cooperfly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default .51 Engine Performance

this is my second .51 Super Tigre - I m very happy with the overall performance but would like to get a lilltle more power - I am running 12 x 4 prop with 15% cool power

I was thinking of buying tuned pipe but not sure which one to get and would I gain much.

Any help is appreciated

thanks

coop
Old 11-08-2006, 12:55 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: .51 Engine Performance

While the SuperTigre G-51 is well-tuned to give excellent power just as it is, you may be able to eke a bit more by using a fuel with a slightly-higher nitro content, but you may also have to add a cylinder head gasket to reduce compression to prevent detonation.

Almost any tuned pipe for .45-.50-size engines will do the job. You may be able to get 500-1,000 RPM more at full throttle when the pipe's properly-tuned. If you want more power at lower throttle settings, then piping won't be the way to do it. Tuned pipes work in a rather-narrow RPM range, and if you tune a pipe for a lower throttle setting, then it won't be anywhere close to help at full throttle, and would tend to make the engine run too lean at high throttle settings.
Old 11-08-2006, 11:14 PM
cooperfly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: .51 Engine Performance

Thanks bill for the reply and info

coop