Notices
SuperTigre Engines Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions regarding the SuperTigre line of engines.

G-2300 with bisson pitss mufler

Old 03-25-2007, 02:07 PM
niche
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default G-2300 with bisson pitss mufler

Hello
I am about to buy a bisson pitts style muffler for my supertigre g-2300
Would I have any troubles with muffler pressure to have my engine running smoothly?
I read somewhere that maybe I must have to tap one exhaust to have proper backpressure, is that true?
Thanks in advance
regards
Omar
Old 03-25-2007, 05:46 PM
JWQ500RC
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: G-2300 with bisson pitss mufler

Niche

I have a ST2300 with bison muffler, and I had to crimp off one of the exhaust tubes to get enough back presure. It runs great now, but couldn't get it to run rich with both tubes open.
Old 03-25-2007, 08:46 PM
TCrafty

I've got a Bisson pitts on my 2300 in my Sukhoi. Fresh engine with less than a gallon of 15% run through it yet. I didn't have to plug off any exhaust, just used a Type-F plug. Ran great so far (I hope I didn't just jinx it!)

It idles at 2300 rpm for next to forever, smokes at idle, transisiton and wide open as it's just a tad rich. Winds out to about 8500 rpm with a 17X8 APC. I was very nervous about ST engines due to the amount of negative press I read here but decided to try it anyway. I was pleasantly surprised how it flew and ran. Heck, I'm even thinking of buying a new cowling for the Sukhoi! The main thing that I learned about these engines is that you have to sneak up on the tuning, don't just go 1/4 turns and expect to "find it". My engine may be the exception but it proves that it "could" happen. I like it. It flew great, transistioned fine in flight, has great vertical and came down under power. I'm satisfied but hey, maybe my standards are too low.
Old 03-26-2007, 07:55 AM
solarmusic
My Feedback: (1)

I agree with that . I have 3. Just make sure that the muffler bolts are good and tight with lockwashers at the head of the bolt . You may have to make a flat 3/16 or so aluminum spacer extension in order to get the muffler far enough away from the engine to clear the engine mount. Next...be careful to tighten the idle stop screw. These things tend to wobble loose and dissapear. I have a variety of set ups. I have one with one stack plugged. 2 with both open. If you lose the idle stop screw, do not dispare, just go in a couple of turns on the high end. All mine run well, all adjusted differently. I am running one with 15% Omega which is a no-no. But with a bit of a rich setting it turns about 9200. Like I said that's a no-no. I am running one on FAI fuel, no nitro at all. Runs rich at about 8400. I noticed that the bottom end can be a problem at first. If it wont rev up and quits, it could be the low end. The reccomended fuel is no more than 5%. They run great on 5% or less. Great engines. for about $125 on sale at Tower ( with a coupon ).
Old 03-26-2007, 09:42 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Please be aware that this is not a discussion forum. Only SuperTigre Support staff members can make replies to questions.

That being said, all of the above is basically true, except that you CAN use Omega 15% fuel in the G2300. If your engine's running well with that fuel, you're OK. Usually, though, 5% will work just as well, and save you a bit of money.

After-market mufflers really aren't "designed" to suit any particular engine. Usually, the maker takes a can size and makes sure it will bolt up to the engine on its label. So the one for the G2300 has a can and outlets that will allow the engine to breathe well, but won't necessarily be a good "fit" for all performance.
Old 05-17-2007, 09:34 PM
copperhead

I have a ST G2300 in my Sig Cap 231 EX, with bisson pitts, I was having n RPM issue, until I switched to a wooden 18x6 prop, all is now well, I found the heavier glass filled nylon props a bit heavy for the larger engines...just my 2 cents
Old 05-18-2007, 07:07 AM
n8kny
My Feedback: (4)

Mr. Bax,

I'm new to the hobby (about 2years now) and have several ST engines. I have a .40, .51, .61 and love them all! I also bought one of these 2300's for a QQ 72 Yak and plan to use a Pitts style muffler as well. One user mentioned changing the plug to an F type. What does this do to the engine?
Old 05-18-2007, 10:12 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The O.S. Type F glow plug is a hotter plug. It can sometimes help large engines with low-nitro fuels. It's just one of the many ways people adjust the running characteristics of their engines.
Old 05-22-2007, 01:31 PM
Prop_Washer2
My Feedback: (26)

I run "F" type plugs in all of my 2-strokes, they love 'em. I even have inverted MDS's with no onboard heat running just fine...