Community
Search
Notices
SuperTigre Engines Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions regarding the SuperTigre line of engines.

GS-40 Piston ring

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 06:20 PM
happypappy
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GS-40 Piston ring

Bax, I have a GS-40 that I use in Club 40 racing. It is only a few months old. I noticed that the compression seemed to be falling off some and even though the engine is under warranty and I could send it in I decided to put a piston & ring assy. in it myself so that the engine wouldnt be gone for a long time. I have a 30+ year background in two-strokes in the marine industry so theres no magic in these things for me, however.................these have to be the most fragile rings I have ever seen in my life!! I broke the first one and ordered a second. Was extremely careful with this one and it too broke. Went on here and noticed a couple of posts noting this also. In short I need a couple of rings and some sage advice! I opened the ring only far enough to slide over the lip of the piston and when I start on the other side of the ring, it breaks!
Old 06-04-2008, 09:44 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: GS-40 Piston ring

When you install a piston ring, first set it on top of the piston. Then hook one end of the ring over the side. Gently work the ring around its circumference. You'll be able to get it on the side of the piston. Then gently work it down to the ring groove. When it's in the groove, rotate it to make sure the ring gap is over the pin. You're done!
Old 06-04-2008, 03:19 PM
happypappy
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: GS-40 Piston ring

HI Bax, thanks, that is exactly how I did it. Have probably installed over a thousand or more on two strokes during my career so far and thats how we do it also. Look for the ring locating pin and slide one edge of the ring over the edge and line the pin up with the groove then go with the other end. Unfortunately with these, as soon as you try and open the second side to go over the piston lip it breaks 180 degrees to the ring opening. The first side goes perfectly each time. Still would like a couple rings if possible, you possibly have some from another batch which may not be as brittle. I assure you these are not being "horsed" onto the piston. Let me know if this is possible.