Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
Reload this Page >

Trex 550e Conversion (Electric to Nitro)

Community
Search
Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

Trex 550e Conversion (Electric to Nitro)

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 03:14 AM
Rodney C
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trex 550e Conversion (Electric to Nitro)

This question may have already been asked and answered before, if so I'm sorry Imissed it so I'm gonna ask again. Is anyone aware of a conversion kit that would allow convering a Trex 550(electric) to a 550(nitro)? I own a Trex 550e and admire the high quality parts Align uses but the flight time using6S, 5000mAh batteris is only about8 minutes, which isfraction of the flight time Iget on my RJXX-treme X50, which is nitro. Hence my curiosity about a conversion kit for the Trex 550e from electric to nitro. If no conversion kit isavailable what other 550 sized nitro kit with compatable parts would you guys suggest? I have alot of spare parts for the Trex 550eandwas giving some thought to the possibility ofsimply moving the electronics(servos, gyro, receiver) from the Trex 550e into a compatable nitroheli so my parts investment is not a waste. Any helpful infoyou guys are willing to share on this question/subject would be much appreciated.

Old 06-23-2011, 05:51 PM
Cleared2Engage

Default RE: Trex 550e Conversion (Electric to Nitro)

I'm kinda thinking a better bet would be to convert a nitro 600 down to a 550.
Old 06-23-2011, 10:01 PM
Rodney C

Possibly, but the goal is to go from electric to nitro, not the other way around
Old 06-24-2011, 01:20 PM
Cleared2Engage

What I meant was take a nitro 600 and shorten the boom and blades, making it a nitro 550
Old 08-10-2011, 11:02 AM
DCT129

IMO Way cheaper to use batteries and just buy more!!! And most nitro birds are very lucky to get 8minutes at about $4.00 per flight just for fuel ...!!!
But I love batteries!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And you don't have to worry about someone trying to close down your flying field because of making all that noise..[X(]
Old 08-12-2011, 05:34 AM
Rob2160

ORIGINAL: Rodney C

This question may have already been asked and answered before, if so I'm sorry Imissed it so I'm gonna ask again. Is anyone aware of a conversion kit that would allow convering a Trex 550(electric) to a 550(nitro)? I own a Trex 550e and admire the high quality parts Align uses but the flight time using6S, 5000mAh batteris is only about8 minutes, which isfraction of the flight time Iget on my RJXX-treme X50, which is nitro. Hence my curiosity about a conversion kit for the Trex 550e from electric to nitro. If no conversion kit isavailable what other 550 sized nitro kit with compatable parts would you guys suggest? I have alot of spare parts for the Trex 550eandwas giving some thought to the possibility ofsimply moving the electronics(servos, gyro, receiver) from the Trex 550e into a compatable nitroheli so my parts investment is not a waste. Any helpful infoyou guys are willing to share on this question/subject would be much appreciated.

8 Minutes is a Fraction of the flight time you get with Nitro?

Really? That got my attention.. how long do you get from Nitro?

I flew Nitro planes for over 20 years and 15 mins was the best I ever got from one..

I have flown nothing but electric for the past 12 months due to the cleanliness and lack of noise.. but as I said.. you got my attention with your statement..

Old 08-12-2011, 07:17 AM
Rodney C

My 50 sized nitro heli gives me an average or about 15 mins, per tank, which is nearly double the time Iget with the Trex 550e. Ialso have a Century Radikal G20, which does an average of about 20 mins per tank. Our flying field is not in close proximity to any residential areas so the noise is not really a problem here. My concerns are primarily related to flight time andfuel costs.
Old 08-12-2011, 03:57 PM
Rob2160

My 50 sized nitro heli gives me an average or about 15 mins, per tank, which is nearly double the time Iget with the Trex 550e. Ialso have a Century Radikal G20, which does an average of about 20 mins per tank. Our flying field is not in close proximity to any residential areas so the noise is not really a problem here. My concerns are primarily related to flight time andfuel costs.

Thanks, That is reasonably good getting 20 mins..

I live 30 meters from where I fly so I generallly take two helis out, fly them both, walk back, put them on charge, fly another two helis..... I have 8 x 450 helis and 2 x 550 size Gauis.

Between that lot and 5 chargers I can fly non stop all day.. (I don't even change batteries anymore, i just change helis... )

Thanks again for the info.. something to consider...
Old 08-12-2011, 10:06 PM
Rodney C

Yeah I guess that's one way around the problem :-) That wouldn't work for me because I have to drive a few minutes to our flying field and I have a small sports car. It's all can do to fit one 50 sized heli (in a carrying bag) on the front seat, the transmitter in a hard case and the field box with tools. Another concern I have is over the 6S brick Lipo batteries my Trex 550e requires. I've had the unfortunate experience of having a 3S Lipo burst into flames on my starter as I was starting my heli. Thank God it happened on a nitro heli and not one of my gassers . Although I still use 2S lipo's to power my reciever and other electronics, I'm always slightly paranoid and absolutely will not leave my lipo's charging if I'm not in close proximity. I guess these are just a few of the "ups and downs" of the hobby. LOL :-).

Old 08-12-2011, 10:11 PM
Rob2160

Yeah I guess that's one way around the problem :-) That wouldn't work for me because I have to drive a few minutes to our flying field and I have a small sports car. It's all can do to fit one 50 sized heli (in a carrying bag) on the front seat, the transmitter in a hard case and the field box with tools. Another concern I have is over the 6S brick Lipo batteries my Trex 550e requires. I've had the unfortunate experience of having a 3S Lipo burst into flames on my starter as I was starting my heli. Thank God it happened on a nitro heli and not one of my gassers . Although I still use 2S lipo's to power my reciever and other electronics, I'm always slightly paranoid and absolutely will not leave my lipo's charging if I'm not in close proximity. I guess these are just a few of the "ups and downs" of the hobby. LOL :-).

LOl.. yes, I understand.. your situation you need nitro for sure.. much more convenient.. so far i've been lucky... no problems with Lipos.. but I do treat them very gently.. rarely drain them below 20% and charge slowly(most of the time.. ) Good luck with your conversion
Old 08-12-2011, 10:27 PM
Rodney C