Community
Search
Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

Esc Choices

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 11:56 AM
paynezoo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Esc Choices

Hey guys im currently flying a 250 and my esc recently burnt out. Is there any esc that's quality but on the cheaper side? I was looking at this one... http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ntroller_.html ... that is quite the overkill but i think it would make sure a burn out doesn't happen again. Any suggestions?
Thanks
-Paynezoo
Old 12-27-2011, 10:56 AM
aircrash

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Esc Choices

Hmm, I would go for an RC Timer 30A esc or a Hobbywing Pentium 30A esc.
This would be an overkill for a 250 motor but to be on the safe side. It will be a bit heavy though. If that`s not a problem with your setup then OK. Do have in mind the size also. Anyway this esc is as big (or smaller) as the one you look at.
You don`t need more than 30A in any way, and 30A is too much actually. You must have a really bad motor so to need anything more than 20A, but to be on the safe side 30A is more than enough.
Those two esc are cheaper than the one you look at and better also. Way cheaper if you count the shipping cost also.

On the other hand your esc may have been burnt out of too much power consuption out of the servos, and not out of the motor consumption.
So in this case it is better to take a RC Timer ESC 20A plus a separate BEC, such as a 3ABEC. Still it will be a bit heavy combination but you will be able to run any servo without worrying about burning up the esc (and make additional damage).

In any case check if the gear mesh is right and not too tight and if there is not anything that is too tight so to spin. As this will overload the motor and this overloads the esc,