Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
Reload this Page >

HK-450GT CCPM Alloy T-Rex compatible - Part II

Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

HK-450GT CCPM Alloy T-Rex compatible - Part II

Old 08-06-2012, 02:36 PM
oldfrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HK-450GT CCPM Alloy T-Rex compatible - Part II

Hello all,

I am curious as to where others mount their ESC on their 450's. As of
now, I have been mounting mine perpendicular under the battery. I (TRY)
to fly HK 450's

Has anyone heard from aircrash lately ?, I haven't seen him around.

Roger
Old 08-06-2012, 02:40 PM
rikybob

ORIGINAL: oldfrog

Hello all,

to fly HK 450's

Roger
In front of the motor and ask Phil re: Shorts!
Old 08-06-2012, 06:16 PM
Ddaddy

Hello all,

to fly HK 450's

Roger
Under the battery tray...but moved to outside frame by battery because I had a motor shutdown and think it was esc thermal shutoff.

Ken

Old 08-06-2012, 07:02 PM
Kozzy_98

I mount mine on the bottom plastic plate towards the battery. On the GT, there are a few wavy grooves on the end of the tray where I put 2 cable ties!

On the MT frame there is a small plate under the tail boom which I am planning to use for an Rx or my ESC. I think my Rx should go there and my esc up the front on the bottom plastic plate for CG issues
Old 08-07-2012, 05:42 PM
rikybob

Hi all!

Put my backlight MOD in my DX7. Aside from me not being able to get the adhesive off of the LCD plate, it was a pretty easy project!

All the best!

b
Old 08-07-2012, 08:58 PM
Flying Fiz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I deny all knowledge!

Being Greek I understand he has turned up at the Olympics looking for the 450 clone building competition.
Old 08-08-2012, 06:50 AM
rikybob

ORIGINAL: Flying Fiz

I deny all knowledge!

Being Greek I understand he has turned up at the Olympics looking for the 450 clone building competition.
Heheh!

I sent him a note. Not like him to dry up like that!

b
Old 08-08-2012, 12:41 PM
Ddaddy

I was just outside flying and a skycrane flew by! Pretty cool as you don't see those every day! Wish I had a cam as it was in the same frame as my heli. Wonder if he saw me flying?
Old 08-08-2012, 12:49 PM
rikybob

ORIGINAL: Ddaddy

I was just outside flying and a skycrane flew by! Pretty cool as you don't see those every day! Wish I had a cam as it was in the same frame as my heli. Wonder if he saw me flying?

Hiya Ken!

Was watching one the other day lifting A/C units onto a "Lowes" (for you folks overseas it is a BIG BOX hardware store) and it was amazing to behold!

As a young man the Medivac helis used to land at our hospital where I worked sweeping floors and everyone who was free would walk over to the 2nd floor window to watch the beautiful, life saving marvel land and take off.

I'm still enamored by them to this day.

Oddly unlike my friends Rob, Phil and Simon, I don't wish to operate one!

Raining here!

b
Old 08-08-2012, 12:55 PM
mnemennth

Hey Bob!

Got back yesterday from Birthday visit with the in-laws just south of Houston; I survived it, but just by the hair of my... err, nevermind.

Saw yer shout-out on the video, made me snerk. Yeah, I get off on the wrong foot all the time. There's a reason I don't dance.

Anyhoo... I got a DEVO-7 with my Genius CP and it came with the backlight kit, but I had to install the backlight kit in my TGY-9X. I feel ya. I used to fix VCRs for a living; they're one of the most complicated bits of machinery ever allowed in the hands of the average public. But messing around inside these modern radios with all those tiny hair-thin wires and SMD components, and me with my big old ham-hands... I'm like J with the Noisy Cricket; I feel like I'm gonna sneeze and break the d@#n thing. I mean, I know how to do it, and I'm good at this kind of work. But it's still akin to rebuilding a distributor while balancing your checkbook and riding a bicycle across a tightrope. With monkeys.

Hey, BTW - do you have a build gallery of the Terror Pigeon? I'm curious to see how far you've developed the HK450; it was my first, before ALLthe others.

mnem
Build. Fly. Crash. Repeat.
Old 08-08-2012, 01:04 PM
rikybob

ORIGINAL: mnemennth

Hey Bob!

Got back yesterday from Birthday visit with the in-laws just south of Houston; I survived it, but just by the hair of my... err, nevermind.

In laws were placed on this earth to forever remind me of my redneck roots and to "keep me down". I hate the holidays for this reason!

Saw yer shout-out on the video, made me snerk. Yeah, I get off on the wrong foot all the time. There's a reason I don't dance.

You engineering types. Seriously, I think it is endemic of the group but just like anyone else. Once the veneer rubs off ya'll are closet maniacs like the rest of us!

Anyhoo... I got a DX7 with my Genius CP and it came with the backlight kit, but I had to install the backlight kit in my TGY-9X. I feel ya. I used to fix VCRs for a living; they're one of the most complicated bits of machinery ever allowed in the hands of the average public. But messing around inside these modern radios with all those tiny hair-thin wires and SMD components, and me with my big old ham-hands... I'm like J with the Noisy Cricket; I feel like I'm gonna sneeze and break the d@#n thing. I mean, I know how to do it, and I'm good at this kind of work. But it's still akin to rebuilding a distributor while balancing your checkbook and riding a bicycle across a tightrope. With monkeys.

I completely agree with your characterization. My father was an certified electronic technician (read: TV and appliance tech) and I literally grew up with a soldering gun in my hand! It skeeved me out a little to take my 6'4" mauls and pop the Tx once again (added friction to the throttle) and horse around in there last night, after supper, on a full belly when I could have been hangin' with my trophy wife, but I did. The only thing I didn't do was "roll off" the adhesive. I got worried about breaking that glass and that glue is like dog s h i t on your shoe and would not BUDGE so's I left it!

Like I thought, you can't see it in the sunlight but there is no reason to but it DOES remind me to turn my radio off!

mnem
Build. Fly. Crash. Repeat.

Glad to have ya, and think nothing of getting off on the wrong foot.

There is only one perfect fella among us and he is gone!

All the best!

b
Old 08-08-2012, 01:16 PM
Ddaddy

All the best!

b
Hey! Don't you remember? I came back!

Old 08-08-2012, 01:18 PM
rikybob

All the best!

b
Hey! Don't you remember? I came back![img][/img]

I always thought of you as "God like" Ken!!

b
Old 08-08-2012, 01:27 PM
Ddaddy

ORIGINAL: rikybob

All the best!

b

I always thought of you as "God like" Ken!!

b
LMAO

Hey, how was the club meeting the other night?

Old 08-08-2012, 01:39 PM
rikybob

All the best!

b

I always thought of you as ''God like'' Ken!!

b
LMAO

Hey, how was the club meeting the other night?

Hi again Ken!

Interesting, thank you for asking.

Picture 36 inhabitants of oh, say, any West Texas town. All races and a few genders represented. It looked like the bridge of the Star Ship Enterprise. It actually warmed my heart.

However these folks were the most unruly bunch and wouldn't let the board speak. It was election night and the obnoxious "Yankee" that put in for President got smacked down by the good guys! It was awesome!

What made the night was this redneck chick (middle aged, over indulged obnoxious redneck chick) who whould speak out loudly with non sequiturs all evening as if to say "Look at me, look at me ya'll need to look at me!"

My two favorite quotes from here were "I like stirrin' the pot, stirrin' the pot is what I do best" and the ever popular "Ya'll can't get rid of me, I'll sue ya"!

Funny thing is, is that the folks I'm around during the week days are cool as hell!

b

PS I finally saw Bert Kammerer!
Old 08-08-2012, 03:01 PM
oldfrog

Hey rikybob,

I'm just wondering what color backlight you installed in your radio. I installed
a blue one but in does not contrast well with the black LCD, so I ordered two
white one's now. Two just in case I have another ...OOP'S.

Roger
Old 08-08-2012, 03:25 PM
rikybob

Hey rikybob,

I'm just wondering what color backlight you installed in your radio. I installed
a blue one but in does not contrast well with the black LCD, so I ordered two
white one's now. Two just in case I have another ...OOP'S.

Roger
Mine is aqua colored and does real well!

Worthless in the sun but in more dim conditions like set up and oh, leaving the Tx on, it works great!

b
Old 08-08-2012, 03:48 PM
mnemennth

OldFrog -

This old dwagon mounts a HK Red Brick (I this is a 50A) transverse under the battery on his HK450GT; on my Hausler 450 the ESC comes mounted next to the radio on the outside of the chassis, which is a BAD idea due to switch-mode power supply/RF noise, so I moved it forward to the next frame "pillar". In general, it is a good idea to keep your entire Battery/ESC/Motor and associated power wiring as far away from the radio as possible to eliminate the possibility of ESC/EMF-induced radio glitching. I know some people prefer to relocate the ESC to change balance or to provide better airflow across the heatsink; I believe that RF isolation is more important, and that the weight of an ESC is small enough that one can definitely find better sources of weight to shift around. Airflow is easy to get; you just need to cut holes in the canopy.

The EXI 450Pro (Align 450Pro Clone) is faithful to the original Align blueprints which has a different nose, and is designed to have a uber-thin Align ESC installed under the battery tray inside the chassis plates (Yes, under the battery straps). I didn't have a similarly-proportioned ESC, and I didn't want to mount it on the side of the chassis, so I took my HK-SS50 and modded it a bit. I relocated the buffer caps and built a mounting bracket/heat sink that incorporated a bracket for the caps, as well as providing an extended perch for the battery pack. Don't taco my pack-o.

My personal opinion of the 450Pro design is that is is NOT necessarily a vastly BETTERdesign. It doesn't have the chassis rigidity of the HDX450, it has a LOT of plastic in structural areas. The "improved" head design doesn't improve therigidity of the servo/swash circle either. Any 450 with a Tarot 1-piece main bearing block is much more rigid in the entire frame; http://tarot-rc-heli.com/450-SPORT-DOUBLE-BEARING-BLOCK and the 450Pro design D@#N sure is a LOT more of a pain in the arse to assemble or to replace a servo (Hence the big holes bored in my battery tray).

What all their new design DOESdo is make the entire chassis much less "generic-parts-friendly". As long as you use the specified Align motor, servos, and ESC, everything goes together easily. Try their generic counterparts and you soon find that screw holes don't quite line up on the servo, your motor screw holes index the motor so that the wires strike one bulkhead pillar or the other, and you already know what I think of the ESC placement.

Anyways, I hope my suggestions and pictures help youwith your setup,

mnem
There are always more parts.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx70327.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	1790359   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf13098.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	124.5 KB
ID:	1790360   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb75181.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	1790361   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ic85154.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	1790362   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lw19617.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	1790363  
Old 08-08-2012, 04:19 PM
oldfrog

@ mnemennth,

Thank you for your input with the ESC location, it made me think about a servo twitch
that I'm having. I'm gonna move my ESC around a bit tomorrow and see if that eliminates
the twitching. The pitch servo is the one twitching...the ESC very near it.

@ rikybob,

I'm sure you'll like the backlight, it really helps to see the programing. My boss at
work gave me a roll of P.E.T tape that will protect the display screen on my DX6i, we use it on
the equipment at work,VFD (variablefrequency drive) to protect the screens from
silly people and their screw drivers.

Roger
Old 08-08-2012, 06:27 PM
mnemennth

OldFrog -

When I'm troubleshooting a twitchy servo, I'll use a servo tester powered by a battery; if you don't have one, in your case you could try powering your radio from a 6-v battery pack instead of the ESC. To make double sure, try swapping the pitch/aeleron servos at the radio or try plugging in a spare servo in its place. If the problem moves with the change in channels, then you have a radio issue; try a different RX to see if the problem is your RX or TX. If it persists on the same servo plugged into a different channel or radio, about 100% sure it's the servo.

First, I'd suspect the potentiometer inside the servo, or bad solder joints or broken/bare/frayed wires touching at the pot or PCB. If the wires look OK you can disassemble the geartrain, then squirt some denatured alcohol into the pot with a spray bottle and work the shaft back/forth to clean the wipers inside. Of course, if you're not a big fan of messing with tiny electronics and gears, then you've at least isolated the problem and now know which part to smash with a mallet... err, replace.

mnem
*Servo-motorhead*
Old 08-09-2012, 01:03 AM
ingleburn

Hi guys, well Im back from my adventure so time to get my mind off beer and hookers and back on helis. Will take a few days to recover and catch up on the happenings but hoping to get a few flights in tomorrow.
Wish me luck because Im going to need it.
@ Brian, all the girls said to say hello.
Old 08-09-2012, 03:39 AM
rikybob

ORIGINAL: ingleburn

Hi guys, well Im back from my adventure so time to get my mind off beer and hookers and back on helis. Will take a few days to recover and catch up on the happenings but hoping to get a few flights in tomorrow.
@ Brian, all the girls said to say hello. [img][/img]

Glad yer back and that you, presumably have ALL your organs!

Thanx for sayin' hi to the "Girls" and did you happen to see Simon there? He said he was on "Holiday" and I know what that's code for!

Happy flyin'!

b
Old 08-09-2012, 10:13 AM
rikybob

Went to the flying club today and had a nice time!

Got there @ 0830 and flew 3 packs of 500 and 1 pack of 450!

You do a LOT of BSing about all the "goings ons" and typically little flyin'!

I got to see Patrick fly again and "James" had a krazy crash of his 700!

There is a phenom about the big electrics that tend to cause the main gear to literally BLOW apart!

A main gear on a 700 is 50USD!! DOH!

Apparently much like a train electrics are waaaaay more powerful than the Nitro's!

Hope all is well i your worlds!

The crash resulted in a 200 + USD bill!

I could not afford to crash the thing! It's like one would need "Simon money"!

b
Old 08-09-2012, 01:36 PM
ingleburn

ORIGINAL: ingleburn

@ Brian, all the girls said to say hello. [img][/img]

Glad yer back and that you, presumably have ALL your organs!

Thanx for sayin' hi to the "Girls" and did you happen to see Simon there? He said he was on "Holiday" and I know what that's code for!

Happy flyin'!

b
Im sworn to secrecey.

Old 08-09-2012, 01:43 PM
ingleburn

Went to the flying club today and had a nice time!

Got there @ 0830 and flew 3 packs of 500 and 1 pack of 450!

You do a LOT of BSing about all the "goings ons" and typically little flyin'!

I got to see Patrick fly again and "James" had a krazy crash of his 700!

There is a phenom about the big electrics that tend to cause the main gear to literally BLOW apart!

A main gear on a 700 is 50USD!! DOH!

Apparently much like a train electrics are waaaaay more powerful than the Nitro's!

Hope all is well i your worlds!

The crash resulted in a 200 + USD bill!

I could not afford to crash the thing! It's like one would need "Simon money"!

b
Glad you had a good time at the club. Yes I think it would be more about the BSing and the oportunity to see others fly.
What do they say about your GT as Im sure if I went to a club all I would hear about is the virtues of buying brand names rather than clones.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.