Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
Reload this Page >

HK-450GT CCPM Alloy T-Rex compatible - Part II

Community
Search
Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

HK-450GT CCPM Alloy T-Rex compatible - Part II

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 02:07 PM
rikybob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HK-450GT CCPM Alloy T-Rex compatible - Part II

ORIGINAL: ingleburn

ORIGINAL: rikybob

Went to the flying club today and had a nice time!

Got there @ 0830 and flew 3 packs of 500 and 1 pack of 450!

You do a LOT of BSing about all the ''goings ons'' and typically little flyin'!

I got to see Patrick fly again and ''James'' had a krazy crash of his 700!

There is a phenom about the big electrics that tend to cause the main gear to literally BLOW apart!

A main gear on a 700 is 50USD!! DOH!

Apparently much like a train electrics are waaaaay more powerful than the Nitro's!

Hope all is well i your worlds!

The crash resulted in a 200 + USD bill!

I could not afford to crash the thing! It's like one would need ''Simon money''!

b
Glad you had a good time at the club. Yes I think it would be more about the BSing and the oportunity to see others fly.

Yah, it's the heat that screws you up more than the fellowship! You BS, fly, BS, fly and so on! I'm gradually getting used to flying a great distance down range and up as well. I will go next Thursday for THREE Thursdays in a row. I am developing a very torrid love affair with my 500! It is unbelievably powerful and EASY to see! Rare is the occasion one has a 450 out there!

What do they say about your GT as Im sure if I went to a club all I would hear about is the virtues of buying brand names rather than clones.

Here's the funny thing. Many of the folks have a "clone at home" and all use bargain batteries from, YOU guessed it! Hobby King! I spend my time being evangelical about the virtues of starting off with say a "Leaders Hobby" "All up" kit for 150 bux as a GREAT starter. Then if it "gels" with you push on up the ladder to more substantial parts at your LHS. But as I told the owners son at my LHS yesterday, starting off with a 1200USD 450 and computer radio and DITCHING same then not having the stomach/wallet to continue doesn't get someone in his front door. Recidivism has screeched to a halt at that point. I KNOW of which I speak!

When I tell folks I fly with great skill/confidence my two CP's with a 30USD CopterX 3X1000 they are, IMPRESSED! They are more impressed that you can get [link=http://www.targethobby.com/hobbymate-flybarless-3axis-fbl-gyro-for-250700-rc-helicopters-p-4162190.html]THIS[/link] for 1/3 the price of it's name brand equivalent!

Old 08-09-2012, 07:45 PM
mnemennth

Here's the funny thing. Many of the folks have a "clone at home" and all use bargain batteries from, YOU guessed it! Hobby King! I spend my time being evangelical about the virtues of starting off with say a "Leaders Hobby" "All up" kit for 150 bux as a GREAT starter. Then if it "gels" with you push on up the ladder to more substantial parts at your LHS. But as I told the owners son at my LHS yesterday, starting off with a 1200USD 450 and computer radio and DITCHING same then not having the stomach/wallet to continue doesn't get someone in his front door. Recidivism has screeched to a halt at that point. I KNOW of which I speak!

When I tell folks I fly with great skill/confidence my two CP's with a 30USD CopterX 3X1000 they are, IMPRESSED! They are more impressed that you can get [link=http://www.targethobby.com/hobbymate-flybarless-3axis-fbl-gyro-for-250700-rc-helicopters-p-4162190.html]THIS[/link] for 1/3 the price of it's name brand equivalent!

I know EXACTLY what you mean Bob. I got started with a used Align 450SE off of Craigslist; it was in good shape, the seller flew it for me before we closed the deal. It was complete, all Align sans battery & radio for $195. I took it home & floundered about with the OEM Manual I found online and lurking about the groups, then a lot of time TRYING to figure out how to set up my new TGY-9X (which I was lucky (?) enough to catch actually INSTOCK after clicking on a random ad for what seemed like an unbelievable price), then I found Mikey's RC and his setup videos and was able to at least get it set up to hover. For a few minutes. Then a sudden gust of maybe 5-7 mph wind pushed it into one of the trees at each corner of the yard, and massive trauma. The helicopter suffered, too. I put it all up for a couple months, then bought an Align 450V2 parts unit for $120, and again pieced them together into one flightworthy craft. Another nice day, this time dead still and I lasted several attempts and hops and jumps before I got in over my head and wound up digging a moat with the mainblades and cracking the same chassis half I cracked on the first one and stripping out two more servos, bent mainshaft, tailshaft, whateverelseyoucanthinkofshaft, etc.

At this point I was really frustrated so I got rid of the remains to a neighbor kid; they mocked me silently from their box on the top shelf. I kept the radio; I had 3 RX for it plus it would bind with all my cars and boats that ran on my FS-GT3B. Later, after building a couple electric ARFs from HK, I got an education into how much the parts I let go with those broken T-Rexes were worth, even the broken servos. Ah well. I REALLYdidn't want to mow the yard that month.

That's when I made the mistake of signing up for HK's mailing list; soon I had a dozen things on my wish list, and BAM! the 450GT knocked on my eMail with its tiny pricetag and shiny CNC work, and that was all she wrote. $60 for the kit and a motor & ESC. $100 for another plane and a bag of bits & bobs to finish the assembly. I had a brand new bird, ready to fly, for half what my used TRex cost. I kept it up; Build, Fly Crash, Repeat. STILL cheap... and it STILL kept me off the streets. And sober. Which made my wife Then I got the EXI 450Pro, cuz Mikey liked it. Twice as much as my HK450GT, but by then I had enough spares to finish it without buying anything but a cheap Gyro. I soon discovered the joys of shaft drive and excessive headspeed-induced blade-wrap on my shiny new CF tailboom... ouch.

At this time I discovered coaxials; bought a couple big ones, couple little ones, put the CPs on the shelf for a day with a little more experience under my belt. I SEVERELYmodded a DH9101 and a 9118; I STILLenjoy flying them every now and then. Then I tripped over one of the auctions from LeadersHobby for the glas/plastic Hausler/Aeolian 450 RTF. Won it for $79 shipped. Thin chassis and plastic aside, this bird was what got me back into CPs. It flew straight out of the box better than any of the ones I'd built myself; starting out with a radio that was configured close to right made understanding how to program a radio for CCPM SOMUCHEASIER.

On top of it all - my firsty actual dead-tree manual. That Hausler 450 manual... it is SOMUCHclearer and more straightforward than any of the Align manuals I'd downloaded; in my mind, THATALONEwas worth the price I paid, plus I got the same radio Mikey used in his vids, so I was able to go back and relearn what he was talking about in the radio setup. All in all, just for the education it was a massive bargain, plus I STILL keep flogging the heli. Yes, it's about as rigid as a wet noodle but it is also VERYforgiving to beginners, and the flex means the chassis doesn't break as easily. Plus, it is EASYto service; this bird was designed to be easy to take apart. Which I do. ALOT.

I know you guys with mad flying skillz don't understand what it's like to be rotary-wing defective; some of us have the gift, some don't. I'm also First-Person-Shooter defective; you know, the guy who ALWAYS eventually winds up in a corner looking at his feet. For however long it takes someone to fragg me. ;P

My talent - "The Knack" - is my gift. I'm really good at fixing and building machines; I am a natural-born mechanic, in the old meaning of the term. Fortunately, I also take enough joy in that aspect of this hobby that I don't mind not being a very good pilot. Those skills will come; when they do, I'll feel as silly and giddy as I did after finishing my first stock car race.

Oh, and BTW, Bob... CURSEYOU. I'm still not fully conversant in programming for CCPM, and now you've got me thinking about flybarless on my HDX... shame on you. :P

mnem
Oh Neo, you lucky SOB. "I know Kung-Fu" indeed.
Old 08-10-2012, 02:43 AM
rikybob

ORIGINAL: mnemennth

Here's the funny thing. Many of the folks have a ''clone at home'' and all use bargain batteries from, YOU guessed it! Hobby King! I spend my time being evangelical about the virtues of starting off with say a ''Leaders Hobby'' ''All up'' kit for 150 bux as a GREAT starter. Then if it ''gels'' with you push on up the ladder to more substantial parts at your LHS. But as I told the owners son at my LHS yesterday, starting off with a 1200USD 450 and computer radio and DITCHING same then not having the stomach/wallet to continue doesn't get someone in his front door. Recidivism has screeched to a halt at that point. I KNOW of which I speak!

I know EXACTLY what you mean Bob. I got started with a used Align 450SE off of Craigslist; it was in good shape, the seller flew it for me before we closed the deal. It was complete, all Align sans battery & radio for $195. I took it home & floundered about with the OEM Manual I found online and lurking about the groups, then a lot of time TRYING to figure out how to set up my new TGY-9X (which I was lucky (?) enough to catch actually IN STOCK after clicking on a random ad for what seemed like an unbelievable price), then I found Mikey's RC and his setup videos and was able to at least get it set up to hover. For a few minutes. Then a sudden gust of maybe 5-7 mph wind pushed it into one of the trees at each corner of the yard, and massive trauma. The helicopter suffered, too. I put it all up for a couple months, then bought an Align 450V2 parts unit for $120, and again pieced them together into one flightworthy craft. Another nice day, this time dead still and I lasted several attempts and hops and jumps before I got in over my head and wound up digging a moat with the mainblades and cracking the same chassis half I cracked on the first one and stripping out two more servos, bent mainshaft, tailshaft, whateverelseyoucanthinkofshaft, etc.

At this point I was really frustrated so I got rid of the remains to a neighbor kid; they mocked me silently from their box on the top shelf. I kept the radio; I had 3 RX for it plus it would bind with all my cars and boats that ran on my FS-GT3B. Later, after building a couple electric ARFs from HK, I got an education into how much the parts I let go with those broken T-Rexes were worth, even the broken servos. Ah well. I REALLY didn't want to mow the yard that month.

That's when I made the mistake of signing up for HK's mailing list; soon I had a dozen things on my wish list, and BAM! the 450GT knocked on my eMail with its tiny pricetag and shiny CNC work, and that was all she wrote. $60 for the kit and a motor & ESC. $100 for another plane and a bag of bits & bobs to finish the assembly. I had a brand new bird, ready to fly, for half what my used TRex cost. I kept it up; Build, Fly Crash, Repeat. STILL cheap... and it STILL kept me off the streets. And sober. Which made my wife Then I got the EXI 450Pro, cuz Mikey liked it. Twice as much as my HK450GT, but by then I had enough spares to finish it without buying anything but a cheap Gyro. I soon discovered the joys of shaft drive and excessive headspeed-induced blade-wrap on my shiny new CF tailboom... ouch. [img][/img]

At this time I discovered coaxials; bought a couple big ones, couple little ones, put the CPs on the shelf for a day with a little more experience under my belt. I SEVERELY modded a DH9101 and a 9118; I STILL enjoy flying them every now and then. Then I tripped over one of the auctions from LeadersHobby for the glas/plastic Hausler/Aeolian 450 RTF. Won it for $79 shipped. Thin chassis and plastic aside, this bird was what got me back into CPs. It flew straight out of the box better than any of the ones I'd built myself; starting out with a radio that was configured close to right made understanding how to program a radio for CCPM SO MUCH EASIER.

On top of it all - my firsty actual dead-tree manual. That Hausler 450 manual... it is SO MUCH clearer and more straightforward than any of the Align manuals I'd downloaded; in my mind, THAT ALONE was worth the price I paid, plus I got the same radio Mikey used in his vids, so I was able to go back and relearn what he was talking about in the radio setup. All in all, just for the education it was a massive bargain, plus I STILL keep flogging the heli. Yes, it's about as rigid as a wet noodle but it is also VERY forgiving to beginners, and the flex means the chassis doesn't break as easily. Plus, it is EASY to service; this bird was designed to be easy to take apart. Which I do. A LOT.

I know you guys with mad flying skillz don't understand what it's like to be rotary-wing defective; some of us have the gift, some don't. I'm also First-Person-Shooter defective; you know, the guy who ALWAYS eventually winds up in a corner looking at his feet. For however long it takes someone to fragg me. ;P

My talent - ''The Knack'' - is my gift. I'm really good at fixing and building machines; I am a natural-born mechanic, in the old meaning of the term. Fortunately, I also take enough joy in that aspect of this hobby that I don't mind not being a very good pilot. Those skills will come; when they do, I'll feel as silly and giddy as I did after finishing my first stock car race.

Oh, and BTW, Bob... CURSE YOU. I'm still not fully conversant in programming for CCPM, and now you've got me thinking about flybarless on my HDX... shame on you. :P

mnem
Oh Neo, you lucky SOB. ''I know Kung-Fu'' indeed.

Wow Mnem, that is quite the odyssey!

Funny as it's not too different than mine or many others!

You have a number of things going for you!

1) Persistence

2) Mechanical ability

3) Mild insanity

I am however trying to figure out your actual skill level. Can you hover and do circuits to date??

My three or so year endeavor took my from coaxial to disappointment with a CP to a certain Evil British Overload goading me back into CP with the HK450 GT of which I still fly to this day!

I would HAVE to agree with you that with the advent of FBL and your obvious persistence in this arena, I would buy good, repairable cyclic servos (Align DS410) and a good tail servo (Align DS520) and at a minimum the[link=http://www.ehirobo.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=11109]CopterX 3X1000[/link] FBL three axis Gyro along with the USB computer link.

At HobbyKing you can by the 15USD FBL head (Less if you luck into a swarm sale) and join the legions who are FBL!

If you follow our friend Simon's (aka EBO) [link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGpRUQZB0ag]video's[/link] you will have a MUCH MORE STABLE platform on which to learn! Additionally all the Bell Hiller parts and pieces don't fare well after crashes and serve to have odd vibrations and screw with your learning process.

Something to consider as you slip down the "rabbit hole"!

All the best!

b

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGpRUQZB0ag[/youtube]

Old 08-10-2012, 03:50 AM
Kozzy_98

@mnem - I started out in the hobby cause of the combination of electrical (which I am good at) and mechanical which I want to develop.

Old 08-10-2012, 05:53 AM
rikybob

Hiya Kidz!

Had a real nice morning. Put 7 lipos through my Blade MCP X after a new main motor install (took 12 minutes)!

I kinda got to where I wasn't flying it as it was bogging. It doesn't bog now but I see weakness in my Hyperions.

Kinda funny in that we expect our bigger 11.1v lipos to last perhaps years but these little ones have a VERY finite life!

Anyhooooo, enjoy the blater!

b

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvfTJBE7AI4[/youtube]
Old 08-10-2012, 06:22 AM
ingleburn

No flying this weekend because of this.
Might change tail servos on the FB'd GT and play around with the tail of the FBL one.
Hope the rest of you are luckier.
Old 08-10-2012, 06:31 AM
ingleburn

Hiya Kidz!

Had a real nice morning. Put 7 lipos through my Blade MCP X after a new main motor install (took 12 minutes)!

I kinda got to where I wasn't flying it as it was bogging. It doesn't bog now but I see weakness in my Hyperions.

Kinda funny in that we expect our bigger 11.1v lipos to last perhaps years but these little ones have a VERY finite life!

Anyhooooo, enjoy the blater!

b

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvfTJBE7AI4
Not happy that your Hyperions are failing.
Thought they might be better than the HK ones. But the ammount of time I get to fly they should be ok for a while.

Old 08-10-2012, 06:53 AM
rikybob

@ Ingleburn - Hope the Wx looks up! As far as the Hyperions vs. the Nano's. The Hyperions are light years ahead. I routinely fly 6/7 batteries in one lick so I cycle them with frequency! The Hyperions stand out!

All the best!

b
Old 08-10-2012, 08:59 AM
Ddaddy

Hey mnem,

Don't tell anyone I said this...but some of us, not me ,went FBL because we...I mean they... couldn't program ccpm either (i.e. no programing really required, handled in the fbl unit).

Remember, mum's the word.

Cheers,
Ken
Old 08-10-2012, 09:26 AM
rikybob

ORIGINAL: Ddaddy

Hey mnem,

Don't tell anyone I said this...but some of us, not me [img][/img], went FBL because we...I mean they... couldn't program ccpm either (i.e. no programing really required, handled in the fbl unit).

Cheers,
Ken

+1!

Just follow Simon's viddy!

Jst keep in mind that when you patronize Simons Youtube site you are perpetuating "serf beating" all over the world!

b
Old 08-10-2012, 10:33 AM
Ddaddy

Jst keep in mind that when you patronize Simons Youtube site you are perpetuating "serf beating" all over the world!

b
Umm, don't know if your complimenting or complaining! I know this serf likes to be beat on occansion

Wait a minute..is Simon the beater or the beaty?

Oh, btw b, wacthed you latest vid...How do we pronounce mnem?!

Ken

Old 08-10-2012, 10:36 AM
rikybob

Jst keep in mind that when you patronize Simons Youtube site you are perpetuating ''serf beating'' all over the world!

b
Umm, don't know if your complimenting or complaining! I know this serf likes to be beat on occansion [img][/img]

Wait a minute..is Simon the beater or the beaty? [img][/img]

Oh, btw b, wacthed you latest vid...How do we pronounce mnem?!

Ken

I think Simon is the beatER!

I have NO idea how to pronounce mnem!

Did you like my try??

b
Old 08-10-2012, 04:11 PM
oldfrog
My Feedback: (1)

Tail boom and reloading,

Okay folks, tonight I managed to solve the problem of my 450 tail boom twisting. The way
I solved it was by using a SPENT 40 cal S&W cartridge, it was not resized and it was a perfect
fit in the boom. I used a 25/64 th transfer punch to hold the casing and cut the head off, then
used a case chamfering cutter to remove the burrs. The boom that was giving me trouble was
a Tarot brand boom which seems to be of soft material. The end result is...the boom no longer
collapse in the boom clamp.

On another note, I found that my Ohaus 10-10 reloading scale makes a great blade balancer
too. I found that even though you by a large batch of HK blades of the same manufacture, that
the weights were from 250 grains up to 400 grains. It took some time to match up several
blades into pairs, but it was doable.

Okay, now for feathering shaft o-ring. I find that...AS568-006S square o-rings work real
well and they have a durometer of 70. I place them on the feathering shaft and tuck them
into the head, they have been working really good.

Roger
Old 08-10-2012, 05:17 PM
ingleburn

Hey mnem,

Don't tell anyone I said this...but some of us, not me [img][/img],went FBL because we...I mean they... couldn't program ccpm either (i.e. no programing really required, handled in the fbl unit).

Cheers,
Ken

+1!

b
Simon should put an addition on his programming video to include this for using the new firmware. Will save a lot of heartache.
Upgraded mine but havent had a chance to test.

Old 08-10-2012, 05:39 PM
ahamay

Hey mnem,
Don't tell anyone I said this...but some of us, not me [img][/img],went FBL because we...I mean they... couldn't program ccpm either (i.e. no programing really required, handled in the fbl unit).
Cheers,
Ken
+1!
b
Simon should put an addition on his programming video to include this for using the new firmware. Will save a lot of heartache.
Yes a follow up vid on upgrading firmware would be handy and it's not straight forward if you have not done it before.

With regards to upgrading firmware to the latest version, I have mixed feelings on this. I do a lot of firmware upgrades on electrical components on a daily basis and they are not always a good thing. I would only upgrade the firmware on your zyx to v 3.5 if you have an issue that the new firmware will correct at this point in time....as it's early days and there are quite a few people that have unexplained crashes after updating.

The thing is with firmware that it may fix some known issues but could just as easily introduce other issues. Having to decrease the PID values is an example and there is ovbiously something else going on with this firmware. Personally I won't be upgrading untill it's proven stable.

Jonesy

Old 08-10-2012, 07:57 PM
ingleburn

ORIGINAL: ahamay

Hey mnem,
Cheers,
Ken
+1!
b
Yes a follow up vid on upgrading firmware would be handy and it's not straight forward if you have not done it before.

With regards to upgrading firmware to the latest version, I have mixed feelings on this. I do a lot of firmware upgrades on electrical components on a daily basis and they are not always a good thing. I would only upgrade the firmware on your zyx to v 3.5 if you have an issue that the new firmware will correct at this point in time....as it's early days and there are quite a few people that have unexplained crashes after updating.

The thing is with firmware that it may fix some known issues but could just as easily introduce other issues. Having to decrease the PID values is an example and there is ovbiously something else going on with this firmware. Personally I won't be upgrading untill it's proven stable.

Jonesy

+1 on that Jonesy.
If it aint broke dont touch it. If mine suffers thens its ok. I want to put the Inolab servos in it anyway and that will give me the excuse. Then it will be reflashed with the earlier firmware.

Old 08-10-2012, 08:01 PM
ingleburn

@ Jonesy. Did you sort the tail out and if so what was the problem.
Old 08-10-2012, 08:36 PM
ahamay

@ Jonesy. Did you sort the tail out and if so what was the problem.
Yeah I did. It was a combination of things and I don't know exactly what it was. Ireplaced the tail grip bearings as one of them was a bit notchy but it wasn't that. I'm certain it was a programming error as Iwas using the tarot software and Irestored a saved file but only some of the settings restored. There was also a mix up on the condition 0 and condition 1 settings. I did get a few mm of extra tail slider movement in one direction adjusting the limits.

The best thing I did was to reduce the rc deadband on the tail down to 10.

That's all probably no help ,but I've only ever had that wierd tail thing with the zyx-s not on the zyx v1 which Ihave on the GT.

Old 08-10-2012, 09:29 PM
Ddaddy

The 3.5 helped my 500 a little with wobbles but other things were done too..Did develop a drift, right yaw, small but has o be corrected a few times during flight.

My 450 has original cx1000 firmware and I aint touching that! Have thought about trying to flash the zyx to the cx firmware on my 450.

Back to the 500...ordered a new swash...I know it will help but hope that's the final bit!

Ken

PS I think it's pronounced "neam" as mneme is pronounce "knee me"

Old 08-10-2012, 09:36 PM
ingleburn

The 3.5 helped my 500 a little with wobbles but other things were done too..Did develop a drift, right yaw, small but has o be corrected a few times during flight.

My 450 has original cx1000 firmware and I aint touching that! Have thought about trying to flash the zyx to the cx firmware on my 450.

Back to the 500...ordered a new swash...I know it will help but hope that's the final bit!

Ken

PS I think it's pronounced "neam" as mneme is pronounce "knee me"

That seems to be the main problem that Ive been hearing from the other forums as well.
Hopefully an upgrade soon to correct the yawing.
My main problem seems to be removing the slop from the tail pitch slider.
Simon put me onto some parts from LH but used them in the other 2 so might have to do a search and order some more.
Saw your vid on the slop you had in the swash so hopefully the new 1 fixes it.

Old 08-10-2012, 10:01 PM
mnemennth

Wow Mnem, that is quite the odyssey!

Funny as it's not too different than mine or many others!

You have a number of things going for you!

1) Persistence

2) Mechanical ability

3) Mild insanity

I am however trying to figure out your actual skill level. Can you hover and do circuits to date??

My three or so year endeavor took my from coaxial to disappointment with a CP to a certain Evil British Overload goading me back into CP with the HK450 GT of which I still fly to this day!

I would HAVE to agree with you that with the advent of FBL and your obvious persistence in this arena, I would buy good, repairable cyclic servos (Align DS410) and a good tail servo (Align DS520) and at a minimum the[link=http://www.ehirobo.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=11109]CopterX 3X1000[/link] FBL three axis Gyro along with the USB computer link.

At HobbyKing you can by the 15USD FBL head (Less if you luck into a swarm sale) and join the legions who are FBL!

If you follow our friend Simon's (aka EBO) [link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGpRUQZB0ag]video's[/link] you will have a MUCH MORE STABLE platform on which to learn! Additionally all the Bell Hiller parts and pieces don't fare well after crashes and serve to have odd vibrations and screw with your learning process.

Something to consider as you slip down the "rabbit hole"!

All the best!

b
Bob -

I have not yet flown a whole pack without crashing. (This doesn't count "controlled skidding" across the floor) Others have flown my birds; and while they are definitely not perfect, even by a long shot, they are DEFINITELY flyable and capable of basic 3D maneuvers. I've gotten VERYgood at the mechanicals, and most of my recent most successful attempts have been using the FS-CT6B radio, which I only need to trim out once I rebuild/replace servos and get the pitch/tracking right again.

I DO have a flybarless heli; my wife bought me the Genius CP as a present since the 6-axis Gyro seemed just the ticket for clumsy old me. It lasted about 6 packs of tentative hover/skip/drag and about 2 evenings of Radd's Flight School before I slipped up and fed it to the ceiling light in the garage and bent motors & stuff. I have all new brushless for it, just not had any time for a project that involved, since I found the Walkera BL tail is notorious for not working worth beans. I figure the next time I'm ordering parts I'll get stock motors and try my hand at it again, only this time, rather than just jump it right out of the box I'll program it with the "BEGINNER" settings that several forums have posted as a good starting place.

Mnementh is a dragon from the Pern series by Anne McCaffery; it's pronounced nem-enn-th. He's my online alter-ego. I got the nick from my habit of "burning threads" in several forums I frequented; I was a serial troll-roaster.

mnem
That's right; a dragon who can't fly. Yes, I get the irony. };-)~~~~<
Old 08-11-2012, 12:21 AM
Kozzy_98

Hey mnem, have you modded your 9x with the ER-9X firmware?I heard that it makes the radio a whole lot better and it is something I am considering as a side project one day.. Mind you I have a DX6i so I won't need the 9X for a while, perhaps when I need some more models.

Was looking around on HK and I thought to myself that it may be a good idea to start a 500GT in the future. The kit is only 10 bux more than the 450GT, the servos will be a bit more expensive, but I am sure it will be alot more stable in the air. I can only dream at the moment!

Old 08-11-2012, 12:45 AM
ingleburn

ORIGINAL: Kozzy_98

Hey mnem, have you modded your 9x with the ER-9X firmware?I heard that it makes the radio a whole lot better and it is something I am considering as a side project one day.. Mind you I have a DX6i so I won't need the 9X for a while, perhaps when I need some more models.

Was looking around on HK and I thought to myself that it may be a good idea to start a 500GT in the future. The kit is only 10 bux more than the 450GT, the servos will be a bit more expensive, but I am sure it will be alot more stable in the air. I can only dream at the moment!

Baby steps Kozzy. They may be more stable but a crash will cost a lot more.

Old 08-11-2012, 03:52 AM
rikybob

@ Oldfrog - "Adapt and overcome"! Pure genius! Glad you got it sorted!

@ Ingleburn - Simone DOES need to do a follow up ala this skit in [link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwTqC2T6q4E]Monty Pythons![/link]

@ Jonesy - I'm a "self taught computer genius" and I got skreeewed on firm ware upgrades once then the "forums" taught me something a friend of mine (Bob) taught Simon, "If it ain't broke....." My two Copter X (ZYX) are flying wonderfully! Forgot about your tail! When in doubt, replace EVERTHING! Glad it's sorted!

@ mnem - Great explanation on your nom de plume! I'll give you some unsolicited advice (ya I know), pick a platform, let's say the HK450 GT and stay with it until you learn to fly. DO NOT FLY in your garage. DO use training wheels for the 1st 1 hour of flying. DO ask us how to set up your radio. Simon I think can help with the HK version but I know DX6i's and the DX7. DO quizz us on how to get that thang up in the air. The 1st year I crashed at least 8/10 times but after that I kind didn't crash so much! Use our advice/expertise, it's what we are here for!

Apparently you are a maniac. We will get along very well!

@ Kozz - You don't need a 500 yet. See above advice to mnem. Kozz, are you successfully flying to date?? If not you need to get with your brothers (uncles?) Phil and Rob and get shum schickt time! Can ya'll "buddy box?"

Off to "work"!

All the best!

Yer pal in heli's

Brian
Old 08-11-2012, 04:50 AM
Kozzy_98

Wasn't able to get much stick time this week due to the weather, so I had two flights of the MCPX to keep my thumbs in shape. First lipo was just a hover in the living room with a couple of piros, but with the second lipo I used the IdleUp switch for the first time, keeping in mind that mid stick is zero, I didn't crash!

Hopefully the weather clears up so I can fly my recently repaired 450#1

Also decided that 30% expo is a tad too much for me. Will try tomorrow with 25%. Next adjustment that I will make is increasing the rates.

Sometimes I get a vibration in the body, kind of an oscillation, like the gain is set too high. Am I not letting the gyros initialise properly? Or is it a problem with the swash?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.