Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
Reload this Page >

Time to go FBL on my 'ol 450 SE V2

Community
Search
Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

Time to go FBL on my 'ol 450 SE V2

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 05:38 PM
markind

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time to go FBL on my 'ol 450 SE V2

I've done really well with my stock SE V2 over the years.

I learned how to fly it, basically, and rather like an airplane. Basic loops and rolls.

300 flights and no crashes!! Well, until last week... [:@]

But it was all good. After repairs were done she still flies perfectly like a swiss watch, EXCEPT -

For a little wag in the tail I never noticed before, and a slight aberration in cyclic response. Detailed inspection revealed a tiny bit of play in the tail bearings, and in the swash. Mostly due to normal wear!!! LOL!!!

So now I am thinking just go FBL, and (why not) TT as well.

Any favorite kits, combos, or related products you think I should look at?

T H A N K S ! !

~mArK
Old 09-03-2012, 07:43 PM
madmorgan
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Time to go FBL on my 'ol 450 SE V2

tt is great for when you have to repair and replace the boom but seriously  i had ty t500 and was dinkin with piro's and a hard gust of wind came up and i  touched down a bit heavy , i didnt scrape any blades but the  front umbrella gear stripped just like that !  also good luck on trying to find one that isnt tweaked a bit which will cause vibes. as far as  fbl controllers  i have a skookum 360 and a mikado vbar 5.0 on my t600  they both fly well  and they both setup pretty much headache free. on that note i have read aligns controllers are a sob.
Old 09-04-2012, 06:21 AM
augerin2

Don't know about the 3 gx units, but my 3 G on my 550 is very easy to set up. Mine is a v2 3g so now issues . I'd say find a used 3g and have fun. The 3 gx will require a rx if you don't have at least a 7 ch tx
Old 09-04-2012, 11:03 AM
nothinbetr2do

for a fbl control unit, get yourself a beastx. i have 4 of them and they all work great. don't forget to get a satellite and an adapter, so you don't need to use a receiver
Old 09-04-2012, 11:48 AM
madmorgan
My Feedback: (2)

to the op  see theres so many to choose from lol  i guess its up to your wallett  but theres plenty of forums on pretty much anything out there.
Old 09-04-2012, 03:48 PM
markind

These are great tips thanks all!

@madmorgan, thank you for your service.

I see where this is going - maybe I should retire / sell the old gal, and kit up a new FBL / TT bird.

I guess I am happy with the motor / pinion / servos / gear / ESC of the stock setup, BUT you guys will probably recommend Digital Metal Gear servos all around, and my rcvr is only a lowly, ancient, 6-ch AR6000, so that's out too.

I gotta think on this a bit, she still flies good enough for me for now... [&:]

Final questions on the tail drive? I guess there is no big compulsion to "upgrade" from a belt drive tail?

Also, is it a good idea, or a waste, to get specially weighted tail blade grips (which are supposed to reduce loading on the tail servo)?
Old 09-04-2012, 03:50 PM
markind

duped post
Old 09-04-2012, 05:04 PM
ehernan3

I converted my TREX 450 Sport with a BeastX and love it. I still use the stock Align servos. The Sport has belt drive, and since I still sometimes fly beyond my abilities, I can personally vouch for sticking with the belt and not the less robust TT. For the head, I purchased an RJX unit, right BEFORE Align announced their DFC head [:@].

If you decide to go with the BeastX, there is a forum that posts all the parameter settings that people use here on Universe.
Old 09-05-2012, 02:49 PM
markind

This is great info, thanks! I could not find or figure out any physics that would suggest TT is better than belt. Especially after lubing up the belt system with teflon spray - it's soooo smooth and slick. Also, I'm not that great a pilot so... [:-]

I think I will just replace the worn bearings in the tail and call that end of it good.

Oh good! I can still use my MG-65s when I go FBL, and they are supposed to work with a Tarot ZYX (found on fee Bay for $45, ugh!).

Now I shop for a 7-ch rcvr... I look forward to figuring out the USB programming side of it.

Edit: Hold the phone, I think I can use my old AR6000 with the ZYX...