Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 17 of 80 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: HK-450GT CCPM Alloy T-Rex compatible - Part III

So here's my plan, each night I "Light" on a part for the HK550 TT from Hobbyking.

In doing so, a "pop up" occurs and I get about 5% knocked of the street value!

If I don that on ALL my purchases I get a pretty good break on the project, right???

b

EDIT: Apparently you only save 5.15 USD on the purchase of an HK550. It's just a few percent. Bettern' nuttin' I rekon!

FrSky Taranis (rev B) w/ Spektrum Module/ Spektrum DX7/ Align 500CF FBL w/ FU-BAR Gyro / Blade MCP X Brushless Mod / Red and Blue Nirvana II one meter sail boats / HobbyKing "Swamp Dawg" / Slow Stick / HK Firefly Q450 Quad w/ HK Mega FC board / Durafly T-28 / H/H Icon - A5 X 2.5/ E Flite Piper L-4/ Parkzone UM T-28 / HK Fox Glider / Fat Shark Attitudes FPV Goggles / Mobius Actioncam / Teksumo /1200mm Popwing/ SFFD Fire boat / QAV250 FPV (Afromini!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I use a combination of cable ties as well as the hot glue!!

Well, I have been trying to cut down on the hot glue lately, and to good results.

I actually use the standard servo screws as they have a washer already on them. This gives them the surface area to hold the servo in place. The servo screws in my helicopters that have HK929/939MG servos are like clamps. Screws come on the inside against the servo horn, and come out to the outside of the frame. This means that I need to hacksaw the ends of my screws, but that's only a small matter. Now I have a dremel!

Need to get outside and fly! Mabye take one of the belts from the other helicopters and stick it on the beast. If the belt gears are worn out, the helicopter turns into spare parts!
    Helis: HK450GT - Typhoon 2215+Spektrum AR6200X, HK450G/MT - Typhoon 2218+Orange6chRX, MCPX

Transmitter: Spektrum DX6i

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Kozzy_98

I use a combination of cable ties as well as the hot glue!!

Well, I have been trying to cut down on the hot glue lately, and to good results.

I actually use the standard servo screws as they have a washer already on them. This gives them the surface area to hold the servo in place. The servo screws in my helicopters that have HK929/939MG servos are like clamps. Screws come on the inside against the servo horn, and come out to the outside of the frame. This means that I need to hacksaw the ends of my screws, but that's only a small matter. Now I have a dremel!

Need to get outside and fly! Mabye take one of the belts from the other helicopters and stick it on the beast. If the belt gears are worn out, the helicopter turns into spare parts!

I LOVE my Dremel!

Go fly!

b
    FrSky Taranis (rev B) w/ Spektrum Module/ Spektrum DX7/ Align 500CF FBL w/ FU-BAR Gyro / Blade MCP X Brushless Mod / Red and Blue Nirvana II one meter sail boats / HobbyKing "Swamp Dawg" / Slow Stick / HK Firefly Q450 Quad w/ HK Mega FC board / Durafly T-28 / H/H Icon - A5 X 2.5/ E Flite Piper L-4/ Parkzone UM T-28 / HK Fox Glider / Fat Shark Attitudes FPV Goggles / Mobius Actioncam / Teksumo /1200mm Popwing/ SFFD Fire boat / QAV250 FPV (Afromini!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Actually you can cheat the HK one time offer...

Changing my IP address has worked well for me, at the same time using a different web browser. Make sure you add the items while you ain't logged in, otherwise the popup never comes.

For things like Heatshrink, plugs and wires, you can use 4mm gold connectors combo price inurl:hobbyking.com in google. Just replace 4mm gold connectors with your item of choice. I haven't been able to find any results for Plush 30 and 40 ESCs, however I have been able to find many for various other ESCs, especially HK SS escs.

Also the occasional buddy code helps, and you can make quite a few $ on some buddy code websites such as this. I currently have $13.40 in bonus points, which amounts to nearly one LiPo!
    Helis: HK450GT - Typhoon 2215+Spektrum AR6200X, HK450G/MT - Typhoon 2218+Orange6chRX, MCPX

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Actually you can cheat the HK one time offer...

Changing my IP address has worked well for me, at the same time using a different web browser. Make sure you add the items while you ain't logged in, otherwise the popup never comes.

For things like Heatshrink, plugs and wires, you can use 4mm gold connectors combo price inurl:hobbyking.com in google. Just replace 4mm gold connectors with your item of choice. I haven't been able to find any results for Plush 30 and 40 ESCs, however I have been able to find many for various other ESCs, especially HK SS escs.

Also the occasional buddy code helps, and you can make quite a few $ on some buddy code websites such as this. I currently have $13.40 in bonus points, which amounts to nearly one LiPo!

Yah, the buddy codes have been very good to me over time!

Just going through a "lull" of sorts in the hobby. Been at it since 2007 and it's not "lighting my fire" of late.

Just found a 550e super combo!

THAT would take ALL the guess work out of a build but 250 in batteries brings the project to over 1000k!

Man, that's "Jonesy cash"!

Decisions, decisions!

b

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: rikybob

Yah, the buddy codes have been very good to me over time!

Just going through a "lull" of sorts in the hobby. Been at it since 2007 and it's not "lighting my fire" of late.

Just found a 550e super combo!

THAT would take ALL the guess work out of a build but 250 in batteries brings the project to over 1000k!

Man, that's "Jonesy cash"!

Decisions, decisions!

b
    Whats this Jonesy cash you speak of ?

Tarot 500 FBL ZYX-S, Tarot 450 PRO V2 FBL ZYX , Tarot 450 PRO V2 FBL ZYX-S , MCPx V2, Nano CPx, Q450 Quad (APM 2.5), AXN Floater Jet, Tek Sumo Flying Wing

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey Brian, Well it made it today at 4pm to my work! It was so tempting to open but i said i would do a unboxing video so here it is!!!
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-eQsapnbw4[/youtube]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

As I waited for two hours for the video to upload I did a little ckout and lock tite.
    The main rotor head had locktite PIA to get apart lubed and greased it all. The hardware is ok no striped scews yet.
    It seems to be of good quality. the main frame had some locktite but not on all screws.
      The one thing that has been a little confusing is the landing gear? One gear is wider than the other, after some expermanting
    I found that the wider gear needs to be on the front so the heli sits level, also had to sand the wide gear flat.
      Thats as far as i have got so far I thing it will be a good heli.
       Hugh
    P.S. I hope to madin her this weekend!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: hugj

Hey Brian, Well it made it today at 4pm to my work! It was so tempting to open but i said i would do a unboxing video so here it is!!!
    I have some observations:

1) I'm painfully jealous!

2) One must be smarter than ones box!

3) I KNEW that POS canopy would be busted! Seriously, why bother it's ugly anyway!

4) Posh Git new canopy! Dang thing cost as 1/2 as much as the heli!!!

5) I'm really painfully jealous!

Many congrats! Great viddy and look forward to the maiden!

Remind me what kind of gyro we're running??

b

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thank's and the wifie picked out the canopy and order it, being out of work i'm beging to wonder where she get's the money?
    As far as gyro the orginal beastx is going to find it's way on this one.
    I sure hope it will fly better than the century, well I hopeI do not have as may problems, the swift flw great but every time something broke!!
    anyways the build will be fun, and a adventure!
    Hugh

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thank's and the wifie picked out the canopy and order it, being out of work i'm beging to wonder where she get's the money?
    Β*As far as gyro the orginal beastx is going to find it's way on this one.
    I sure hope it will fly better than the century, well I hopeΒ*I do not have as may problems, the swift flw great but every time something broke!!
    anyways the build will be fun, and a adventure!
    Hugh
    Β*
    I'm sure it will be fine!

I look forward to the viddy this weekend!

b

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks Brian I iwll I hope! Now to get some sleep or contiue the build? My body say's sleep but the brain say's go ahead get her done!
    I think the sleep will be the right thing to do so no mistakes are made.
    BTY the align kit you posted is not to bad of a deal but I think on rcu a guy has the same kit for less I will ck and get back to you.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

found it check it out. not bad If i did not have all the other goodies this is a goodeal.
    http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=870531

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: ahamay

ORIGINAL: mnemennth
    With my 450Pro build, I started using moulding tape (the really sticky black foam mounting tape they make to hold trim & moulding onto cars) cut into 3mm wide strips to hold down my wires instead of zip ties; the ones you see on my HK450GT are still there only because I've never had that 50A Red Brick ESC out of the heli since I first built it. The moulding tape will work around curves and bends if you keep it nice & narrow, and it completely disappears under the wire if you're careful laying it down.
    Ihave the two PRO's now both torque tube and Ican say they are an absolute delight to work on after the GT or SE V2 style frame. Ialso hate those little alloy washers that you put on all the screws. The moulding tape looks like it does a good job.
    In comparison to the V2/V3? I'm sorry... I have to disagree. The entire setup of the main bearing block SUCKS; and it wouldn't SUCK if they'd just done one thing:Made it one piece like the Tarot. Then you could put your servos in, tighten 'em down and drop the whole thing in the heli, rather than fart around with snugging them down, putting it together, nothing lining up until you loosen the servos, take the plastic bulkhead off so you can get to the servo screws after the head's installed... uggh. My gonads ache just thinking about it.

I would MUCHprefer the TT 450V3 to the 450Pro; and if I actually buy another 450 after the ones I have, that'll probably be it. I understand the goodness that is equilateral link length; but HDX did it better before them and I'm already tired of working on my 450Pro, which is why I'm working on the 450GT. Unless somebody in the aftermarket makes a 1-piece bearing block for the Pro; THATwould be a game-changer for me. Then the Pro could be what it should have been all along.

As for the little button-head washers... you hate them why? I love 'em; I use 'em for nearly everything EXCEPT their intended purpose. I dig the look of the broader button-head screws on the 450Pro, don't get me wrong. But all the button-heads in plastic parts are just plain too short; they strip out too easily. Then you're stuck looking for a replacement and it's inevitably philips pan-head. Yuck.

mnem
    *Screwed*

*HK450GTV2/Hausler450V2/EXI450Pro/HDX450/V911/V913/V959/GeniusCP/AxiusCP/9XR/DEVO-7*

Cub Brother #144 - \"The Gross\"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

With my 450Pro build, I started using moulding tape (the really sticky black foam mounting tape they make to hold trim & moulding onto cars) cut into 3mm wide strips to hold down my wires instead of zip ties; the ones you see on my HK450GT are still there only because I've never had that 50A Red Brick ESC out of the heli since I first built it. The moulding tape will work around curves and bends if you keep it nice & narrow, and it completely disappears under the wire if you're careful laying it down.
    Ihave the two PRO's now both torque tube and Ican say they are an absolute delight to work on after the GT or SE V2 style frame. Ialso hate those little alloy washers that you put on all the screws. The moulding tape looks like it does a good job.
    In comparison to the V2/V3? I'm sorry... I have to disagree. The entire setup of the main bearing block SUCKS; and it wouldn't SUCK if they'd just done one thing:Made it one piece like the Tarot. Then you could put your servos in, tighten 'em down and drop the whole thing in the heli, rather than fart around with snugging them down, putting it together, nothing lining up until you loosen the servos, take the plastic bulkhead off so you can get to the servo screws after the head's installed... uggh. My gonads ache just thinking about it.
    I would MUCHprefer the TT 450V3 to the 450Pro; and if I actually buy another 450 after the ones I have, that'll probably be it. I understand the goodness that is equilateral link length; but HDX did it better before them and I'm already tired of working on my 450Pro, which is why I'm working on the 450GT. Unless somebody in the aftermarket makes a 1-piece bearing block for the Pro; THATwould be a game-changer for me. Then the Pro could be what it should have been all along.
    As for the little button-head washers... you hate them why? I love 'em; I use 'em for nearly everything EXCEPT their intended purpose. I dig the look of the broader button-head screws on the 450Pro, don't get me wrong. But all the button-heads in plastic parts are just plain too short; they strip out too easily. Then you're stuck looking for a replacement and it's inevitably philips pan-head. Yuck.
    mnem
    *Screwed*
    Fair enough...each to their own. I learnt a trick building my second pro (which I did not find out untill later after the first one)... which is to build everything with one side of the frame off, put all your goddies inside the frame...leaving the bearing block screws a bit loose and then slap the other side on with the mainshaft in and it's happy days.

Ireally like the tail setup on the TT PRO, you can replace a rear umbrella gear and tailshaft in about 5 minutes. Replacing a bent belt tailshaft in the V2 is a nightmare in comparison.

Ideally it's best to build once and fly many... then its' not really an issue on any bird

Jonesy

Tarot 500 FBL ZYX-S, Tarot 450 PRO V2 FBL ZYX , Tarot 450 PRO V2 FBL ZYX-S , MCPx V2, Nano CPx, Q450 Quad (APM 2.5), AXN Floater Jet, Tek Sumo Flying Wing

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

IΒ*have the two PRO's now both torque tube and IΒ*can say they are an absolute delight to work on after the GT or SE V2 style frame. IΒ*also hate those little alloy washers that you put on all the screws.Β* The moulding tape looks like it does a good job.
    In comparison to the V2/V3? I'm sorry... I have to disagree. The entire setup of the main bearing block SUCKS; and it wouldn't SUCK if they'd just done one thing:Β*Made it one piece like the Tarot. Then you could put your servos in, tighten 'em down and drop the whole thing in the heli, rather than fart around with snugging them down, putting it together, nothing lining up until you loosen the servos, take the plastic bulkhead off so you can get to the servo screws after the head's installed... uggh. My gonads ache just thinking about it.
    I would MUCHΒ*prefer the TT 450V3 to the 450Pro; and if I actually buy another 450 after the ones I have, that'll probably be it. I understand the goodness that is equilateral link length; but HDX did it better before them and I'm already tired of working on my 450Pro, which is why I'm working on the 450GT. Unless somebody in the aftermarket makes a 1-piece bearing block for the Pro; THATΒ*would be a game-changer for me. Then the Pro could be what it should have been all along.
    As for the little button-head washers... you hate them why? I love 'em; I use 'em for nearly everything EXCEPT their intended purpose.Β*[img][/img]Β* I dig the look of the broader button-head screws on the 450Pro, don't get me wrong. But all the button-heads in plastic parts are just plain too short; they strip out too easily. Then you're stuck looking for a replacement and it's inevitably philips pan-head. Yuck.
    mnem
    *Screwed*
    Fair enough...each to their own.Β* I learnt a trick building my second pro (which I did not find out untill later after the first one)... which is to build everything with one side of the frame off, put all your goddies inside the frame...leaving the bearing block screws a bit loose and then slap the other side on with the mainshaft in and it's happy days.

IΒ*really like the tail setup on the TT PRO, you can replace a rear umbrella gear and tailshaft in about 5 minutes.Β* Replacing a bent belt tailshaft in the V2 is a nightmare in comparison.

Ideally it's best to build once and fly many... then its' not really an issue on any bird [img][/img]

Jonesy

The 2nd funniest thing you said next to remarking that you, computer guru didn't have a mic for Phoenix!

You slay me!

b

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

found it check it out. not bad If i did not have all the other goodies this is a goodeal.
    http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=870531
    Cool!

I'm too cheap right now![:@]

I will keep you in mind when I go to find my next deal!!!

b

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well just a quick update for y'all!

Finished building the frame for the quad copter, and make motor extension wires for the ESC. Made out of Tasmanian Red Oak, balsa and light ply wood in a H configuration makes to be a very stiff, strong and lightweight frame! All of it is held together with hot glue, I may put some 30min Epoxy on the corners.

Also flashed the KK board to the XCopter configuration.

FYI, the quad uses four of THESE motors. It will easily carry a GoPro, so it should be good for some aerial shots!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: rikybob

The 2nd funniest thing you said next to remarking that you, computer guru didn't have a mic for Phoenix!

You slay me!

b
    Iwork with them all day.... I don't really need to talk to them as well

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Finished building the frame for the quad copter, and make motor extension wires for the ESC. Made out of Tasmanian Red Oak, balsa and light ply wood in a H configuration makes to be a very stiff, strong and lightweight frame! All of it is held together with hot glue, I may put some 30min Epoxy on the corners.
    How awesome it hot glue. I broke two ses of mcpx landing gear today on two successive flights, both fixed with hot glue...love it

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I've officially become an mcpx injury victim..... yes there was swearing...yes it put a hole in my shirt......and yes there was blood. Didn't stop me from flying but next flight Inailed that sucker into a tree trunk......oh the payback was sweet...untill Ihad to fix my skids lol

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

How awesome it hot glue. I broke two ses of mcpx landing gear today on two successive flights, both fixed with hot glue...love it

I once fixed a broken coffee cup handle with hot glue. Worked a treat till I used it. Guess you know how that ended.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

@ Koz - Looking forward to this project!

@ Jonesy - Sorry to hear about your near fatality! Yah, you will have to write a strongly worded nasty gram to the folks at Horizon about their injurious little beasty!

@ All - I conducted a "wellness check" on Phil and he gives his best. Between a KRAZY work schedule that has him up at all ours of the night communicating with NY, LA etc and the internet constraints on his work PC he simply hasn't had time to check in or even fly!

I hope all is well in your worlds!

b

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Fair enough...each to their own. I learnt a trick building my second pro (which I did not find out untill later after the first one)... which is to build everything with one side of the frame off, put all your goddies inside the frame...leaving the bearing block screws a bit loose and then slap the other side on with the mainshaft in and it's happy days.

Ireally like the tail setup on the TT PRO, you can replace a rear umbrella gear and tailshaft in about 5 minutes. Replacing a bent belt tailshaft in the V2 is a nightmare in comparison.

Ideally it's best to build once and fly many... then its' not really an issue on any bird

Jonesy
    Heh - sick minds... err, great minds think alike. I figured that out building my STK SuperFrame. I couldn't find an HDX450(the heli they eventually built around the SuperFrame) manual online for my older version; I had to "trial &error" it together. The thing that blew my mind on that chassis is how stiff it is; I think it could fly reasonably well assembled with only one side. I started that build before my 450Pro; it's still "In process". I'm buying the parts bit-by-bit; it's actually mostly Align so far. As I get a deal on a bit here and a bit there of the "good stuff", I set it aside for the HDX.

The tail setup on the TT450Pro and the TT450V3 are the same; at least looking at the parts in the Align HS1298 TTupgrade kit and comparing them to my TT450Pro. The only difference I can tell is the HS1303 tube holder assembly. I'm pretty sure anyways cuz I'm looking into it for my HDX; from what I can see, I can rob the entire TTassembly from my TT450Pro and just use the HS1303 to marry it to my HDX. I just wish I could find a CNC HS1303; I'm trying to maximize the anodize BLING! on my HDX.

One thing I found that made a HUGEdifference in my aggravation level on the TT was using the genuine Align "breakaway" driveshaft. Before that it was a crapshoot which gearset was gonna shred; afterwards it was just drop the tail off, drop the shaft, slide new one in, done. On top of that, it cured a resonance vibration issue I had that persisted with 3 different solid shafts. The only time I've needed to replace gears since was when I got a bit of treebark jammed in the gear mesh; that grenaded the entire tail.

"Build once and fly many." A worthy aspiration indeed.

I've officially become an mcpx injury victim..... yes there was swearing...yes it put a hole in my shirt......and yes there was blood. Didn't stop me from flying but next flight Inailed that sucker into a tree trunk......oh the payback was sweet...untill Ihad to fix my skids lol
    This reminds me of my "Love/Hate" relationship with my Genius CP. I'd love to actually fly the thing; it hates me viscerally.

mnem
    "You WILLcrash. Just be glad you're not INit when it happens."
    *HK450GTV2/Hausler450V2/EXI450Pro/HDX450/V911/V913/V959/GeniusCP/AxiusCP/9XR/DEVO-7*

Cub Brother #144 - \"The Gross\"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I once fixed a broken coffee cup handle with hot glue. Worked a treat till I used it. Guess you know how that ended.

And Ithought you were supposed to be the smart one.

Carl Goldberg Ultimate 10-300 Brotherhood. #23

Landing is one aerobatic maneuver that MUST be mastered!

Page 17 of 80 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767 ... LastLast